Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 28-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #31
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
ive never heard this happening, not even on carbies :P lol
... well i worded it a bit wrong but yer... everytime my bro tried to start it (when he had a zk 6cyl carbie.. he had to accelerate to start with no dramas) .. when he got in my old man's he did the same .. and it kept blowing the top of the air box cover off. :| - think we narrowed it down to backfire he he

also happend a few times just general driving
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #32
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Your not concerned about sucking in dust, dirt, sand, you know road grit?

Thats the purpose of a filter, not plastic thingies floating around.
considering he's talking about a matter of a short trip... not at all.
as for my car, nope, not concerned.
my bores are probably stuffed, who knows.
but i ran without an airfilter for along time, finally got around to putting one in, then my car backfired and destroyed the airbox, so now the airbox has big holes in it, still unfiltered air going on.

she'll be right.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2006, 03:36 PM   #33
NatashaED
Still Waiting!!

I've seen it a few times in my ED before it was mine, the way to stop the pressure building up anywhere else and blowing those pipes is to have the airfilter cover only attached by 2 or less metal hook things, then it will blow off when it backfires, and the pressure just comes right out there rather than forcing the metal to implode, heat makes it easier to break, and they get hot fairly quickly...
NatashaED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #34
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Default Just bought the air intake system

Hi,
I just bought the air intake system on ebay (see link posted before). neither I or my mechanics could find anything cheaper locally so I got the chamber taped so I can use the car until the part arrives
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 04:25 AM   #35
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
considering he's talking about a matter of a short trip... not at all.
No, I was referring to your situation. I wouldnt do it on a short trip either, but thats just me.

If i was desperate, id oil up a t-shirt and tie that around it if I had to. Didnt you ever watch 'bush mechanics' on the ABC?

Id use gaffa tape in his situation though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
as for my car, nope, not concerned.
my bores are probably stuffed, who knows.
but i ran without an airfilter for along time, finally got around to putting one in, then my car backfired and destroyed the airbox, so now the airbox has big holes in it, still unfiltered air going on.

she'll be right.
Nah, likely to let you down when you can least afford it to, 40ks from a servo, at 2am on a deserted road, in the rain with no mobile signal. Murphys Law and all.

Plus if its bores are stuffed, then youre losing power, the extra fuel over 6 months is more than the airbox value. At todays prices, its a whole car or just a couple days fuel. :
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 04:50 AM   #36
phat_stak_tipa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can get springs for the airbox rather than the solid clips......e.g goes bang lid lifts on springs no broken bits.......proper method from LPG tuner......done on 2 ef falcons and 2 mazda 323s all lpg cars will back fire from time to time even if tuned 100%....alot of ours used to happen on start up....sometimes can happen if giving a boot full too....
phat_stak_tipa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #37
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecrain
Hi,
I just bought the air intake system on ebay (see link posted before). neither I or my mechanics could find anything cheaper locally so I got the chamber taped so I can use the car until the part arrives
just remember, i think this bit is smaller on petrol one's,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cc_1[1].jpg (21.5 KB, 57 views)
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #38
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF302
just remember, i think this bit is smaller on petrol one's,
That's where the LPG connects, my trusted mechanic will figure it out, I'll have the leads changed and LPG tuned.
Old 29-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #39
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecrain
That's where the LPG connects, my trusted mechanic will figure it out, I'll have the leads changed and LPG tuned.
yeah, its not smaller as such, just there's a ring that sits inside for the lpg.
you shouldnt have a problem, just thought id point it out.
cheers
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #40
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Talking All done...

So the air intake system form EF I ordered on ebay ($75 +22 postage) arrived and I took it to my local mechanic to have the plemum chamber replaced and new leads put in and LPG tuned. I paid ~$120 and the car is back on LPG.
It appeared that the gas mixer is slightly bigger then the plenum chamber out pipe.... but it was overcome.
Hope I will not have more backfires e