Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #1
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fake Gt Ho

See an article in the Wodonga Border Mail where a buyer unsucessfully sued a seller for a fake XW GT HO.Apparently the previous owner had owned the car for thirty years and had it checked by an expert who verified its authenticity.When the new buyer had it checked by another expert it was found to be fake.The buyer had paid $135000 for the car before he had it checked.The buyer sued the seller for $110000,being the difference in value but the judge dismissed the case because he found the seller had no reason to doubt that it was a genuine HO.Judge also awarded costs of a few thousand dollars against the buyer.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Fake Gt Ho

Brutal, i wouldn't be going through the courts with my next move
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sued the wrong person - should've sued the original person that confirmed it was real.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2016, 11:01 PM   #4
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a look at this article.

https://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...-falcon-xw-gt/
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2016, 12:48 AM   #5
xr6turboford

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
That was the first thing I thought of
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2016, 12:52 AM   #6
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Fake car buyer’s $110,000 law loss

1 Nov 2016

THE sale of a classic car which turned out to be a fake has left a man $110,000 out of pocket and facing legal bills for failed court appeals.

Wodonga man Glen Sell had no reason to doubt the vehicle he had owned for 30 years was an original Ford 1970 XW GTHO Falcon.

The car had a letter from Ford confirming the car’s identity, which had been based on the vehicle identification number.

An inspection by a Melbourne-based car expert as part of Mr Sell’s divorce proceedings found the car to be genuine.

Mr Sell listed the vehicle for sale on Gumtree in August 2013.

Lyle Walker travelled to Wodonga to inspect the vehicle later that month and looked it over for about 30 minutes before agreeing to buy the car for $135,000.

He had checked over the documents from Ford and examined the vehicle identification number plates.

But he did not ask to see a report from the car expert who found it to be a genuine GTHO.

He planned to get a friend to come down to Wodonga to view it, but never did.

When he finally took possession of the vehicle after making payments for 12 months, he got an inspection with plans to restore it.

The person who conducted the inspection on the vehicle immediately found about 20 things that were not right with the car.

It was found to instead be a Ford Falcon model worth only $25,000 and Mr Walker immediately sought a refund, which the seller declined.

He took legal action a bid to recoup his losses.

Federal Court judge Robert Bromwhich last week dismissed his second bid to recover the $110,000 lost in the deal.

“It apparently was not in doubt that both parties were innocent victims of a fraud perpetrated by someone on Mr Sell when he bought the car some 30 years ago from a Mr Paul Ward,” he said.

“It is not possible to say who was responsible for that fraud.”

A key question in the hearings was whether the car was sold based on the description or by Mr Walker's inspection of the car.

The court heard the seller had only given his belief the car was genuine, but had based that on the expertise of others.

A judge had earlier found Mr Walker had also relied on his own inspection of the car before deciding to purchase it and hadn’t relied on anything said or written by Mr Sell.

Mr Walker has also been left with a bill of $14,162 for Mr Sell's legal costs.

See the link below for photos

This story first appeared on The Border Mail

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4...-loss/?cs=2452
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #7
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

LOL, must be an extraordinary replica with 20 faults! The ford letter of authenticity only confirms the compliance plate information is correct.

It will probably turn out to be a number's job i.e. stolen
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #8
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple - the seller was able to prove he had nothing to hide. He relied on a letter from Ford, and an inspection by an "expert". He had evidence to back his claim as to why he believed it was a HO.

Any buyer should exercise due diligence, and have their own "expert" inspect the car - even more so when they're spending a 6 figure sum....

Had the seller deliberately misrepresented the car, or not had the documentation that he showed to the court, then it would have been a very different story.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lol, dude gave him 12 months to pay it off, that would have had alarm bells ringing immediately.
These cars are in high demand, if the seller knew it was a genuine car he could have moved it overnight almost but instead gives some random 12 months to pay it off.

The whole story sounds bogus never mind the car.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2016, 11:04 AM   #10
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like the Buyer got caught up in the romance, after spending 30 mins looking at the car he obviously thought it to be legit

I would like to know what the 20 faults were..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Amazing that people still rely on the letter from Ford. All that proves is that there was a car built by Ford, not that the car in question is that car. What a dope.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #12
snowcone

I still question the ruling the Magistrate came up with.
Whether the car was misrepresented or not, it was still not what it was advertised as and therefore the buyer should be entitled to a refund.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2016, 01:30 PM   #13
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

In R/T Charger world they even do overspray in the right areas when making clones - I am sure this was one of the 20 faults that this car had as the overspray was not there or in the correct area.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #14
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So maybe at the end of the day Expert#1 was right and Expert#2 was wrong and it is indeed the real deal.Who knows which one of the "experts" was right.!!
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #15
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even if fake at 25k id buy a couple if they are in that good a nick.gotta love media reports
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #16
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

didnt the seller have to have the car valued for a divorce proceeding? I bet he also was miffed that it was nowhere near the value given for the settlement.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #17
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Even if fake at 25k id buy a couple if they are in that good a nick.gotta love media reports
Nothing to do with Media mate, the Claimant claimed the car was only worth 25K and therefore claimed he was entitled to a $110K refund, the media did not make up that number.

