Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
Disco1986

Question Sick or just twisted humor?

I’m talking about the “jokes” that seem to do the rounds after a often sad/ near miss event like

Beacons field
Van Nguyen
Princess Dianna
The thredbo land slide
Chapel Corby
And Steve Erwin, which is still very fresh and probly the saddest of all
And I’m sure many more.

Do you think it is just Aussie humor? Or is it more of an international thing? Its weird often the next day, a lot of people are trying to tell you a “joke” you have already been told a few times already! Maybe the bad comments are a way the mass public deals with bad events. Or just easy material for B grade comedians? Wot do u think? Have any of you heard such comments about the above events?

Old 05-09-2006, 11:06 PM   #2
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah heard a few today, most people including me dont really wanna hear them, but the guy who told me them wasnt meaning them in a rude, disrespectful way.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Rob
Living the dream

They always do the rounds... tidal waves in Aceh, Christopher Reeve, David Hookes.

I think its just black humour. Typically aussie. Gotta admit, I laugh at most of them, but I mean no disrespect.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #4
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I've seen a lot of photoshop humour. That doesn't bother me so much, as I think people need to release in there own way - but it can be hurtful to others.

The worst thing I ever saw was the September 11 trading cards. It was under a week after 9/11 and some gentle soul created pictures of trading cards on the net, from people who had jumped from the building. He'd have a picture of someone, what they did, they're hobbies and age and where they were from, then it would have a corresponding picture of someone who had jumped out of a building. That was in horrible taste..
Old 05-09-2006, 11:18 PM   #5
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

People die everyday, many of them great people. We dont hear about them, Nor have appeals in their name or special funds setup.

The media throws someone on your screen and tell you they are important, people empathize with that person and fool themselves into thinking they know them intimately through the magic of the glowing box in their living room, and when they Kark it or get crushed or sent to an indonesian jail, those same people all of a sudden think they have lost a family member.

It aint so.

Save your care for the real people around you, they are quickly and easily snatched away, and you better believe there wont be a media crew standing by for your televised mourning.

And as to people holding celebrities up as "idols" and "Heros" get a grip. Choose an idol that doesnt place their arms inside the mouths of things that can bite them off, nor those masters of pig skin who kick goals and score tries, nor any of the two dimensional frauds that dance around on that glowing box.

If someone makes a joke, live with it. Feel the need to cry? Ring Eddie McGuire and explain your feelings. I hear he is real receptive.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 05-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
Disco1986

i must admit ive heard jokes to all the above events and found them all funny
Old 05-09-2006, 11:28 PM   #7
gozza

Maybe its from a deeper beginning

Maybe these type of jokes originated from people understanding the Joke itself is hitting close to home enfocing the fact that no matter how haneous or terrible a circumstance may be....Life goes on and we need to see laugh at the bad things to make them less real

who knows

personally....well you don't want to know

edit 6 beers later :
Old 05-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #8
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I do not admire people merely because they are "famous" or classed as a celebrity. Quite a few of these people I have met are two faced. But others are the genuine article and just because they are famous does not make them bad people. Once in a while someone is famous because they are the genuine article, they captivate people with their passion, with their spirit, and they do deserve the recognition the media piles on them. There is nothing wrong with having heros and believing!

Death is a sad thing. I deal with it quite often in my line of work and humour is a way we deal with it. I think perhaps this is why the jokes come out.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
People die everyday, many of them great people. We dont hear about them, Nor have appeals in their name or special funds setup.

The media throws someone on your screen and tell you they are important, people empathize with that person and fool themselves into thinking they know them intimately through the magic of the glowing box in their living room, and when they Kark it or get crushed or sent to an indonesian jail, those same people all of a sudden think they have lost a family member.

It aint so.

Save your care for the real people around you, they are quickly and easily snatched away, and you better believe there wont be a media crew standing by for your televised mourning.

And as to people holding celebrities up as "idols" and "Heros" get a grip. Choose an idol that doesnt place their arms inside the mouths of things that can bite them off, nor those masters of pig skin who kick goals and score tries, nor any of the two dimensional frauds that dance around on that glowing box.

If someone makes a joke, live with it. Feel the need to cry? Ring Eddie McGuire and explain your feelings. I hear he is real receptive.
Here here, glad some one said it, Ive been biting my tounge abit lately.
There always seems to be alot of follow the leader in situations like that...
Old 05-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #10
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Well said Uncle Chop Chop!

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #11
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

It aint so.

