Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
james22
With da Warlords

Default Flash Tuner Tunes

I'm getting a flash tuner soon for my AU.

Just wanted to know what generic tunes they come with? :

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
james22
With da Warlords

Anyone??????????????????/

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 13-09-2006, 02:33 PM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what kind of flash tuner is it? if it is the capa one then go to their website and it tells you what they are...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
I'm getting a flash tuner soon for my AU.

Just wanted to know what generic tunes they come with? :
Give people time to answer, this is a Form not a Chat Room. By the end of the day Im sure you'll get some answers.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
james22
With da Warlords

Yeah its a CAPA tuner, but its tuned for a 5.4 Boss V8. I need to get it reset by spiro @ autotech. But when it is reset i dont know what tunes will be put in. More importantly i need to get rid of the 180kph speed limiter.

Really s%^ts u off when your halfway down the straight at wakefield park and the limiter comes in, then that annoying rice bubble you were keeping in front of for the entire lap plows past you on the straight grrrrrrrr............. :

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 13-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they come from the factory with 3 tunes, i think they come with a valet tune, a tune for 95 unleaded and 98 unleaded, im not sure about removing the limiter...then again it does reflash the computer so it might...ask spiro if you have to, with an edit you can remove the limiter tho
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #7
xr8man83
Grunt Files

i think it does remove it with the edit it should make your gear changes more snappy if you have a auto that is
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Yeah its a CAPA tuner, but its tuned for a 5.4 Boss V8. I need to get it reset by spiro @ autotech. But when it is reset i dont know what tunes will be put in. More importantly i need to get rid of the 180kph speed limiter.

Really s%^ts u off when your halfway down the straight at wakefield park and the limiter comes in, then that annoying rice bubble you were keeping in front of for the entire lap plows past you on the straight grrrrrrrr............. :
For a start, you will not hit 180 halfway down the straight at Wakefield, so don't try that as an excuse. I have seen some very fast cars at Wakefield, and 160 to 170 at the kink at the end of the straight is about top speed. If you were keeping a "rice bubble" behind you on a lap of wakefield, you were probably holding it up. Wakefield is a handling circuit, not an outright speed circuit. Secondly, the 180 limit is there for a very good reason - the tailshaft is unsafe at speeds over that. Thirdly, 180 on the open road is way illegal, and dangerous. Would hate to see you added to our road toll.

It costs $250 to have the box reset, then the box can take whatever tunes you want it to - it's up to you to specify what you want. My mate has 3 tunes - one for his normal fuel at around 178rwkw, one slightly detuned (more for economy), and one valet tune that restricts the engine to 3000 rpm. There is a spare spot on his flasher box, but it could be used for running normal unleaded instead of premium. In all cases, the torque reduction has been removed, and if it was an auto, the shift points etc could have been changed. Being a manual, though, there was no point changing the shift points, as this is dictated by the driver.

Remember that a 13 second falcon down the quarter is probably pulling 105 to 110 mph. Still below the 180 speed limiter, so there is no need in an everyday car to remove the speed limiter, unless you want to become a statistic - and what would the point of that be? The only reason I can see that you want to remove the limiter is to hit 200 or so down Conrod - as your car is not set up for racing, the bumps on the straight at that speed will more than likely see your car airborn, and when it lands, it could go anywhere.

You seriously need to think about the consequences at driving at such high speeds - none of the consequences are good.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
they come from the factory with 3 tunes, i think they come with a valet tune, a tune for 95 unleaded and 98 unleaded, im not sure about removing the limiter...then again it does reflash the computer so it might...ask spiro if you have to, with an edit you can remove the limiter tho
If it was tuned for a BOSS, there would be no "factory" tune as such left in it. The box has to be tuned for each car. If you buy one with a "generic" tune, it is tuned to be safe as far as AFRs go, so will only show a slight power increase, but may have shift points changed/firmed etc. To get the most out of it still requires a custom tune. As I understand it, most tuners charge around $100 each to change the auto shift points, move rev limiters up (or down), remove speed limiter etc.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 14-09-2006, 12:10 PM   #10
james22
With da Warlords

Its a manual for one. Two it only costs $50 to reset and put in generic tunes at autotech. Three the little "rice bubble" handled like ****, the only reason he got me was because of the hairdryer bolted on. Four the exit speed onto the main straight at wakefield is approx 60kph and the straight has 800metres of usable disttance. PLENTY far enough to accelerate to NEARLY 180kph.

Why i want it removed is, there is now a possibility with the tune that it might run out of puff by the end. And I have gone down conrod at 180kph LEGALLY. I do live around the corner, and there is no chance of getting airborne on conrod straight.

I drive around bathurst every weekend, and always attend the shows and hill climbs.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 14-09-2006, 12:13 PM   #11
james22
With da Warlords

As for the tailshaft? I thought it was only the two piece ones that got unstable, like on the utes? Not sure about that?? And I definitely dont want to be a statistic lol

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 14-09-2006, 12:25 PM   #12
james22
With da Warlords

I mean when you think about it 180+ is possible

If i do a quarter mile, after 400m speed is approx 130-140kph that leaves you 400 EXTRA metres of straight to gain only 40-50KPH.

Of course i'm not quite up to 180 yet but close. Thats why i wanted to know if tune removed the limiter. But if you think the driveshaft might have issues, then i dont know. I'm not exactly trying to kill myself. What would you reccomend I do about that then?