Media only reported the numbers presented to the court.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #18
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
claimed the car was only worth 25K .
i've never seen a clone that cheap. Sure he's still out some value, but not nearly as bad as he's claiming.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #19
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree, but a XW GT replica really only $50K, XYs are the ones that pull the big $$, in reality as a rebody the car is worth less. Now that it is out that the car has had an identity change can it be really registered legally?

To make it all legit now, It needs identifying to see what it was, confirm that it is not stolen, then have police numbers stamped on it..

a complete headache to now legitimise it...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2016, 11:46 AM   #20
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what prompted the buy to do more checks AFTER purchasing ? And why didn't the buyer do them prier to purchase ?

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #21
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted View Post
In R/T Charger world they even do overspray in the right areas when making clones - I am sure this was one of the 20 faults that this car had as the overspray was not there or in the correct area.
overspray or its presence is NOT a fault in determining authenticity of the car being the car the id plate says it is.... people try to mimic factory appearance in various places together with paint dabs. I cant speak for chargers, as I don't own any. GT/HO falcons have specific body markers suspension changes and many other changes through months of production. I'm sure knowledgeable people of any marque can reel off intricacies of their particular cars....overspray is more a concourse appearance thing not an authenticity thing...I would suggest the body type was wrong or maybe it was a cut n shut, stamping was dubious in various places rather than the overspray. I'm not familiar with the car or who the expert is and not pretending to be
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2016, 06:48 PM   #22
bathurst-racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
i've never seen a clone that cheap. Sure he's still out some value, but not nearly as bad as he's claiming.
Surely his solicitor ascertained the value of the car as it stood before presenting any figure to the Court as fact ?
bathurst-racer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #23
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst-racer View Post
Surely his solicitor ascertained the value of the car as it stood before presenting any figure to the Court as fact ?
Probably found the cheapest example available on the internet. You know the ones that vaguely look like a GT but missing a heap of GT parts.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 01:09 AM   #24
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

It is no surprise that there are older fakes out there. I wouldn't spend $135k without independant verification these days. Costs not much and the knowledge is better than it was at any time in the past.

A shame though, no one was trying to rip anyone off.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #25
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all....You guys have probably seen this before but it might help in a small way for some...Sad that some unscrupulous people try it on by selling fake cars of any type... http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au...identification ..
I suppose a person could be hoodwinked even by later GT's or XR's with so many parts available nowadays...maybe a little less so for FPV or maybe not..
RE YX's XY's ...If you want to buy a replica or build one , that's fine so long as this is made obvious..You'd have just as much fun and draw a good deal of attention regardless like this one...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn0GcO2dB6c ..There's lots of great replica's like this one out there that'd be great to own at a fraction of the cost..Cheers Rod...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #26
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...Just to muddy the waters even more...Watch this and read the comments that feature 'experts' claiming that the XY GT is a fake..It might be ..who knows..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-XkfC5iZcg&t=95s . And here's a real deal Phase 3.. this is authentic ...Well , I think it is....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n4K3oX-0Dg AND this Oh man something terrific about this old girl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kpEmcuYXak&t=185s Cheers Rod...

Last edited by roddy1960; 06-11-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #27
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day ...Same Paul Carfew ...Owner of the white GTHO on A Current Affair in 2007...$1,000,000 or 4 exotic cars exchange and still not convinced to sell nine years ago when this story was done..
..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkHSm0gBZLc

Is he nuts or the Ford Falcon passionate that tops it all...I'd like to think the latter..
Maybe it's retained the value or maybe not ...anyone seen it anywhere ? Cheers Rod...

Last edited by roddy1960; 06-11-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #28
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...Still on replica's...Imitation is the greatest form of flattery..To have the most famous (still) Falcon of all time being replica'd sometimes to the enth degree just says it all...I'd guess it'd be happening with certain other models but not to the extent of the 1971 Phase 3 XY GT/GTHO...
There's a crowd in the USA that come over here and buy up the XA's , XB's and XC's...I don't believe they're much interested in anything prior or after those three models..All on the back of Mad Max...Watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K-CfWh9nwQ&t=66s .. Here's one of them being collected in OZ earlier...Kind of makes me angry to see them have to go overseas to live on.. I suppose at least they won't rust into oblivion or get full of rat ****https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQZv...t=2s....Cheers Rod...

Last edited by roddy1960; 07-11-2016 at 09:19 AM.