I agree with what you said exepct for the last paragraph. How would you like it if your old man died and people where cracking jokes about him? Do you think Steve's Wife appreciates these jokes going around? There is a time and a place for jokes and mocking dead DECENT people is one of the lowest things possible. One thing I've noticed about people these days is a huge LACK OF RESPECT TOWARDS OTHERS.
520rwhp
Old 05-09-2006, 11:41 PM   #12
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eed-250
I agree with what you said exepct for the last paragraph. How would you like it if your old man died and people where cracking jokes about him? Do you think Steve's Wife appreciates these jokes going around? There is a time and a place for jokes and mocking dead DECENT people is one of the lowest things possible. One thing I've noticed about people these days is a huge LACK OF RESPECT TOWARDS OTHERS.
If my old man died, I'd be first in line cracking jokes about his complexion. And I know for a fact thats how he'd want it. Not whimpering and throwing myself on the coffin. And I'm not too worried about what Steves wife thinks, she doesnt know me, I dont know her. I respect people I actually know who earn it. Not people I pretend to know who may or may not actually be what they appear to be on TV. Unless you actually knew the bloke and shared a beer from time to time, you dont have a clue how decent he was or wasnt. Neither do I. But luckily. I dont care either.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 05-09-2006, 11:45 PM   #13
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
If my old man died, I'd be first in line cracking jokes about his complexion. And I know for a fact thats how he'd want it. Not whimpering and throwing myself on the coffin.
People deal with grief in many different ways. I respect that.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:50 PM   #14
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
There always seems to be alot of follow the leader in situations like that...

AKA.....I loved him more than you did, and I must tell everyone syndrome.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:51 PM   #15
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
If my old man died, I'd be first in line cracking jokes about his complexion. And I know for a fact thats how he'd want it. .
That's fine, its your family's call..

Don't think making jokes about someones elses family upon a passing is appropriate.
No way I would like someone cracking a joke about my brother who died a alcolholic at age 36.... 2 years back...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 05-09-2006, 11:54 PM   #16
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Quote:

It aint so.

If someone makes a joke, live with it. Feel the need to cry? Ring Eddie McGuire and explain your feelings. I hear he is real receptive..

Quote:
If my old man died, I'd be first in line cracking jokes about his complexion. And I know for a fact thats how he'd want it. Not whimpering and throwing myself on the coffin. And I'm not too worried about what Steves wife thinks, she doesnt know me, I dont know her. I respect people I actually know who earn it. Not people I pretend to know who may or may not actually be what they appear to be on TV. Unless you actually knew the bloke and shared a beer from time to time, you dont have a clue how decent he was or wasnt. Neither do I. But luckily. I dont care either.

Exactly my thought sour. I know why i look up to your posts as you tell it the way it is and i havnt found anything yet to disagree with you about. Tell the truth i met steve twice before he was big, he was a bit of a ***** to tell the truth.

Also when people make jokes about rescent events, sometimes its not just to make fun, it also helps them get over someones death. But like sour said if it was in my case and my old man past. Then if i just stopped life for a while and was all cut about his death he would kick my *** if he was alive. He would be someone that prefer that you got on with things. Lifes only what you make it remember, i prefer to have something give me a laugh then make you sad wouldnt you.

Jeff
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Old 05-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #17
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

The forum is truly showing humanity, how bloody ugly it can be. If you want to say sick jokes about someone else passing away, I believe you are immoral. And just because they are famous does not make it right. Love or hate Steve Irwin, he touched many people, and most seem to be saying good things about the bloke. How many here, when they pass away, will be remembered?
Old 06-09-2006, 12:01 AM   #18
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
That's fine, its your family's call..

Don't think making jokes about someones elses family upon a passing is appropriate.
No way I would like someone cracking a joke about my brother who died a alhocolic at age 36.... 2 years back...
Mark, mate its a hell of alot different when a person in the public eye dies.

I refuse to care about someone that has died because the media DEMANDS I care by shoving it on TV every 10 seconds.

When members of my family die, as they often do, I dont wander the streets trying to convince strangers to attend the event.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 06-09-2006, 12:03 AM   #19
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Still red, whats happen has happened. Is a joke between mates immoral for a laugh if its between you and your mates. I agree that telling jokes to anyone that has any strong feelings for the death of steve would be wrong. Yes steve did do a fair bit for this country, and nature and what not. People know this and i sure will remember it. But really i think of worst immorals 90% of this country do.

Worst thing i hate as a immoral anyone does is using a certain censored word starting with a S.
AFF Merchandise

Old 06-09-2006, 12:03 AM   #20
gozza

The media didn't demand me to feel sad for Steve
Im deadset against television and the media in general

The fact that this bloke who went hard at life got short changed while there are scum bags living full lives made me sad........I don't get sad
Old 06-09-2006, 12:04 AM   #21
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
The forum is truly showing humanity, how bloody ugly it can be.
What? You thought it was all bliss and cherries??

