Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 25-09-2005, 09:12 PM   #1
1998FairmontEL
Starter Motor

Default Towing

Hey, I own a 1998 El Fairmont with the 1600kg towpack. I want to tow a car trailor with another car on it but I want to make sure my car is up to the job of towing it first. so my questions are how would i check to ensure my car has the transmission cooler fitted and also what is the load distributing hitch including heavy duty adjustable ball mount and spring bars as specified for the heavy duty tow pack and what does it do and can it be fitted to my existing towpack to give me some extra towing capacity

1998FairmontEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 09:46 PM   #2
Damo
Banned

tranny cooler will be mounted infront of the radiater, it would just look like a miny radiater. I'd say you'd be fine towing with a Fairmont, I know there are heaps of people on here who have towed Falcons on trailers with there Falcons, auto or manual doesn't seem to matter either.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 10:11 PM   #3
LUXO_8
windsor user

ive only got the 1600kg towing kit on my fairlane, and ive towed cars before, yes, it was over the recomended towing weight, and if anything happens you've not got a leg to stand on insurance wise... i'll be getting a 2300kg hitch reciever type towbar soon, just to be safe.

the car will be fine towing with it, but thats just something to think about
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

be very careful when your hitching them up and make sure you attach chains and d's properly (a must) also if your towing a car trailer the trailer brakes must be working properly
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2005, 10:58 PM   #5
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got an EL Fairmont 4L mate, she towed a car trailer and wreck (2200kg) back from Victoria no worries at all. She even had superlows in the rear for the first part of the trip, which we then changed for tickford springs - again, no worries at all.

Yours will be fine.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:51 PM   #6
jason_85

Does anyone recmommend any rear suspension mods that will be both better for towing my boat and not so low and also still keep the nice el fairmont ride i have?
jason_85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
VertexZ

if you have a HR heavy duty towpack, with the weight distribution hitch, it should be fine. with the weight dist hitch you can adjust the height and angle of the hitch so that the trailer sits level.

I have 2" drop all round and have towed a mates speed boat with this setup and had no drama's. I believe the weight dist hitches are around $150-200
VertexZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

i tow my boat with my car and its droped to the ground and its fine and i have plenty of power and never had a problem
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 11:46 PM   #9
jason_85

Yeah i have the HR heavy duty tow pack but just the standard hitch i think.

Where do ou get these weight distrubution ones from???? Any of our sponsors sell them?

My boats about 17ft inboard 327 chev with a heavy duty dual axle trailer so there is a bit of weight!

excuse the chev.... haha
jason_85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #10
AshMan
Girrrrr!!!

I towed a car trailer with an econo van from sydney to brisbane with a 2l 4cyl pintara... every time it boiled dry I filled the water up and I was off agin :P :P :P

falcon should have no worries.

Heritage green, isn't that a fence paint?
AshMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #11
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Before you go do any serious towing, Ditch the factory trans cooler and go buy the biggest trans cooler you can find. Something the size of an A3 piece of paper should do just fine. $100 outlay for a big cooler will save a $2200 trans rebuild!
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post