Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-06-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Question Odometer/DTE LCD backlight ???

Hey all ... again. ..lol , 1 more small question please if anyone knows . I have blown 1 of the globes behind the odometer/dte lcd display in the dash cluster. I know they are a 1.2 watt clear bulb , but can anyone confirm if they are a 12v globe, or if the cluster runs them on a lower voltage ? , mainlly wanting to know as im looking at changing them to small 3mm white led's. I would check myself but i cant get my multimeter prongs behind the cluster while its plugged in and tuned on , the 3 plug/wires to my cluster are very short / can barelly get my hand behind there to disconnect them ! , little lone get the prongs behind there on the contacts to test the voltage . Any help appreciated , cheers . ?????

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

So put 12V to the globe and find out....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
So put 12V to the globe and find out....
yeah i was thinking of doing that with the other working bulb , got nothing to loose as i'm gonna replace them both soon anyway. Either that or ill remove the bulb from the holder on the blown 1 , then connect some long lengths of wires to the globe base and plug it in , then i can get the multimeter onto the wires i added to test the voltage and polarity .

Old 12-06-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I just replace mine. I replace both as you will find the sceond one will blow soon. They are at $5 from Ford & the dealer told me it was common for the blubs to blow. The whole thing end up costing me $60 to are breaking a few thing trying to remove the dash.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
I just replace mine. I replace both as you will find the sceond one will blow soon. They are at $5 from Ford & the dealer told me it was common for the blubs to blow. The whole thing end up costing me $60 to are breaking a few thing trying to remove the dash.
Ouch , $60 all up just for changing some bulbs ? . did you do the light behind the clock too or something ? , i found the cluster comes out easy ( takes 2 mins ) , i have got the globes out of the lcd display and looking at them now , they look easilly modifyable to put a 3mm bright white led ( or any colour really ) into the existing green plastic base , once i remove the bulbs off the green plastic bases that is .

Old 12-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

No i have 5 thumbs on each hand & i tend to break everything i touch!
Old 12-06-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
No i have 5 thumbs on each hand & i tend to break everything i touch!

You poor bugger ..lol ;) , I haven't heard that saying before , i like it though ... hahaha .

One of my good mates has huges hands and his fingers are like tree stumps , he can't do any fine fiddly work , he can't even pick up things like pins or small objects cos his fingertips are to big and fat/hard ....lol

Old 10-08-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
HoT-AU
06 SS Thunder Ute

I have the same problem. My LCD on my AU1 ghia, the half telling me the KS has gone. In someways i like that lol. So it was a 12V blub? Did u do it yourself? And u can pick them up from ford?