Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-06-2006, 02:15 AM   #31
Danny
GT4.

Very Sobering Stuff....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 09:19 AM   #32
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I agree. The start line accident had me yelling at the screen to get him out of there.

I think the worst was when the other driver was trying to turn the car over and all the officials were standing around like idiots.
I agree, that guy did everything he could and no-one else would help him.... you could see the heartache in his body language at the end....

Increadible stuff..... very moving!!!
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 09:01 PM   #33
bjr22n_
XR5TBO

very sad. very moving, i couldn't help, but to think why marshals were just standing there stuffing around...

i'll be back. gotta get a tissue : :(

DJR Team mate #14
bjr22n_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 12:29 AM   #34
punkin
having time of her life!

it was a great vid.

I was supposed to be at the race that Senna died at, but I'd only just got out of hospital and had my foot in plaster, the guys thought it would be a bit dangerous having me around pit lane. I'm glad I wasn't there, it was bad losing Roland the day before but to have been there to watch a totally amazing and nice man die would have destroyed me.

1963 Chev Impala | Black | 2 door : <- Angel
Mazda 2 | Turbo (custom) | Spicy Orange <- punkin
punkin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #35
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Dont think im a morbid pr1ck or anything but this is a link to ride with senna to the very end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pa04...na-f1-accident
xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #36
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

woah, that was moving, the music brought a lump to my throat

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #37
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyfmtjoe
Dont think im a morbid pr1ck or anything but this is a link to ride with senna to the very end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pa04...na-f1-accident
what was the official cause of the accident...................... he was just going through the corner and it seemed to snap to the right........... like it'd blown a tyre or something in the steering snapped....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #38
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could have been either.. i wonder if they ever did find out
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #39
bjr22n_
XR5TBO

my little brother, who is 15 yrs old, has been studying Aryton Senna's life and death since christmas, when i told him about the crash which took his life. he believes the steering column snapped in 2, at the wrong place at the wrong time. some people believed that Senna had a fit for a second, which took him off the racing line, which resulted with the infamous crash which took his life.

just after the race before Senna's passing, he quoted "this is a dangerous business in Motorsport, but you can't let fear stop you doing the things that you enjoy. Fear is what excites me."

"My biggest mistake is yet to happen" - Ayrton Senna. 1994

DJR Team mate #14
bjr22n_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #40
gbright
lovin every second of it

that was absolutly heartbreaking it was devestating watching his mate trying to turn over the burning car and then desperatly trying to get some help RIP all of tem they will not be forgotten!!!
gbright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #41
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
what was the official cause of the accident...................... he was just going through the corner and it seemed to snap to the right........... like it'd blown a tyre or something in the steering snapped....
IMHO I think This explains it!

And he wasnt the only one to do it at Tamburello Here is Nelson Piquet doing the same thing

Last edited by xyfmtjoe; 16-06-2006 at 04:28 PM.
xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 07:02 PM   #42
rodderz

In the in-car footage, you see Senna take the long left hand sweeper, if you watch his left hand tyre it stays virtually straight, yet the car starts to veer right, plus Senna's head goes to the left which shows there is some G forces from a sudden right hand turn. Then, the screen goes blank. There is some conjecture whether there was originally more of this footage that has been deleted

Maybe considering the left wheel stays on line that the right steering had some sort of collapse?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #43
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
There is some conjecture whether there was originally more of this footage that has been deleted?
Yes, and it was made public. My mate Glenn has the whole thing on VHS. Goes to fuzz when he hits the wall, BEFORE the wishbone strikes his helmet. After the footage you blokes all saw, Ayrton makes no movements/reaction. It all would have happened in a split second. I'm sure it would be on the net somewhere too.

I didn't realise now there was any questioning whether the steering wheel breaking caused the accident. I thought the whole saga was whether ith had re-broken where it had been previously welded to make it shorter for Senna.

If that court case had gone through, and manslaughter charges laid, it would have been the end of F1, and seriously affected all motor racing.

Here's the un-edited TV footage (not in-car) of the event

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/52822/...n_senna_crash/

Last edited by Wokkas; 16-06-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #44
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Talk about a reality check !!!!!
Thanks for that clip,I am so sorry for their famlies,just got me to think how lucky I am to be alive,must go and hug the kids and wife !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 11:29 PM   #45
rodderz

Another sad part of the crash was that Ayrton had an Austrian flag next to his seat to wave to the croud after he won the race in memory of Ratzenberger of Austria, who had died the day before at the same track during qualifying
Old 16-06-2006, 11:46 PM   #46
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
I didn't realise now there was any questioning whether the steering wheel breaking caused the accident. I thought the whole saga was whether ith had re-broken where it had been previously welded to make it shorter for Senna.

