Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default MP3 players - What is good?

Im in the market for a new Mp3 player. My Benq is crap and takes like 5 - 30 minutes to turn on once more than 20 songs are saved to it.

I want something that loads quickly and doesnt turn to crap after a bit of use.
Something that can play while being plugged into power as my Ben q doesnt. Im going to plug it into the AUX input in the car stereo so a ciggarette lighter charger would be handy.
It needs to keep albums in the correct order once loaded. My benq sorts the songs alphabetically as soon as you search by album. I have to create playlists just to keep the albums in order :(
Something that I can load regular PC files onto would be good so I can take work home easily.

Everyone has an ipod but a lot of people tell me they are crap. Whats the deal with ipods? Are they easy to use and load songs onto? Do songs need to be converted to a certain format before loading them to the player? How long does this take? Can they do everything I want or should I look for something else?

Are all ipods pretty much the same apart from the HD size, physical size and what screen they have?

I dont really want to spend more than $300-350 on one.

Old 17-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #2
mosman69
Lost Cause

mate it really depends on how many songs you have, i have just a generic 512 mp3 player bought form some random stall at chadstone, have had it for 3 years and never comlpained, my gf has an ipod an they r easy as to use, i thkn its better than mine but the jealousy factor could be playni with my mind, you put your songs on, then once their on u can search by, album, artist, song title etc. you can also create playlists on your pc so that when your on the go and have a particular group of songs you like listening to its easy to find them all (i have her ipod divided into two main playlists, his and hers)

as far as charging them goes, you can get a usb ciggarette lighter charger from strathfield an use your usb cable to charge your pod and then plug it into your aux input, this basically means you have unlimited battery life for all the songs you want to hear over and ver again. plus the usb charger doubles up for charging your palm pilot/phone/anything else which charges via usb cable.

i suggest you dont follow hype but you follow wot you want, like i said earlier i have a generic 512mb piece of 5hit but its my piece of 5hit and i take it everywhere and its still alive!!!!! maybe describe in a little mor detail how much nmusic you have and how particular you are with song order as my generic wont change the order or let you search at all but it only cost me $75...
mosman69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that mate. The ipod sounds alright and there are stacks of accessories for them too which will be handy.

Ill go have a look at lunchtime and check some out.

Does anyone else have any suggestions.
Old 17-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

Definately iPod.

It syncs with iTunes on Windows XP which makes it real easy to upload songs to it.

I have an iPod Photo 40gb. Holds about 10,000 songs. Pity I have 12,000 mp3's now, they don't all fit on!

It's great, car kit is cool, but if you have a BA, there's an input for the iPod into the genuine Sound System located behind the factory tissue box. If it's not there and just a bracket instead, you can buy the plug from Ford for like $10 and it plugs in over near the Fuse Box into an RCA plug.

Bit expensive though for the big ones, but well worth it.

Cheers,
Old 17-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #5
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Only issue for me is once a ipod is linked to a computer, it stays that way, so you cant drop more files on it from work unless u use a laptop and home and work (i sure there is a hack for it but im not aware of it yet...its more it gets attached to one itunes)

there are many other drag and drop solutions, creative zen, although i have bought a toshiba gigabeat? for a friend and its mad. Colour screen and stuff, its awesome. Windows based, its like having a 20g portable HDD

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That turns me off. I want to be able to load songs on from work and home. Ill check out the gigabeat if I can find one at lunchtime. Ive also got the creative ones to have a look at.

The ipod nano seems really good but I dont like how it pairs to one pc.
Old 17-05-2006, 12:36 PM   #7
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Ipod is great. My housemate just got a new alpine head unit with FULL ipod integration. i.e. plug the ipod in, then throw it in the glovebox. The head unit can now navigate all of the ipod's menus etc. Very cool.

I just use my phone, stores a lot of mp3s. Not sure but i think apple has its own format with ipod? I'd prefer something that could do WMV as that's what most of my album is stored as...

