Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fishing in the murray river?? advice plz

hey all, just moved here and always been saltwater fishing so i've not been fresh water fishing before, and was wondering a few things like:

- where is good to go fishing around mildura? (obviously in the river)
- what bait to use? they sell earth worms here, are they any good?
- does it matter what time of year? eg winter/summer
- time of day?

basically, any advice would be good! thanks in advance

xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
max
LWBforME

This is an interesting point.... I am visiting Mildura next week for a few days R&R, and was thinking of taking the compact rod & tackle with me. I have heard there is a yabbie farm around there, not sure where, but i guess with that one you don't fish them, you buy 'em by the kilo if they're in season. If all else fails I might just have to avail myself of the good local tucker and wines.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gday mate.

well, you'll be bored ****eless fishing in mildura, not much in the water.

easy spots to get to/fish at are,

Opposite apex park on nsw side of river, take 3rd left after buronga roundabout, turn off to river mid way before huge hill.
Under weir on buronga side, first left over bridge to get to caravan park and just drive through.
Merbein pumps.
Psyche pumps.

My favourite spot is actually on the lock 11 island, park the car, walk across the bridge to island and hard left, small sand bar with deep water.

Best time? Any time.... mainly on dusk though.

Normally worms are used, you'll pay a crap load for a small tub, best to "grow" your own by buying a tub, and throwing them in a sweat box, little bit of veg scrap for food.

Alternatively, use a dip tin with soap and gum leaves, should catch you a few shrimp, tie in the soap, attach rope and plonk in the water.

You'll normally catch carp, but the odd perch is still caught, haven't seen a redfin or catfish in ages.
Murray Cod are caught towards Robinvale/Boundary bend, but this is a bit harder, usually using bardie grubs or small yabbies as bait, and normally caught out of boats.

As for the yabbie farm, bit boring, if you've got kids its ok, they let the kids catch them with string and meat, but apart from that, yaaaaawn. Its over the river between Buronga and Gol Gol, only 5 mins drive.

Good luck.

MAKE SURE YOU BUY A LICENSE AS THE FISHERIES AND GAME GUYS WILL FINE YOU!

Mick.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey thanks mick, will do, i bought a license the other day so i'll see how it goes. I went down to the psyche pumps the other day but nothing, not even a nibble. Im a bit bored so far, i need to get a car to work on! preferably a GT!

thanks
Old 06-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seriously try out lock 11 on dusk right at the point, at the mouth of the boat entrance facing the old mildura homestead.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
falcon91

I take my daughter down to the Murray a couple of times a year. We use 'Corn' kernels! They only catch carp (Biggest 9lb), have tried fishing for Redfin, yellowbelly and the like using worms - No luck! We ALWAYS catch carp using corn, she loves fishing for carp! Not allowed to throw them back!
falcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by conordec
seriously try out lock 11 on dusk right at the point, at the mouth of the boat entrance facing the old mildura homestead.
will do will do, thanks mate. I take it that you've lived in mildew before? its a bit colder than i would like! i need to get a Ford to work on or a MX bike me thinks
Old 07-07-2006, 10:12 AM   #8
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks heaps for the info guys
Old 07-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #9
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by conordec
gday mate.

MAKE SURE YOU BUY A LICENSE AS THE FISHERIES AND GAME GUYS WILL FINE YOU!

Mick.
Serious??? You need a licence to stand around for hours dangling a line getting nothing?
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
Falcon_Power_06

i know nothing about freshwater fishin but goto www.fishnet.com and look on there the info and and the forums are realy good.
Falcon_Power_06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #11
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Serious??? You need a licence to stand around for hours dangling a line getting nothing?

yep, not that expensive, but pretty crappy considering you rarely catch much.

xe, yep, was born and raised there, left for big smoke when i was 18, when younger, heaps of fish around, but the carp killed it.

water quality aswell is pretty lame compared to 15yrs ago, but guess thats everywhere.

let us know how u go.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:05 PM   #12
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Carp as great for catching ....... & the corn kernels is the best .......

Whilst its not in the Murray .... My 12yr old goes with his mates all weekends just to catch Carp ......... they fight well & not throwing them back is a bonus (more fun for the educated) .... also it is slowly hopfully eradicating them
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #13
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
Carp as great for catching ....... & the corn kernels is the best .......
Whilst its not in the Murray .... My 12yr old goes with his mates all weekends just to catch Carp ......... they fight well & not throwing them back is a bonus (more fun for the educated) .... also it is slowly hopfully eradicating them
Also with the carp, if on a fishing trip with the mate's, make sure your totally drunk before cooking them over the camp fire and eating them, they taste like baramundi if you have enough beers.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post