It's a wake up call that video...but by the sword you can die by it.
We all know the risk involved when we choose to race, and these guys new the risk...

There was some speculation around the steering rod breakage...but the real story from a detailed investigation was.......loss of aero dynamics...these F1's rely heavily on downforce and a loss at any part will result in a severe accident.....

The crash that caused the death of senna was his car was set too low by the team engineers looking for a 10% gain in undercarriage downforce. By 2mm. When he came round that fatal turn at Imola the car basically bottomed out, and had lost the undercarriage downforce that the car required at high speed sent from the front wing, thus rendering the rear difusers useless and the vehicle subceptiable to unstable precict at a loss of an estimated 800 kg's of downforce pressure resulting in severe understeer at high speed or loss of turn control. Following the deaths of Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna at Imola in 1994, the FIA, the governing body of motorsport, produced some rapidly imposed rule changes, which had the effect of cutting back down force quite significantly. Some rule changes were immediate, and removed a small percentage of downforce. The new rule brought in for 1995, was a large increase in the minimum permitted ground clearance over a large proportion of the underbody, creating a 'stepped floor'. This produced a substantial reduction in downforce levels (as much as 40 per cent), and also lessened the car's sensitivity, which made them more predictable, and hence safer to drive.

Cheers
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #47
gbright
lovin every second of it

yeah above all true but it was the trype of areo package that was the problem Ground effect's it was called huge amount's of force {so much so that theorcticley at around 100 kays the car created enough downforce to drive upsidedown} but as soon as it start's sliding or "bottoming out" and loses the vaccum they went from 100% downforce to 0% 94 was the last year "Ground Effect's" was used understandrbly
Old 28-08-2006, 11:48 PM   #48
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Sorry to bring this old thread back up, but.. 2 questions.

1) How can I save that video so I can put it on disc?

2) Who is the female artist that sings that first song? I know the second one is Amy lee.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 12:07 AM   #49
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
Off the top of my head;

Tyres were cold after a few laps under safety car, car was lower to the ground due to lower tyre pressures. Bottomed out coming into the corner, lost downforce as a result, Senna felt the slide, turned right to correct, tyres gripped up again, steering was pointed right, straight off the track and we know the rest.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 12:35 AM   #50
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012
2) Who is the female artist that sings that first song? I know the second one is Amy lee.
1st song is called "Our Farewell" by Last Temptation, a dutch band

2nd song is Amy lee from Evanesance
Old 29-08-2006, 12:45 AM   #51
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

If anyone is interested, the link below is from my Bookmarks I've had for a few years now. It is very detailed in the events of the 1994 San Marino GP. Very interesting reading. There are quite a few good links towards the bottom of the page. Warning.. will take some time to go through all of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_San_Marino_Grand_Prix

Ayton Senna, and F1 fans from the 80's and early 90's, will always remember this weekend with dark memories. Rubens Barrichello had a very close call on the Friday, crashed at 140MPH, rolled few times and knocked unconscious and was in hospital. Roland Ratzenberger, in his F1 debut season and only 3rd race, crashes on the Saturday doing 190MPH. Dies in Hospital. And then on Sunday race day, massive crash at the start, spectators injured by debris, then Senna crashes at the restart at 130MPH into the wall, pronounced dead soon after.

It's been 12 years since the last death in a F1 race.. Senna in 1994. And prior to Senna's death, the last death in a F1 race was also 12 years before.. Paletti in 1982. Let's hope we can get to the 2007 season without a loss of another driver and break the record.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 29-08-2006, 12:46 AM   #52
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
1st song is called "Our Farewell" by Last Temptation, a dutch band

2nd song is Amy lee from Evanesance
Thanks rodderz.

Now I need the answer to question 1). Anyone?

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 29-08-2006, 05:27 PM   #53
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I'm asuming a video capture program like Fraps might be able to capture it but unsure how to crop down to just the video. I'd love the clip as a file also.

Timmeh
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #54
xr8ute
Back on the road

I've never had any luck trying to capture streaming video, but I do have a copy of that video on my PC.

I can upload a torrent somewhere if you guys would like to download from that..?

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 01:11 AM   #55
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
I've never had any luck trying to capture streaming video, but I do have a copy of that video on my PC.

I can upload a torrent somewhere if you guys would like to download from that..?
Yes please!! Pretty please??

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
Old 30-08-2006, 05:59 AM   #56
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

upload away xr8ute
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 08:16 AM   #57
xr8ute
Back on the road

Cool, I'll do it tonight when I get back from work. Will send you both the details.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #58
StookEB

Very disterbing indead, Farewell my Heroes.
StookEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post