Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should Bathurst 2006 be called the "Peter Brock Bathurst 1000"?
Yes, it should be renamed "Peter Brock Bathurst 1000" 161 48.94%
No, not a good idea. 168 51.06%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #91
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
you're living up to your user title
I still don't see the big deal.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 03:48 PM   #92
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
I still don't see the big deal.
Comments like
Quote:
He drove cars for living and died, big whoop
are a bit harsh, there's a few people greiving about this, to them he is/was an idol. It may not be a big deal to you, but think of others

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #93
XR82GO
AU XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
I like the idea of bringing out all the old cars he drove, to do a hotlap.

He has Brock Skyline named in his honour.

He doesn't need a whole race named after him to be remembered.

www.utez.com.au

Rum Runners Ute Club
XR82GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #94
Boss 260 Ute
Rice aint nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Comments like are a bit harsh, there's a few people greiving about this, to them he is/was an idol. It may not be a big deal to you, but think of others
YEAH!!!
The teletubbies were bred by the wiggles by mating a rhino with a garden gnome. They were intended to be the ultimate warrior for world domination, cute like a gnome, yet violent like a Rhino. Instead they got 4 multicoloured, brainless rhino sized retards.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart
a toll bar hit my car because of my annoying padels
^^Those bastards! LOL
Boss 260 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #95
CATFORD
SCALDED CAT

I dont think it should be named after Brocky.....for one he wouldn't want that.....I believe they should leave pole position vacant in memory for him.....also maybe even a big RIP BROCKY written down conrod straight....I think that is more fitting for him!!!!

No matter what he was quite simply a legend!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:42 PM   #96
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Time will heal all the hurt everyone is feeling at the moment, & time will make the memorys fade a little. But he will never be forgotten, of that you can be sure.
Just let him go with pride & look back with happyness...

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #97
XR8putts

rename a part of the track, not the entire track.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 06:29 PM   #98
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Name the pit straight after him, not the race!
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #99
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone suggested a perpetual trophy named after him. Not for the winner, but the team that fought the hardest or made the bigget effort for the result.

You know smaller budget team which crashed on friday and still gota top ten finished.
But then I guess there really arent any small budget privateers in V8Sc any more...
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #100
TS50EB

My 2 cents worth,

1. I agree, leave pole position empty (or alternatively the front row)
2. Brocky already has "Skyline", rename it to something now more appropriate, like "Brocks Pass".
3. I like the idea of a trophy, but for the team that made up the most places from the start to the finish.
TS50EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 07:51 PM   #101
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

I have nothing against renaming it for him. But its up to bev really. I think she knows what he would want. If she think he would of wanted it then go for it.
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #102
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate
I have nothing against renaming it for him. But its up to bev really. I think she knows what he would want. If she think he would of wanted it then go for it.
What the hell? Mate they seperated months before all of this, and I dont really see them giving the decision to her.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #103
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Race.... no i don't really agree
however a piece of track like everyone has said would be more appropriate
Old 10-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #104
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how about letting him rest in peace im sure that someone close to him will know what he would have wanted
XWildGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:53 PM   #105
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I havent wanted to comment in this thread, but i voted when the 'no' vote was greatly outnumbered by the 'yes' vote. But now, with those who have avoided clicking on the thread because they didnt agree with it now actually sharing their opinion, it is a much closer, almost evenly divided result.

There are reasons for and against. But my comparison is, should the Summer Olympics be named the Thorpe Games when he one day dies because he performed so well for a portion of its history? No. There are many other heros and there will be more to come. It may be a very drastic correlation, but i believe it holds some weight in this discussion.

Although there should be something special done in his memory on the day of the Bathurst race aswell as a permament tribute, the whole event (i believe) should not be named after him.

The man was honoured in life and became a living legend. His legacy will not cease to exist following his passing, it will merely change form. The stories, the memories, the feelings, the visions of Brock are bigger than any tribute in material form will ever be.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #106
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Rename part of the track, but not the whole race. The race is bigger than one man.

Anyway, Supercheap Brock Bathurst 1000 doesn't really have a respectful tone to it.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #107
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Rename part of the track, but not the whole race. The race is bigger than one man.

Anyway, Supercheap Brock Bathurst 1000 doesn't really have a respectful tone to it.
I agree, maybe Mountain Straight.

I did think though, you could call the Shootout the Peter Perfect Ten!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #108
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The one thing Peter Brock was and that was the consummate professional.

1) The consummate professional race car driver.
2) The consummate professional business man.
3) The consummate professional to his sponsors.
4) The consummate professional to his many many fans.

The very fact that he was the consummate professional business man may mean that even he would not want to substitute sponsorship naming right dollars for the glory of his own name.

After all he is the "King" because of all of his great motor sport accomplishments (amongst many other achievements), but he also recognised the need to harness this near perfect record with corporate sponsorship dollars.

He alone has arguably done more and achieved more for motor sport in this Country than any other single individual, but he never lost sight of the power of the sponsor, nor should’ve he, after all he earned it.

I am sure that a permanent memorial on top of the mountain would be far more fitting and appropriate and would probably serve the man and his ideals far greater than turning away sponsorship dollars for a year.

Hell I would not be opposed to having his ashes scatted over the mountain or for him to be buried in a permanent tomb on the top of the mountain if it was deemed appropriate by his family and the "motor sport fraternity" at large. He owned the mountain after all.