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 14-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #13
xr8man83
Grunt Files

oooo its getting hot in here
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
As for the tailshaft? I thought it was only the two piece ones that got unstable, like on the utes?
Utes have a one peice tailshaft that has a severe vibration once 160/170 is reached. Don't ask how i know that
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #15
james22
With da Warlords

so take off all your clothes lol

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 14-09-2006, 12:31 PM   #16
james22
With da Warlords

yeah i just had the feeling it was utes that got unstable cause the tailsahft is longer than a sedan

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 14-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

sedan tailshafts (apart from the XR ones) are also "whippy" at 180kph. Of course if you change the diff ratio this can come down to around 150kph or so.
Regardless, if you want to attain those sorts of speeds it is recommended that you look at updating the shaft to something that can handle it.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #18
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

or at least put in a tail shaft hoop or 3

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #19
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
or at least put in a tail shaft hoop or 3
yeah, that way it only destroys the tunnel, gearbox, possibly engine and diff..

instead of destroying the tunnel, gearbox, possibly engine and diff as well is impaling itself through the back seat or catapulting you into the trees

Old 14-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #20
james22
With da Warlords

s**t, didnt know that. So what do u guys reccomend. Xr6 driveshaft or something? Where do you get em?
like i said in an earlier post, i want speed, but i'm not out to kill myself

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 14-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #21
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

Sorry to hijack here, I'm also interested in this tuner box. What sort of figures are we looking at with a custom dyno tune? Has anyone had this done on these forums?
Old 14-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #22
Futura01
horsepower

i would imagine grand tourer models like fairmont ghia's and etc. would have better tailshafts !!!
And you could proberly get your tailshaft balanced ?? the same way they do tyres i think ... just have to find a place to do it
Futura01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #23
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura01
i would imagine grand tourer models like fairmont ghia's and etc. would have better tailshafts !!!
No they are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura01
And you could proberly get your tailshaft balanced ?? the same way they do tyres i think ... just have to find a place to do it
The problem with the Falcon tailshafts is that they are very long. The preferred solution is to install a two-piece shaft.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #24
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Just get an XR6HP tailshaft
As for the edit tune, they are fantastic. I've had mine for 6 months now (although I hardly get to drive the car) and its made a huge difference.

Old 14-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #25
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:

Why i want it removed is, there is now a possibility with the tune that it might run out of puff by the end. And I have gone down conrod at 180kph LEGALLY. I do live around the corner, and there is no chance of getting airborne on conrod straight.
legally my ar5e.

the track is a 2 way road with a 60 kp/h limit.

as far as i know, its only closed for motorraces. and how you got your AU on there, ill never know.
Old 14-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #26
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
sedan tailshafts (apart from the XR ones) are also "whippy" at 180kph. Of course if you change the diff ratio this can come down to around 150kph or so.
Regardless, if you want to attain those sorts of speeds it is recommended that you look at updating the shaft to something that can handle it.
With these tailshaft query's eg its not recommended going over the 180 kph with AU tailshaft your best to upgarde to AU XR6 tailshaft. Does the same apply to BA? Was just wondering what sort of speed BA XR6 & BA XT I6 capable of handling?

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #27
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

Quote:
As for the edit tune, they are fantastic. I've had mine for 6 months now (although I hardly get to drive the car) and its made a huge difference.
Nice well i should have it done by this time next month : I didn"t know i could still get this excited :sm_headba
Old 14-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #28
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
With these tailshaft query's eg its not recommended going over the 180 kph with AU tailshaft your best to upgarde to AU XR6 tailshaft. Does the same apply to BA? Was just wondering what sort of speed BA XR6 & BA XT I6 capable of handling?
I'm not too sure about BA's although I know the XR's have a limiter well into the 200's so I assume its something similar. You'd need to ask one of the BA guys for certain though. My guess is that the BA XR's have a significantly improved setup over the AU non XR's anyhow.

Old 14-09-2006, 06:12 PM   #29
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm not too sure about BA's although I know the XR's have a limiter well into the 200's so I assume its something similar. You'd need to ask one of the BA guys for certain though. My guess is that the BA XR's have a significantly improved setup over the AU non XR's anyhow.
Will do. I believe XR6 BA is speed limited to 200 kph even (i cant see myself needing to go faster than this) lol (you can remove that with edit as we all know)

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 06:37 PM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Its a manual for one. Two it only costs $50 to reset and put in generic tunes at autotech. Three the little "rice bubble" handled like ****, the only reason he got me was because of the hairdryer bolted on. Four the exit speed onto the main straight at wakefield is approx 60kph and the straight has 800metres of usable disttance. PLENTY far enough to accelerate to NEARLY 180kph.

I drive around bathurst every weekend, and always attend the shows and hill climbs.
AFAIK, the 180 limit only applies to auto AUs - the manual gearbox is slightly longer than the auto, meaning the tailshaft isn't as long.

You need to get yourself an XR tailshaft if you want to exceed sane speeds. Why you would want to do this, I don't know - there is still plenty of fun to be had up to 180 (legally) on many race ratcks, down the 1/4 etc.

Wakefields stright is not 800mm long - more like 550. Been there many times, and in both my V8 and XR6, I was flat at 160 through the kink. I was behind a supercharged 220 XR8, and he was only about 5km/h quicker through there.