Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-05-2006, 02:22 AM   #31
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[QUOTE=DOC]And would that be the time when aust steps away from the mother land / royalty ?

it would seem the most suitable time but I get the feeling that the flag and current anthem will be with us until sometime after we discover that we can get along on our own.

It's a very emotive issue for a lot of people. My Irish ancestry leaves me with no great love of England or things English, but there is no denying that the current Queen is a credit to the institution.
Perhaps when Charles comes to the throne would be the time to look at the republic/flag/nat anthem question (although you've got to figure that Liz is in no hurry to have Charlie screwing things up, lol.

edit: am I colour blind or is there no blue oval on that flag?
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:43 AM   #32
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
And would that be the time when aust steps away from the mother land / royalty ?

anyway a flag idea only ?

The first thing that has to go from our flag is the union jack.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:47 AM   #33
LTDHO
The one and only

Do they still teach and sing it at school?
It was at my primary school. I hope it still is!

Every child has to know the whole song word for word!

I used to love going to the National at Calder Park and they would play the anthem, and just as everyone finishes, they fire the Top fuelers. Totally awesome, sent a pulse right through you.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #34
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
That's because half the population made a pis poor effort at learning the words. Tbere is nothing wrong with the anthem.

FF

that is nearly exactly right. maybe the education departments should include it in their carriculum (sp). but then again it may offend some minority group and get banned anyway :

i guess some of the words are a little bit odd but that is how it is, because it is an old song.
"girt by sea" is obvious. "wealth for toil" would mean working for a living, which some people may have trouble with.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #35
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
And would that be the time when aust steps away from the mother land / royalty ?

anyway a flag idea only ?

that offends me greatly, my friend. 1 week after ANZAC day. we have many shallow people live in this country.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:17 AM   #36
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
that offends me greatly, my friend. 1 week after ANZAC day. we have many shallow people live in this country.
...that's a shame. I'm sure there was no offense meant.

How long after ANZAC day would you consider an appropriate interval?
Old 02-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #37
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
That's because half the population made a pis poor effort at learning the words. Tbere is nothing wrong with the anthem.

FF
Bingo.

In WA schools you sing both verses every morning.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #38
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff
I think by far the best aussie anthem should be"I Still Call Australia Home"..if Qantas would allow it. It is a great song,everybody knows the words,it's patriotic,it should be voted on and win hands down!!!
It's actually an old song written by Peter Allen. Qantas use it under licence and changed some of the lyrics to suit there destinations. It's a great song regardless.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #39
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Who'll Come A Waltzing Matilda With Me?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 01:22 PM   #40
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Who'll Come A Waltzing Matilda With Me?
I'm sure we'd look great having our national anthem about a thief who topps himself to avoid the po-leeece

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #41
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

The Anthem was drummed into me at an early age! We were singing it word for word in Yr 1!
Old 02-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #42
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

australians all let us rejoice,
for we are young and free,
with golden soil and wealth for toil,
our home is GIRT by sea,

our land abounds in natures gifts,
of beauty rich and rare,
in history's page,
let every stage
advance australia fair

in joyful strains then let us sing
advance australia fair

and for the extra verse:

Beneath our radiant souther cross,
We'll toil with hearts and hands,
To make this commonwealth of ours,
renouned of all the lands,
For those who've come across the sea,
we've boundless plains to share,
with courage let us all combine,
to advance australia fair,
in joyful strains then let us sing,
advance australia fair.

not too many know this other verse above, its not song very often. Maybe its been cut out coz all the bloody boat people taking advantage of our boundless plains to share hahaha
but learn the main bit guys, im shocked people dont know the anthem.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:03 PM   #43
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Re the flag posted above.

While I'm no fan of the current top LH quadrant replacing the symbol of one minority group with another is NOT a step forward. Something that every Australian can call there own and have a connection with is what's needed!
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #44
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Well i know its not really the popular opinion these days but im proud of the union jack, the southern cross and the 6 pointed star. An outstanding representation of who we are and where we have come from IMO.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:17 PM   #45
gozza

the aussie flag used to be made out of hemp

so did heaps of things untill the CIA teamed up with the nylon conglomerates and banned it all purely for profits

you wonder why hemp is illegal.....there ya go.......off topic but i read flag somewhere lol and it made me remember
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:21 PM   #46
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
the aussie flag used to be made out of hemp

so did heaps of things untill the CIA teamed up with the nylon conglomerates and banned it all purely for profits

you wonder why hemp is illegal.....there ya go.......off topic but i read flag somewhere lol and it made me remember
Dupont was the company in question in that particualr theory.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #47
gozza

yep dupont...thanks mate...i couldn't think of it at the time
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #48
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
??? Mate it was suggested as an idea only, now i learnt not to judge real quick and to throw a shallow label up on me, well lets say you called it way wrong.

All it was meant to be was a way of joining our past with our future, but then again as above an idea, if we restrain people from at least presenting thier idea's without feeling like they will be scolded by people who fail to gain the full story then people like myself will simply sit quietly and let those who think they know everything continue on as if they do.

Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #49
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
??? Mate it was suggested as an idea only, now i learnt not to judge real quick and to throw a shallow label up on me, well lets say you called it way wrong.

All it was meant to be was a way of joining our past with our future, but then again as above an idea, if we restrain people from at least presenting thier idea's without feeling like they will be scolded by people who fail to gain the full story then people like myself will simply sit quietly and let those who think they know everything continue on as if they do.

