Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Cost of Eastlink

A mate just lost a good employee to a company that is doing barrier work on the new east link project in eastern Melbourne, his base rate on site to errect these barriers is $72K per year... with at least 10hrs over time a week on top.
So his potential annual income is $100421 PA. no wonder they need tolls on the road.
Who ever said wages for unskilled labour are too low is kidding themselves...

Old 03-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep, i was offered a position on the same project actually, they are head hunting in my industry big time, offering some very attractive packages...im still thinking about it, but i want to buy a house soon and that project wont be going forever so i think ill be staying where i am for job security
Old 03-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

We need the road, who cares if we pay for it in order to get it? The old roads will still be there if you want to travel for free.

Now, I realise this won't be the popular view, and I only hold it because I would use Eastlink half a dozen times a year once its built, so fer me, doesn't matter if its tolled.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
A mate just lost a good employee to a company that is doing barrier work on the new east link project in eastern Melbourne, his base rate on site to errect these barriers is $72K per year... with at least 10hrs over time a week on top.
So his potential annual income is $100421 PA. no wonder they need tolls on the road.
Who ever said wages for unskilled labour are too low is kidding themselves...
Just goes to show that the opportunities are out there, at least in most states.

Just like the work going on up in the mines these days. Good for young, single blokes!

Pity that mechanics arent paid a little better. 4 years of apprenticeship, including 3 years of TAFE (Cert III) and in the real world they have to know a lot and cop a lot and the working conditions are ****. And a fully qualified mechanic gets paid poo!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Just goes to show that the opportunities are out there, at least in most states.

Just like the work going on up in the mines these days. Good for young, single blokes!

Pity that mechanics arent paid a little better. 4 years of apprenticeship, including 3 years of TAFE (Cert III) and in the real world they have to know a lot and cop a lot and the working conditions are ****. And a fully qualified mechanic gets paid poo!
Yes exactly, to be honest i feel the pay rates are all over the place compared to the skill required and task of the role...
A friend just finished 4 years doing a degree in Prosthetics and is now facing entering the workforce @ 35K per year.. Financially he would be better off driving a forklift on a building site than going to uni based on some of the lop sided wages that exist.
Hopefully things might become a bit more competitve now and some re-adjustment takes place.

P.S i have no problem paying a toll, i just find it difficult to accept the cost of building the road if this is an example of the pay rates..

Old 03-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Come on,we should be happy when people make more money.
Good luck to them,peoples incomes rising can only make everyones standard of living better.
Lets hope the trend continues.
BTW I did 6 years at tafe,plus ongoing training since, I run projects for my employer and am not on that much money.
I still say good on em.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2006, 06:38 AM   #7
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yes exactly, to be honest i feel the pay rates are all over the place compared to the skill required and task of the role...
A friend just finished 4 years doing a degree in Prosthetics and is now facing entering the workforce @ 35K per year.. Financially he would be better off driving a forklift on a building site than going to uni based on some of the lop sided wages that exist.
haha i drive a forlift in a factory and i wouldn't go there for $35k p/a
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

They are on very good money on that job.
I have been working night shift doing asphalt diversions on Ferntree Gully Rd, Maroondah Hwy, Canterbury Rd etc.....and all the contractors/sub contractors MUST be paid all the site alowances.
I had an offer to put a semi carting asphalt for 18 months out of our portable asphalt plant off High Street Rd, but trying to get back the money on the set up back in 18 months and pay a driver all the penalty rates meant thetre was nothing left in the bank after i pay for the truck and wages.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:27 PM   #9
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

I'm on about 60k for forklift driving but i's not the only job i do at work. I do have a problem with paying toll isn't the money we pay for our over priced fuel and car registration go to help making these roads along with what the government kick in.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2006, 04:58 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
I'm on about 60k for forklift driving but i's not the only job i do at work. I do have a problem with paying toll isn't the money we pay for our over priced fuel and car registration go to help making these roads along with what the government kick in.
Thats very good money.
The toll is to pay off the cost of building the freeway, if these rates of pay for contractors are any indication it doesnt surprise me one bit that they need a toll to pay it off.

Old 05-07-2006, 05:03 AM   #11
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
damn i'm on like 45-50k with overtime, it's not the only job i do either, i'm just getting ripped off :
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 06:02 AM   #12
ziggee

how many people do a degree, and then not work in the field of study based on salary, many many friends, who did science, IT, etc etc now do labour work as its twice three times the income.. (generalising a bit here DONT QUOTE ME! yes I am yelling)

any chance of getting a job doing that, anyone know anyone hiring, have left my career profession due to stress (to many 1d10t errors/upper managment included and not enough pay = stress!) although for the right company I'd get back into it..
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 01:55 PM   #13
XRchic
Hello

Im NOT complaining, just pointing out an interesting fact. I graduated in 2001 with a law degree just completed (and previously a nursing degree and psych degree with Hons) and I ended up in a job earning $31K a year... in Adelaide mind you, which is not kind to law grads.

Having said that, the pay sacrifice paid for itself because that doubled in under two years and continues to climb...

It is just interesting to note that very well qualified people can begin jobs earning rubbish... it just takes time I think.

Good on people who can find unkilled, well paid jobs! Well done, I say.

My partner, who is a qualified mechanic at a Ford dealer, can earn HEAPS more working at a supermarket, doing some shift and weekend work, and working 3 days a week (with long shifts) and still get two days home! I find it insulting how undervalued mechanics are - Ive learned a lot about how hard a mechanic's life is, and how much they really do know, since Ive lived with one!

He wants to get out and do something else. I will support him all the way, that trade sucks.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
ziggee

had you picked for a legal type person.... because of the way you write, Mate is international Law worked in Geneva, has spoken to presidents, comments on anything law related in aust (abc, radio), and has to compete based on "words" and the correct meaning/usage of. yeah he is a genius. and had the same issues with people (more recently students) that use sms style text to ask a question in an e-mail. he just send s it back. You have to take what people write in context to where they write it. sms is cheap desposable trash, forums agreed should be slighly more effort put in, resumes (cv's, well just plain and simple PERFECT!)

Then again we had a massive debate about "the Internet" 10+ years ago, he could not see the point of it...

You did psychology!! did that too, until I found out the lecturers were just plain and utter nutters themselves!!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post