Quote:
If you want to say sick jokes about someone else passing away, I believe you are immoral.
Thats nice.

Quote:
And just because they are famous does not make it right.
It was wrong to start with?

Quote:
Love or hate Steve Irwin, he touched many people, and most seem to be saying good things about the bloke. How many here, when they pass away, will be remembered?
Thats nice

Old 06-09-2006, 12:05 AM   #22
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
The forum is truly showing humanity, how bloody ugly it can be. If you want to say sick jokes about someone else passing away, I believe you are immoral. And just because they are famous does not make it right. Love or hate Steve Irwin, he touched many people, and most seem to be saying good things about the bloke. How many here, when they pass away, will be remembered?
Immoral aye? You got my vote for pope.

I guarantee in 300 years noone will have heard his name. History is a bit longer than a series of the OC.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 06-09-2006, 12:05 AM   #23
gozza

also i felt pure discust to see Mel and Koche hosting the tribute...as if they care...bloody socialite rating suckers
Old 06-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #24
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Mark, mate its a hell of alot different when a person in the public eye dies.

I refuse to care about someone that has died because the media DEMANDS I care by shoving it on TV every 10 seconds.
everyone has a chioce we all have a off button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate
Tell the truth i met steve twice before he was big, he was a bit of a ***** to tell the truth.
Why wait until he passes to tell everyone, is there some sort of glory in hanging it on someone when there gone, not sure what is the point if someone was not a very nice person in life better we know before there gone I would have thought.
I will make clear this thread will not turn into bag fest for the dead.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 06-09-2006, 12:08 AM   #25
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Yes but he was doing what he loved and did. He always must of knew the possible outcomes, stuff like this happens. But gozza i sure near everyone can say that about a family member. For example my cousin who was a year older then me and basically a best mate, he drowned when he was 15 in the casino nsw river. Yes he was taken away. But fate is fate, when your time comes it comes.

Agreed with sour about the media, this happens with all public deaths of celebrities. Like for example princess di. How long did that get displayed for on tv. Bit hard to put the awful events behind us when there shoved in our faces and ears every minute of the hour.

Jeff

Spoolman, i didnt mean that to bag steve, i probably didnt finish what i needed to say. It was more of a reason why i had no lose why i not worried about his passing. I not here to bag the man out.
AFF Merchandise

Old 06-09-2006, 12:14 AM   #26
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
everyone has a chioce we all have a off button.
So I turn off the internet and these forums. The TV. The Radio. The newspapers. My work colleagues. I'm guessing my name will be in the news soon too once ive accomplished that.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 06-09-2006, 12:19 AM   #27
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate
Yes but he was doing what he loved and did. He always must of knew the possible outcomes, stuff like this happens. But gozza i sure near everyone can say that about a family member. For example my cousin who was a year older then me and basically a best mate, he drowned when he was 15 in the casino nsw river. Yes he was taken away. But fate is fate, when your time comes it comes.

Agreed with sour about the media, this happens with all public deaths of celebrities. Like for example princess di. How long did that get displayed for on tv. Bit hard to put the awful events behind us when there shoved in our faces and ears every minute of the hour.

Jeff

Spoolman, i didnt mean that to bag steve, i probably didnt finish what i needed to say. It was more of a reason why i had no lose why i not worried about his passing. I not here to bag the man out.
They are still putting Di in magazines

Well fortunately i don't have a family or close friend that has lost there lives in a circumspect and tragic manner....but regadless off how many times it happens you will feel sad....I don't understand the deep sentiment im feeling towards steve.....I looked in his eyes on a picture after his Death and it has done somthing to me i guess

Sourbastard...no one is like any one else.....You feel like youd have to get over a death in a no fuss econimcal manner... thats your function. has the media made you feel this way?

If my father died i wouldn't know how i would grieve...I can only imagine if wouldn't be quick and painless(as im grieving for my cat and he isn't even dead yet lol..)are you sure you wouldn't get all emotional and troubled for some time?

Just becuase the media is pumping the channels with Steve doesn't mean people have to feel sympathetic or even act like they knew him to some degree

Do Christians actually meet God? yet they sympathise with his death hundreds of years on

don't try to say im calling Steve Irwin a God or his actions constitue a religious following....just a point

anywayz its late
Old 06-09-2006, 12:26 AM   #28
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

too late for this ... nite all
Closed Thread