Iriver very popular as well - and can do photos videos etc.
Old 17-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as I know you can add songs to an iPod from any computer with itunes as long as they are both either PC or both Mac. But you cant transfer songs off of an iPod.

iPods play MP3's but they don't play WMA's so as long as your files are MP3's your fine.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
old_mate
Smash the Boost

When i plug my GF's ipod to my PC it tries to wipe it

We have had to buy a external HDD to swap songs onto her laptop if she wants any of my music onto her ipod. I dont know if there is a way to get around this, hence why i suggested something drag and drop with windows

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
Old 17-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
TotalDriver
Dedicated to Safety....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
As far as I know you can add songs to an iPod from any computer with itunes as long as they are both either PC or both Mac. But you cant transfer songs off of an iPod.

iPods play MP3's but they don't play WMA's so as long as your files are MP3's your fine.
True.

The thing is when you load WMA's through iTunes to an iPod, the programme converts them to mp3 for you anyway - automatically.

You CAN upload music from any PC source to an iPod, but you can't transfer songs from your iPod to another computer. This helps keep the iStore in business, and protects copywrite laws.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 17-05-2006, 12:50 PM   #11
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a creative 512mb, busted after a few months, wont play mp3s and batteries run out very quickly.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think if you have itunes set to automatically update the iPod it will wipe it... with that set to off it works fine.
Old 17-05-2006, 12:59 PM   #13
old_mate
Smash the Boost

but both pc's need to have itunes

and i need to select automatic update off. Then i can upload songs to Laurens Ipod from wherever I want? Sounds good.

I'd still never buy an ipod though...i just dont like them lol

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Old 17-05-2006, 01:05 PM   #14
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah im pretty sure thats how it works
Old 17-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #15
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A couple of months ago my daughter went through the "which mp3 player" routine.

She researched it thoroughly and decided that iRivers is better value than the iPod.

Probably fair to say that the iPod is the Holden of mp3 players whereas iRivers is the Ford ;)

Perhaps we could have a "Why is iPod still outselling iRivers?" type thread?
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #16
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Definatly take a look at the Irivers, better standard features from what I've researched in the past.
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #17
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

I have a AA battery powered iRiver 256Mb flash mp3 player. It plays mp3s, WMAs, ogg vorbis, etc. I scored a 1GB iPod Nano from work (gift for extreme overtime...) and whilst it stores more, I'm not sure I like it more! The iRiver sounded better, I got hours and hours of life from a single AA, whereas the iPod needs more regular recharging of a built-in lithium that will eventually die, meaning the iPod is useless, or me sending it to Apple for a fix. I'd much rather the 1Gb flash iRiver than this Nano... can't complain about a freebie though.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #18
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I used to have a gen 3 ipod 20gb, which was pretty nifty and i had no real problems with it. I now have an iPod Video 30gb which is also a nice little machine. Yes there is the problem where it has to be 'associated' with one mp3 collection only, but if you keep the collections exactly the same size with all the identical files on either computer i found mine didn't object ? Not sure if it's a software glitch but it seems to work fine on both. I think you can also set up the associations to allow it to work on different computers.

I have mine setup on a cradle in my BF, plugged into the premium sound via the aux booster kit. Works a treat, sounds great. The video functionality of it is ok, quite crisp, but a waste on me really, i've got a few video podcasts in there and a handful of music videos, but only use it for audio in the car anyway. Nice gimic for now, until they turn it into a serious multimedia machine. Good for boring days though i guess (at work ;p ).

I paid $15 for a car charger for it from Strathfield, genuine kits were around $80 where i looked! iTunes or any other aftermarket software will rip the files for you from cd and convert to relevant formats. iTunes converted a lot of my files into it's own apple format. It will tell you if there are any problems. The program isn't what you call user friendly, but it does the job.

I got mine for free with a new phone (only reason i got the phone!) but they are around $449 rrp.

iRivers are also great little machines, i got a small one a while ago for my mrs.. lasts a pretty long time on playback. As far as quality goes, i've found the iPod Video far better, but they have tweaked the amp and decoding quality on the new iPod, and you notice it.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 02:27 PM   #19
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I would personally recommend Creative Zen 20gb. We got them for a great price all things considered.

