Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2006, 12:53 AM   #1
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

Default Motorkhana's

Today I did something that I haven't done before, which was a Motorkhana and I must say, what a blast!!! There was about 60 cars that were entered & we had 10 different courses that we had to complete. For those of you who don't know what a Motorkhana is, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorkhana

It was done on a skid pan at Gympie and I was in my dads car for the day, his R33 Skyline, which was fun & interesting as I've only driven it limited times. I was quite nervous the first few courses but once I got into the swing of things it was a lot of fun. I was pretty happy with how I went all day, I think I only spun out once which was on the last run (thankfully it wasn't timed). So suffice to say I was absolutely stoked when the trophy's came out & I got second place in my class : (there were 10 in my class) I was only beaten by 2 seconds for first!

I think the great thing about Motorkhana's is that you don't necessarily have to have the fastest car there, so everyone has a fair chance of winning. I was beaten by an old Corolla & 3rd place was a '06 Suzuki Swift hehehe. There was a good variety of cars, although there were a lot of Skylines there, some of the Torana club was there too & there was a couple of Fords giving it a shot also.

Has anyone else had a go at Motorkhana? If so, what do you think?

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #2
Filthy GT-P
Saving Water Filthy again

Just once at my FPV training day. It was the most fun part of the day. I would love to do it again.

Steven
Old 06-03-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Well done! Congrats on the 2nd place, next year you'll have to win by 2 seconds or more!! i'd love to give it a go, have never done it before. i wonder how a ute would perform.. i guess this is more suited to smaller or awd type cars.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 01:00 AM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I would love to do it aswell..alas ill probably wait until I have a project car of some kind

Sound like you had a ball though!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 02:02 AM   #5
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

I've never had a go, I've watched a couple at shopping centre carparks on weekends. It looks like great fun, I will get out there and do it one day. Theres always been Commodores and Falcons mixing it with the specially built Mokes etc which adds to the variety..

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
347Stroker
Banned

Well done Kristy. They are alot of fun, just wait till you get on the grass events...what a ripper.
You should enter in the series, from memory its only one event in for the year...
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 08:10 AM   #7
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I would love to do it aswell..alas ill probably wait until I have a project car of some kind
I've done plenty of motorkanas and you don't need a "project car" to have a good time. It's all about being neat and precise, and forget about burning rubber as this just looses you time (if you want to win) Of course winning isn't everything so if smoking them up is your bag, then there's lots of opportunity to do that!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 09:26 AM   #8
rodderz

Sounds good Kristy, we used to use plant post for a motokhana course in the paddock as kids (that was a corrolla too!)

They didnt have the spear a spud there too, or go to whoa like the summernats?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #9
hoppo366

I went there it was a great day didn't get to compete cos I didn't get my entry in early enough, but still got a few rides in my mates VB crumpledoor and anothers VS S ute, hopefully be competeing next one though which is the 14th of May I think. You can enter at Autobarn Gympie. Just a matter of interest what did you think of the yellow XE Falcon S pack 351 clevo apparently it puts out 460hp at the treads it had me drooling should have took some pictures of it.
hoppo366 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #10
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Motorkhanas great fun...ah the memories.

Well done second place.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppo366
I went there it was a great day didn't get to compete cos I didn't get my entry in early enough, but still got a few rides in my mates VB crumpledoor and anothers VS S ute, hopefully be competeing next one though which is the 14th of May I think. You can enter at Autobarn Gympie. Just a matter of interest what did you think of the yellow XE Falcon S pack 351 clevo apparently it puts out 460hp at the treads it had me drooling should have took some pictures of it.
Yeah that XE was very nice! The guy could drive it too, I was impressed as to how well he was able to manouver it. I forgot to take my camera so I didn't get any pics of it either :(

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #12
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

i have done a couple of motorkhanas and had a blast. i actually won my last event on handicap out of 80 cars. it is a really good way to get to know your car in a safe environment as outright speed isnt the deciding factor. i would recommend everyone have a go.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #13
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Yep they're good fun all right. Trying to do them on wet concrete at Deca in Shep is a very interesting experience!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #14
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

I did one last year with our Car Club, in my last car, BAII XR8 Ute. Was probably the most fun I've had with any of my cars. Totally safe, and even my girlfriend was worried at the start....She got into the Ute and actually bet me on one or two of the courses....By the end of it, she wanted more...

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 10:32 PM   #15
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Default An old photo set but some of the best fun ever

An old photo set but some of the best fun ever, this was the wife of the day's daily driver (one of the reasons i got to build a race car later)

My initials more often than not were WD (wrong Direction) LOL
Old 06-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #16
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Yep, been in quite a few over the years, had plenty of fun........
Mind you my old XF work ute with no power steering and a single spinner diff don't turn real easy!!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #17
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its great fun! I do the auto crosses, and khanacrosses. Thats more high speed stuff, up over 100 in some spots.

Sideways at least 50% of the time! Gotta love that!

Had a go 3 weeks ago at the (geelong)Avalon autocross track, came 3rd outright out of 45 cars! All sorts of cars, datsun 1600s, commodores v8's, subaru awd turbos... and my Hyundai!

one subaru beat me, and a lightened corolla special(plastic windows, dohc engine..)

Next race is this Sunday. Come and join in. Its only $30.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #18
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

How much tracktime do you get?

$30 sounds like a great deal!
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #19
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Anybody know if these things are run in or around Brisbane
Old 07-03-2006, 11:52 PM   #20
bwhinnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Anybody know if these things are run in or around Brisbane
These guys run them through out the year. They also do an interclub challenge that has more than just motorkhana events in them. Not sure if there is a CAMS affiliated Ford based club in QLD though.

Cheers
Brett
bwhinnen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #21
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What we do is have 6 runs, each one is different, and of about 1.5km, with corners, straights, chicanes, hairpins, even a hill. We start from a "garage" and finish in a "garage", penalty if you skid through or whatever.

We have no practice lap, we study the layout on a map, then have a go one at a time. Theres classes of cars, under 1600, under 2000 over 2000 all standard, same engines but modified, and AWD turbo special classes.

It taakes most of the day, scutineering from 9, racing starts 10.30, then we finish when the ambulance leaves at 4.
You have to be a member of a car club ($30 for a year), and have a cams licence (level 2 non-speed)($40 for a year). Can do all this on the day.

It really is a flat out time trial, fast as you dare!!! Its real driving, not this automatic transmission drag racing stuff.... a brick could do that! :-)

Come and have a look!

From Geelong, you take the Avalon airport turnoff, go over the overpass towards the airport, and you will see everyone at the track on the left.
From Melbourne, take the Avalon airport turnoff again, and you will see it on the left.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post