Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #1
trueblue
01 Falcon Ute

Default computer problems

hey i have 2..

one is a problem with my laptop. its got some lsass.exe error that counts down from 60sec and turns the pc off.. i downloaded something to kill it but still here.

the other is my brothers computer problem... everytime he moves his mouse the computer makes a buzzing sound?

cheers

WTD mags to suit AU Falcon ute, AU XR rims or BA 18" xr rims. PM ME
trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

the lsass.exe is a virus and you should delete it, find where it is by doing a search, then boot your computer up using just the command prompt, do this by keep tapping the F8 key on startup then select command promt only. and delete it that way
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
trueblue
01 Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Dave
the lsass.exe is a virus and you should delete it, find where it is by doing a search, then boot your computer up using just the command prompt, do this by keep tapping the F8 key on startup then select command promt only. and delete it that way
more info in comand prompt please

Old 14-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #4
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i believe lsass.exe is the sasser virus (correct me if im wrong), very very bad one, if indeed it is the sasser my advice is to log off the internet till you get it fixed and under no circumstances send any emails, the sasser virus likes to attach itself to emails to spread, will try to get some info on how to kill it from a mate (he just recently got rid of said virus)
Old 14-02-2005, 07:07 PM   #5
paul7v7
bring it on

it is a trojan virus..

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS04-011.mspx
http://forum.theispguide.com/isp-ftopic135.html

a good start would be to head to the microsoft site and see if they have any patches for it.
Old 14-02-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
paul7v7
bring it on

Quote:
Discovered on: May 1, 2004
Last Updated on: June 11, 2004 02:57:02 PM ZE9

Symantec Security Response has developed a removal tool to clean the infections of the following variants of the W32.Sasser worm:

* W32.Sasser.Worm
* W32.Sasser.B.Worm
* W32.Sasser.C.Worm
* W32.Sasser.D
* W32.Sasser.E.Worm
* W32.Sasser.G

The W32.Sasser family of worms can run on (but not infect) Windows 95/98/Me computers. Although these operating systems cannot be infected, they can still be used to infect vulnerable systems that they are able to connect to. In this case, the worm will waste a lot of resources so that programs cannot run properly, including our removal tool. (On Windows 95/98/Me computers, the tool should be run in Safe mode.)

Note: The execution of the worm causes LSASS.EXE to crash on some systems. The result of this is that the system may undergo a reboot. The fixtool can be successfully run only after the system has completed the reboot.

What the tool does

The W32.Sasser Removal Tool does the following:

1. Terminates the W32.Sasser viral processes.
2. Deletes the W32.Sasser files.
3. Deletes the registry values that the worm adds.

Available command-line switches for this tool

Switch

Description

/HELP, /H, /?
Displays the help message.

/NOFIXREG
Disables the registry repair (We do not recommend using this switch).

/SILENT, /S
Enables the silent mode.

/LOG=<path name>
Creates a log file where <path name> is the location in which to store the tool's output. By default, this switch creates the log file, FxSasser.log, in the same folder from which the removal tool was executed.

/MAPPED
Scans the mapped network drives (We do not recommend using this switch. See the following Note).

/START
Forces the tool to immediately start scanning.

/EXCLUDE=<path>
Excludes the specified <path> from scanning (We do not recommend using this switch. See the following Note).

/NOFILESCAN
Prevents the scanning of the file system.

Note: Using the /MAPPED switch does not ensure the complete removal of the virus on the remote computer, because:

o The scanning of the mapped drives scans only the mapped folders. This may not include all the folders on the remote computer, which can lead to missed detections.
o If a viral file is detected on the mapped drive, the removal will fail if a program on the remote computer uses this file.

Therefore, you should run the tool on every computer.

The /EXCLUDE switch will only work with one path, not multiple. An alternative is the /NOFILESCAN switch, followed by a manual scan with AntiVirus. This will allow the tool to alter the registry.

Then, scan the computer with AntiVirus and the current virus definitions. You should be able to clean the file system after completing these steps.

The following example command line can be used to exclude a single drive:

>"C:\Documents and Settings\user1\Desktop\FxSasser.exe" /EXCLUDE=M:\ /LOG=c:\FxSasser.txt

Alternatively, the command line below will skip the scanning of the file system, but will repair the registry modifications. Run a regular scan of the system with the proper exclusions:

>"C:\Documents and Settings\user1\Desktop\FxSasser.exe" /NOFILESCAN /LOG=c:\FxSasser.txt

Notes:

* The greater than symbol (>) is not part of the path.
* The name of the log file can be whatever you select. The name listed is for the sole purpose of this example.

