Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Pregnant and seatbelts... laws?

I heard that if you are pregnant, you do not have to wear a seatbelt? As my gf is in the last few months of her pregnancy, and getting bigger, she is finding it difficult to wear a belt over her; and under heavy braking, may endanger the unborn baby's life...

So is this true, would a cop let you off with it, or does the law still apply?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has she tried to put a pillow over her Stomach and then the belt around her. I don't know if this is legal. But it will stop the belt from hurting her.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

The law applies.. period.
Also, a seatbelt worn correctly, although uncomfortable, is not going to endanger your babies life in an accident and will probably do a lot more good than harm in a circumstance where it is needed.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #4
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm 99% sure all states require the use of seatbelts when pregnant.

Taken from the QLD Transport site:

Pregnancy
Your child needs protection even before birth. It is important that pregnant women wear seat belts correctly. A properly worn seat belt puts little pressure on the stomach or the unborn child.

Pregnant women must wear the seat belt with the lap part sitting over the thighs, across the pelvis and below the unborn child. The sash part should be above the stomach and between the breasts.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who cares about what the law says.... think of your gf's safety, as in flying through the windscreen if you have an accident.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #6
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got my wife some of those padded belt covers (logo free!) and they made a huge difference in increasing the comfort levels whilst heavily pregnant.
Old 15-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #7
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67
I got my wife some of those padded belt covers (logo free!) and they made a huge difference in increasing the comfort levels whilst heavily pregnant.
Yeah, I've done this too. She says it's much better.
After some research, it appears (and obviously), it would be stupid to not wear a belt...

So would it seem that this information (not having to wear a belt), is incorrect?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Also, a seatbelt worn correctly, although uncomfortable, is not going to endanger your babies life in an accident and will probably do a lot more good than harm in a circumstance where it is needed.
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Who cares about what the law says.... think of your gf's safety, as in flying through the windscreen if you have an accident.
I'd rather safe mother and baby than both flying through windscreen!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 09:36 PM   #9
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

A pillow between your gf's stomach and the belt will work, as stated.
Thats also the recommendation after open heart surgery as well.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 11:20 PM   #10
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

My wifes 33 weeks pregnant at the moment and if thats the worst part of your wifes day then she should put the belt on and stop the whining!!!! :
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #11
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
My wifes 33 weeks pregnant at the moment and if thats the worst part of your wifes day then she should put the belt on and stop the whining!!!! :
gotta agree there. our neighbours actually got T boned on way to hospital while she was in labour, luckily she had her belt on and the damage was minimal because of it, would hate to see the result of that belly hitting the dashboard, not nice at all

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 11:40 PM   #12
XRchic
Hello

I have had 3 kids. My second one was 10 pounds. I drove with all of them right up to the day I had them. I didnt have a problem with the seat belt, that I recall (the most recent being my 3rd child born 9 weeks ag). It is not particularly uncomfortable, even with a very big belly, however there is no way a pillow would have fitted between belly and belt! If someone is uncomfortable, those little cover things mentioned above might be an idea.

There were way worse things in life when 40 weeks pregnant with seatbelts. I actually had trouble getting in and out of the car (BA XR6), getting in and out of anything really!

Good luck with all the impending births around the place!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 12:11 AM   #13
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When my wife was Pregnant, I was hesitant to let her drive, as I was unsure of the impact an Airbag would have on our unborn child... We used to drive into Brisbane peak hour traffic every single day. Loads of fools on the road...
After much deliberation, the obstetrician decided it was ok... he said he wasnt sure, but he suggest an airbag in combination with a seatbelt was definitely the safest way to travel.
(Then i told him it was a Toyota, and he immediately recommended selling it to buy a Ford! lol) Sorry had to do it......
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #14
ShallowCrossing
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
If your gf is finding it is causing her substantial discomfort, her doctor can issue a medical certificate exempting her from the requirement. (This applies in Victoria at least).
ShallowCrossing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #15
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShallowCrossing
If your gf is finding it is causing her substantial discomfort, her doctor can issue a medical certificate exempting her from the requirement. (This applies in Victoria at least).
if it is giving too much discomfort then she should'nt be riding in a car, what would you rather a bit of discomfort, or the huge risk of death from not wearing a seatbelt?
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #16
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is your wife driving the car? Pregnant women especially late in the term women shouldn't be driving. What if they go into labour while driving? They can cause an accident.

On a lighter note. If needed? Your doctor can write you a letter stating you can't wear a seat belt due to a medical condition. I don't know if a doctor with write one for a pregnant woman though?

Tuned by Hallam Performance

Last edited by brenx; 16-06-2006 at 01:33 PM.
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #17
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah don't baby the Mrs too much. It will only intensify after the baby is born. :

Just kidding. Just kidding :hihi:
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post