If there was one place he would want to be once every year, I am sure it would be amongst the V8's, the razza matazz, his mates and the bands of loyal supporters, at Mount Panorama!

"Long live the King"
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #109
Phase II
High Performance

Default bathurst renamed

He is a legend but renaming the race after him is going a bit too far...... I think mayby a corner if they feel they have to but its fine the way it is, just put a nice memorial on the mountain for him.
Phase II is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #110
Gunns
Banned

Name a corner or a straight after him, but to name a race is going a bit to far. So when Allan Moffat dies are we going to call it the Brock & Moffat 1000? Let just have a good look at how we honor him and the legends to come there after.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #111
Bipolar
I'm back. Same car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6
I agree, maybe Mountain Straight.

I did think though, you could call the Shootout the Peter Perfect Ten!
That's a brilliant idea!

I agree with the above comment too. If Dick Johnson hadn't have had so much bad luck with rocks etc over his years at Bathurst (a bit like Skaife's season this year), maybe he would be thought of in the same way by all. Either way, hopefully Holden supporters give Dick the same respect when it's eventually his turn.

I'll be taking the day off work on the Friday so I don't miss a minute of Bathurst and the tribute to Brocky.
Bipolar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #112
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar
I agree with the above comment too. If Dick Johnson hadn't have had so much bad luck with rocks etc over his years at Bathurst (a bit like Skaife's season this year), maybe he would be thought of in the same way by all. Either way, hopefully Holden supporters give Dick the same respect when it's eventually his turn.
There's no doubt in my mind, they will.

If people can't contol their ego long enough, to put aside a stupid rivalry, in mourning of someone's death, then they are simply w***ers.

Last edited by Ryan; 11-09-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 03:59 PM   #113
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

FFS people.

BlackLS has posted a pic of Brock's Skyline, they've already renamed part of the track for him.

No, they should not rename the race after him. Super Cheap Auto would have the final say in that matter, and I'll say that it would be a huge no after the money they shelled out to be the main sponsors.

No, they also shouldn't leave pole position blank, because how absolutely unfair would it be to everyone else from the second row back to sit behind the guy who claimed "pole" position to have two car lengths head start.

A memorial would be sufficient enough to remember Brock for what he's accomplished.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #114
EAman
Ea 1990 with ef head

Well they just spent a lot of money on the pit lane why not name that after him
EAman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #115
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar
That's a brilliant idea!

I don’t know if I agree with the comparison, although I understand the sentiment. I also don’t think there will be too many knockers from the Red corner either.

Dick Johnson, Allan Moffat, Glenn Seaton, John Bowe and Marcus Ambrose have all been or are good for Ford in the same way that Larry Perkins, John Harvey, Mark Skaife and The Kelly boys have been or are good for Holden. They have all contributed to their respective teams, the car makers the sponsors and motor sport in a positive way in general.

Dick has always been one of the most accessible blokes out of the Ford Bunch, and all round nice guy as well but he does not have the charisma that Peter Brock had (note: I did not say ability).

When it comes to the next face of V8 Motor sport in this Country, Keep your eye on Craig Lowndes. After all his success for both camps will be hard to measure or compare when he retires. He already has a good public image and fresh good looks.

He is very marketable and he has the runs on the board from the track already. If he was still driving a Holden, they would have handed the "Holden" crown from PB over to him by now.

Note: Dick Johnson actually praises the rock that he hit (though not at the time) as it gave him unprecedented exposure. The rock transformed him from struggling privateer to motor sport motor mouth, and the fans loved it.

Who can remember him being miked up and describing Robbie Francevic's turbo Volvo as "a block of flats on wheels" live on tv, when he couldn’t get the leg speed up in his Mustang to pass it?

Back on topic, after thinking about it a bit more, maybe a "Bathurst wall of fame" could be started along pit straight with previous winners that have already passed on or retired qualifying only. Then there will be a place to honour all these heroes now and in the future.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #116
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoota
i dont think naming the race after brocky is a good idea to many reason for and against mayby they could orgainize a staute at the track of him with a plaque of his history this way it could be added to with other great drivers who have passed or even who are still with us as it could be like a drivers hall of fame do you know what i mean
This is a very sound suggestion which is along the lines of the EJ Whitten statue at the Whitten Oval, as well as some of the VFL/AFL legend statues at the MCG.

However, to ONLY have Brocky would be unfair.
Some of the top pioneers of Australian Motorsport should be realised too. Brock can be the first, and maybe "landmark" statue, but along the line other champion drivers should be recognised too. Or maybe the statues can be placed in the driver's come state.

Just a scratchy idea from me...
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 07:39 PM   #117
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A fitting tribute for Peter Brock will be held during next month's Bathurst 1000 - but the premier V8 Supercar endurance race will be not be renamed after the legendary driver:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Bat...826868766.html
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 11:28 PM   #118
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Yeah, maybe we were all a bit emotional last Friday when I started this thread. The support was originally good for the original proposal but as we kept discussing this, senses started coming back and better ways to show respect for Brocky were suggested.

As Skyline is already named after him, there needs to be something more than another bend or a straight. The missing car at pole with '05' painted on the ground there was a good idea, only that the car qualifying second (in 3rd position on the grid) gets a clear run to the first corner.

Perhaps this poll and thread influenced V8 Supercars Aust., but they are now deciding on what to do, and I'm sure they and the sponsors will come up with a fitting tribute to Brocky.

As we've discussed this subject enough and have come up with other suggestions, I suggest we now close it and leave it up to the race organisers.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post