Pete

yeah no worries Pete. i get a bit emotional on these issues and should refrain from responding as well.................but, well, it's big to me when so may heros seem to have given their lives for the generation that dosn't seem to give a . i won't visit this thread again.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #50
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Well i know its not really the popular opinion these days but im proud of the union jack, the southern cross and the 6 pointed star.
I think you may underestimate the strength of feeling for the flag to remain as is.

I'd bet my boots that if a referendum was held today on simply whether to keep it as is or change it most would say to keep it.

Personally I'd like the flag and the nat anthem to change to more reflect who we are, but equally I understand that the time is not right for such a move.

Hopefully it will occur in my lifetime (I reckon I've got around 30 years left on the planet) but I sure wouldn't bet on it.

edit: I also like the 6 pointed star and the southern cross. The Jack I can do without and I figure that its not too difficult a task to have a flag in our national colours.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:13 PM   #51
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We would have to add an extra day to the Olympic Games and two to the Commonwealth Games if we sung the second verse of AAF.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #52
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
Beneath our radiant souther cross,
We'll toil with hearts and hands,
To make this commonwealth of ours,
renouned of all the lands,
For those who've come across the sea,
we've boundless plains to share,
with courage let us all combine,
to advance australia fair,
in joyful strains then let us sing,
advance australia fair.
we used to sing the anthem every day in primary school, then every second day then once a week, i never heard this verse before, and at high school we never sang it... not because we were disrespectful but we werent allowed to talk during the assembly. i am proud of the anthem and this country, but i do believe it is gettin a bit dated and hard to understand.. just IMO

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 05:42 PM   #53
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure whats so hard to understand about it, at least the words are clear. Only "girt" is a bit different but once explained it shouldn't be a problem. I do wonder what they will replace the word "Commonwealth" with if ever the monarchy goes and we become independant. I believe the more we sing it the more attached to it we will become as the younger kids only get to know it and not GSTQ. And I dont have a problem with Waltzing Matilda being sung at sporting events to gee up the crowd but NOT as a national anthem.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:07 PM   #54
rapidxr6
AS IT SAYS.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
Actually i think that it is a great Anthem,the problem is that the school system should be teaching the kids the words and sing the song each day before school,and all our new immigrants should be taught the Anthem of their new adopted country.
Cheers John
HERE HERE!! Well said, could not have said it better!
When i was in primary school we used to sing OUR national anthem every monday morning, after the raising of our great countrys flag.
rapidxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2006, 08:47 PM   #55
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidxr6
HERE HERE!! Well said, could not have said it better!
When i was in primary school we used to sing OUR national anthem every monday morning, after the raising of our great countrys flag.
Yep,you're in Australia then sing the Australian national anthem. Theres nothing racist/political or religious about it. It just says what a great country we live in.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:18 AM   #56
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

Unfortunately there is there is a somewhat lack of patriotism in this country.
Sure the emotions stir on Anzac Day, Olympic Games, or whenever any Aussie is battling someone on the sports arena. However it is the other times of the year that pride in our country needs to be shown.
Wether you are a supporter of the flag / anthem or not, FACT IS, it is our current standard and untill it is replaced, deserves respect.
Compared to other anthems the music is stirring, and not boring.

Regards
Paul

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
FPV GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #57
Nappa
Impressive...

I’ve spent time with brass bands, orchestras and also the army and I can tell you that both the Flag and the Anthem mean a great deal to them both, when the full fanfare is played buy a 60 piece brass band with cymbal crashes and flourishing horns, it makes me incredibly proud as dose our flag, many soldiers have died under our flag fighting, many have died under the union jack as it adorns all regimental colours, there seems to be an opinion we should ditch the union jack design in favor of something that we can identify with, but consider the union jack as not just a symbol of a monarchy and an empire but a culture that believes in democracy, it was one of the first modern countries to have a parliament and also a constitution. I’m proud to have British heritage and our joined history. Now I know that not everyone has British heritage in this country, but without those convicts they sent over to colonies this fantastic country could be a very different place. We could still be living in the Stone Age like the indigenous people they found. Imagine us all living in the sticks without the joy of the motorcar.

Sorry for the rant but I’m very passionate about my flag and anthem.

Oh I think the police should have the right to prosecute people for burning the flag, actually any countries national flag for that matter.
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #58
turboute
turboute

Well everyone thinks that there is only two verses...

I have been told there was a third. The fact that it was pretty much a christian verse (lots to do with God etc...) was probably the reason it got dropped long before we started forgetting the second verse. Not sure how true this is though.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #59
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute
Well everyone thinks that there is only two verses...

I have been told there was a third. The fact that it was pretty much a christian verse (lots to do with God etc...) was probably the reason it got dropped long before we started forgetting the second verse. Not sure how true this is though.
With Christ our head and cornerstone,
We'll build our Nation's might.
Whose way and truth and light alone
Can guide our path aright.
Our lives, a sacrifice of love, reflect our Master's care.
With faces turned to heaven above, Advance Australia fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing, Advance Australia fair.

That's the 'myth' 3rd verse (and there are some variations). Sometimes claimed to be 'missing or lost'.

Peter Dodds McCormick did not write them (and they weren't added when they made minor alterations). It's a myth.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post