They are designed for Windows based machines, which effects most people, but there are 3rd party products so they work on Linux and Apple based computers. It will sync with Microsoft Media Player 10 (and comes bundled with is own brand of software) and you can transfer music to and from the device to any other computer.

This has a mono screen and doesn't play videos or pictures, but will record audio (with a microphone), play and record FM radio, play MP3 and WMA formats.

The main upside is that apart from the power switch, there are no moving buttons on Zens - its all touchpad. This means as far as wear a tear goes, these things last for ages. I've had it for about 6months and it looks almost the same as it did when I bought it (with some really light scratches). You don't get that awful scratched back like you would on Ipods and with the thick clear plastic that covers the front of the unit, it protects the screen quite well.

Sound Quality is the same if not slightly better than an Ipod, but that depends on many factors.

If you would prefer to look at videos as well, you can check out the Creative Vision:M, which is obviously a bit more expensive but a real contender to the Ipod Video based players.
Old 17-05-2006, 02:27 PM   #20
alesia
Banned

I used to deal with these everyday in my previous job, I have a Ipod .... i can honestly say DONT BUY ONE, the itunes program is confusing and just plain bad. you cant do any thing its made way to complicated. i have over 96gig worth of songs and the program expects me to import them all individually, you cannot drag and drop and if you try to import a folder then it only takes what it wants.

The Mp3 players i have found the best and easy to use (program as well ) was the IRIVERs and the Creative Zens(they have easy software and is not complicated)
alesia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 02:37 PM   #21
BlackLS

iRiver or Creative Zen
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Importing the whole folder was never a problem for me in iTunes, but you can also choose 'import file' then go to the directory you want to import, open it hit CTRL+A (select all) then open. Works fine. As i said iTunes isn't user friendly, but just download an aftermarket program, there are dozens of them!

As far as the batteries failing, they can be replaced by a technician, they will last a long time and if you follow basic maintenance they will last you for years before you need to get apple to replace it. Basically, only charge it (or sync it, as this charges too) when the battery is virtually flat, that way it won't develop a memory, as it would if you charge it when it's half empty.

A 'memory' basically means if you keep charging the thing when it's half flat, it will end up only lasting to that point, instead of 100%, you get %50.

I was looking at a Zen, the reviews were up and down, was thinking about the Zen vision but it was over $700
Old 17-05-2006, 02:43 PM   #23
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

The Vision:M is a new player and is quite different to the Vision.
Old 17-05-2006, 02:46 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
The Vision:M is a new player and is quite different to the Vision.
What's the price of it ?
Old 17-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #25
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

http://shopping.yahoo.com.au/b/a/prl...38/122701.html

Its got it listed for $440 to $505 down the bottom.
Old 17-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #26
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

dude i sell them , dont just go for Ipods Because they are the New hip Thing , i Sell More iRivers and Creative Zen Neeons than Ipods ,

Also the New Samsung Range is Awesome , Adapting the IPod Mini Style , Color Screen , all format, Picture Veiwer , Internal Li-Ion Battery and its 4 Gig for around $240 , I Have the 2gig Model and its awesome ,

Hope this Helps
Daniel

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 10:45 PM   #27
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

I've got a Sony 20gb, full charge does me for 25hrs (they claim 30hr for mp3 playback and 40hr for their own format playback), has good sound equalizer settings and is fairly easy to navigate. Downside is the proprietary software sony bundles it with which is utter crap. I'm probably going to upgrade to the new Toshiba gigabeat 60gb as its got better battery life and is better built than the iPod.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #28
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

I just bought an iRiver H120 new for $295... its pretty cool, 20G, aluminium case, built-in mic, fm radio, encoding, supports Ogg Vorbis.............. Just waiting on a decent set of headphones now, damn I hate earphones.