Obtaining and running the tool

Note: You must have administrative rights to run this tool on Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.
WARNING: For network administrators. If you are running MS Exchange 2000 Server, we recommend that you exclude the M drive from the scan by running the tool from a command line with the Exclude switch.

For more information, read the Microsoft knowledge base article, "XADM: Do Not Back Up or Scan Exchange 2000 Drive M" (Article 298924).

1. Download the FxSasser.exe file from: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...r/FxSasser.exe.

Note: Version 1.0.1 (As shown in the removal tool dialog title bar) provides support for both W32.Sasser.B.Worm and W32.Sasser.Worm.

2. Save the file to a convenient location, such as your downloads folder or the Windows desktop, or removable media known to be uninfected.
3. To check the authenticity of the digital signature, refer to the "Digital signature" section later in this writeup.
4. Close all the running programs before running the tool.
5. If you are on a network or if you have a full-time connection to the Internet, disconnect the computer from the network and the Internet.
6. If you are running Windows Me or XP, then disable System Restore. Refer to the "System Restore option in Windows Me/XP" section later in this writeup for further details.

Caution: If you are running Windows Me/XP, we strongly recommend that you do not skip this step.

7. Do one of the following:
* If you are running Windows NT/2000/XP, skip to step 8.
* If you are running Windows 95/98/Me, restart the computer in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode."
8. Double-click the FxSasser.exe file to start the removal tool.
9. Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run.
10. Restart the computer.
11. Run the removal tool again to ensure that the system is clean.
12. If you are running Windows Me/XP, then re-enable System Restore.
13. Run LiveUpdate to make sure that you are using the most current virus definitions.

Note: The removal procedure may not be successful if Windows Me/XP System Restore is not disabled as previously directed, because Windows prevents outside programs from modifying System Restore.

When the tool has finished running, you will see a message indicating whether W32.Sasser infected the computer. In the case of a removal of the worm, the program displays the following results:

* Total number of scanned files
* Number of deleted files
* Number of repaired files
* Number of terminated viral processes
* Number of fixed registry entries

Digital signature
FxSasser.exe is digitally signed. Symantec recommends that you use only copies of FxSasser.exe, which have been directly downloaded from the Symantec Security Response Web site. To check the authenticity of the digital signature, follow these steps:

1. Go to http://www.wmsoftware.com/free.htm.
2. Download and save the chktrust.exe file to the same folder in which you saved FxSasser.exe (for example, C:\Downloads).
3. Depending on your operating system, do one of the following:
* Click Start, point to Programs, and then click MS-DOS Prompt.
* Click Start, point to Programs, click Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

4. Change to the folder in which FxSasser.exe and Chktrust.exe are stored, and then type: chktrust -i FxSasser.exe.

For example, if you saved the file to the C:\Downloads folder, you would enter the following commands:

cd\
cd downloads
chktrust -i FxSasser.exe

Press Enter after typing each command. If the digital signature is valid, you will see the following:

"Do you want to install and run "W32.Sasser Removal Tool" signed on 05/10/2004 3:45 PM and distributed by: Symantec Corporation"

Note
* The date and time displayed in this dialog box will be adjusted to your time zone, if your computer is not set to the Pacific time zone.
* If you are using Daylight Saving time, the displayed time will be exactly one hour earlier.
* If this dialog box does not appear, there are two possible reasons:
o The tool is not from Symantec: Unless you are sure that the tool is legitimate and that you downloaded it from the legitimate Symantec Web site, you should not run it.
o The tool is from Symantec and is legitimate: However, your operating system was previously instructed to always trust content from Symantec. For information on this and on how to view the confirmation dialog again, read the document, "How to restore the Publisher Authenticity confirmation dialog box."

5. Click Yes to close the dialog box.
6. Type exit, and then press Enter. (This will close the MS-DOS session.)

System Restore option in Windows Me/XP
Users of Windows Me and Windows XP should temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file onto your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:

* "How to disable or enable Windows Me System Restore"
* "How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore"

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder," Article ID: Q263455.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...val.tool.html/
Old 14-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGhIa
the other is my brothers computer problem... everytime he moves his mouse the computer makes a buzzing sound?
Try turning the volume down on the speakers, and see if the buzzing noise is still there.

