Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
OzButcher
Silky

Default STOP signs & Consequences

The story begins about 2 months after we bought our first near new car! Our old one was falling to bits (buttons, transmission, power windows etc). Anyway...

I was driving on Waneroo Rd (a Main Rd) going about 70hm/h. I was in the right lane and Traffic was quite heavy. As I was driving south bound I observed a side street coming up on the left and I noticed a few cars waiting.

Just before I was about to pass the side street (about 5-10 meters) I saw a Toyota Hilux ute pull out! I immediately honked and slammed on the brakes as hard as I could.

I knew I had a car to my left and the medium strip on my right with plenty of oncoming vehicles so there was ABSOLUTELY NO WHERE to go! I also knew there was NO WAY IN HELL that my car could stop in time.

From then on it was all happening in slow motion... I was looking directly in the eyes of the toyota driver probably with a look of horror on my face when my XR6 crushed into his drivers door, crumbling half my bonnet. Surprisingly the airbags didnt go off and the impact didnt feel as hard as I expected.

When I got out, trembling and still a bit in shock, not knowing if I should beat the guy's face in... he approached me and said "sorry I didnt look"!

Anyway, after a few days of whiplash and a $10,000 bill we were gald we got insurance. I'm sure that guy will look a bit harder next time.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
BlackLS

Glad to hear you and the other dude is ok mate
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzButcher
When I got out, trembling and still a bit in shock, not knowing if I should beat the guy's face in... he approached me and said "sorry I didnt look"!
I can't believe you didn't smack him out when he said that. I would've. How ИИИИin naive do you need to be?

Glad to hear you're OK though.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Good to hear you are ok. Dont really care about the other fool.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzButcher
Surprisingly the airbags didnt go off and the impact didnt feel as hard as I expected.
As far as I know, airbags get triggered by deceleration speed, considering you were braking before impact, it's not such an 'instant stop' effect. My guess anyway as to why the airbags didn't go off...

Anyhow, good to hear you're ok!! Shame to see an XR in that much pain though :( Post a picky of the 'after' shot (after repairs etc) if you get a chance
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #6
OzButcher
Silky

Thanks guys. It took a couple of weeks to get it repaired and it looks pretty nice again.

The paint looks perfect... thumbs up to the panel beater. I work in the automotive paint industry which makes me quite fussy. I don't think anyone would be able to pick on the paint. Sadly a couple of the body gaps are not 100% but saying this... probably only a trained eye or someone really fussy would spot it. Its sad though, knowing your car has been hurt like this especially when it wasnt your fault.

Here's a piccy of it now XR6 Phantom
Old 08-03-2006, 08:56 PM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
As far as I know, airbags get triggered by deceleration speed, considering you were braking before impact, it's not such an 'instant stop' effect. My guess anyway as to why the airbags didn't go off...

Anyhow, good to hear you're ok!! Shame to see an XR in that much pain though :( Post a picky of the 'after' shot (after repairs etc) if you get a chance
This has been covered heaps before.

You have to impact at 40 or more!

OzButcher - As he was in a hilux and has beter view of an intersection, he doen't have to give way. You don't need to in a 4x4. {end sarcasm}
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
XAGSV8
Member 178

Sorry to hear about the accident. The exact same thing happened to me and I thought about thumping the person until he said sorry as well. I sold the car soon after as it was never the same after that. One thing in my accident was the slow mo and watching the girl in the passenger seat of the other car, her eyes actually bulged out of her head before the impact.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #9
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

[QUOTE=Deadman]As far as I know, airbags get triggered by deceleration speed, considering you were braking before impact, it's not such an 'instant stop' effect. My guess anyway as to why the airbags didn't go off...

The sensors are behind the bumper region - the impact is not that severe.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #10
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Good to see your pride n joy back on the road mate....
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 10:54 PM   #11
EL_Alley_Cat
Me-ow

Holy crap! Glad your ok it pains me to see such damage to such a hot car freaking hilux frigget! I can't believe you didn't smash him! OMG I'd have KILLED him *twitches* what an idiot! *comfort* Hows the whiplash? Sounds like a lawsuit to pay for some mods to me , err I mean the emotional damange...thats it... hehehe jks
Old 09-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #12
XRated
Shoot.

Well it was an excuse to get the bulge, right? :P

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:02 PM   #13
OzButcher
Silky

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Well it was an excuse to get the bulge, right? :P