I'm guessing the buzzing is worse when he scrolls up and down a page.
Old 14-02-2005, 09:45 PM   #8
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

When it's counting down, open up the start menu>run and type cmd, then in the window that pops up, type "Shutdown -a" (w/o speech marks) and you'll stop the countdown.
Old 14-02-2005, 09:54 PM   #9
LUXO_8
windsor user

in my experience, the buzzing as you move the mouse is interference from the mouse cable over the speaker cables. check that he doesnt have the mouse cable sittong over the speaker cables
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2005, 10:59 PM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lsass.exe is not necessarily a virus, its a microsoft system process dealing with security and login.
The virus masquerades as this file.

In this case it sounds like it is though.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2005, 11:04 PM   #11
trueblue
01 Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny_Puppy
When it's counting down, open up the start menu>run and type cmd, then in the window that pops up, type "Shutdown -a" (w/o speech marks) and you'll stop the countdown.
thanks will try

Old 14-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #12
trueblue
01 Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
in my experience, the buzzing as you move the mouse is interference from the mouse cable over the speaker cables. check that he doesnt have the mouse cable sittong over the speaker cables
thanks also.. ill look into it.. sounds right to me...

his computer is set up for music recording so he prob rooted somthing up

Old 14-02-2005, 11:10 PM   #13
trueblue
01 Falcon Ute

Quote:
thanks also.. ill look into it.. sounds right to me...

his computer is set up for music recording so he prob rooted somthing up
hmmmm...... i asked my brother...

he said the noise is made when you open programs (loading) and move your mouse? so is it possible to get some interferance there?

Old 15-02-2005, 02:48 AM   #14
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

maybe the bufffer is getting full ?

that tends to cause some noise at times

chris
Old 15-02-2005, 03:06 AM   #15
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
hmmmm...... i asked my brother...

he said the noise is made when you open programs (loading) and move your mouse? so is it possible to get some interferance there?
Ahh, sounds like LuvinmyEB is onto something then with her suggestion to turn the volume down.

In my experience, some computer systems do make an interference with the sound system whilst there is activity on particular sub-systems of the computer, for example whilst loading a program therefore working the storage system there can be noise introduced by interference from the storage system showing up in the sound system, same thing is often discovered with when the display system is updating a lot of your screen at once, such as when you're scrolling.

Easiest, cheapest fix is to turn the speakers themselves all the way down, then turn the volume on the computer to about 1/2, then make the computer start playing some music. Turn the speakers up to a comfortable level for the music, then stop the music and try and get the sound to happen again. If it happens again, turn the volume on the speakers down a little and try again. Keep doing this until the sound goes away.

There are other solutions, but that is easily the cheapest solution to that particular problem, which I 've witnessed many times myself.

Last edited by The MaDDeSTMaN; 15-02-2005 at 03:08 AM.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 07:57 AM   #16
hambo_12

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Lsass.exe is not necessarily a virus, its a microsoft system process dealing with security and login.
The virus masquerades as this file.

In this case it sounds like it is though.
Yes, I think it calls itself lsasss.exe (extra 's') to disguise itself if I remember correctly...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #17
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
more info in comand prompt please
the command promt is just like DOS, you have to type the commands, to delete a file do the following....
type del c:\directoryname1\direcoryname2\lsass.exe, where 'directoryname' is the directory or folder where the file has been put
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 06:28 PM   #18
trueblue
01 Falcon Ute

THANKS EVERYONE

my brothers computer is fixed, some kind of electrical interferance... Problem solved by pulling everything apart and putting back together.. but the sound was still there. then he gave the computer case a good wack and now no sound... i highly recomend this method.

also i havent had the lsass.exe problem yet so far.. i downloaded somthing from windows but not sure if it works.. seems to be fine now i guess

THANKS HEAPS

Old 15-02-2005, 06:37 PM   #19
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
THANKS EVERYONE
then he gave the computer case a good wack and now no sound... i highly recomend this method.

THANKS HEAPS
its known in the industry as "percussive maintenance" hehehehe
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #20
LUXO_8
windsor user

is that no bad sound or no sound at all

good to see the whack fixed the problem
:
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post