Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2016, 02:40 AM   #121
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Your favourite car for a road trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffRoadFalcon View Post
This... absolutely love it.

imageP1240943a2 by Christopher Hollett, on Flickr
Agree, why would you want to own a vehicle that you were to frightened to drive in case you got a stone chip?
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-04-2016, 02:45 AM   #122
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrys123 View Post
Agree, why would you want to own a vehicle that you were to frightened to drive in case you got a stone chip?
Well... I would love to own many such vehicles... but I too love how I don't have to worry too much, I like to keep it as neat as I can, but at the end of the day, I built it to use it, and that's what's going to happen!
Absolutely love driving it too, the RTV gear has transformed the car!
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #123
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
Either The Wraith:

or Knight Rider

G'day OH MY GOD....For those who think the early AU's were ugly..Now that's ugly..Should have been called the "Fugly" not the Wraith..Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #124
Pilko FNQ

Early 90's I bought a fully restored Datsun 120Y from a mate for $1500.00 after he gave it to his daughter for her first car and she turned her nose up at it. This thing was better than new condition. While I had my XD Fairmont Ghia, on long trips out of Mt Isa to Brisbane or Townsville I took the Datsun purely for the 38 mpg fuel economy. I did heaps of trips in that car and it never let me down and was comfortable to drive even at 6'3". Air con would have been nice however at that stage I hadn't had a car with it anyway. I wish I still had that 120Y along with my Stanza SSS which are rare as rocking horse dung now......
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 12:14 AM   #125
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Please forgive the Venal Since of bumping a Hulk Thread

I really want to take a BIG road trip with my sons.
(Maybe to see off the Falcon, who knows, I'll leave that question for the other thread.)

These would be the cars under contention.

1) Territory Turbo Ghia with LPi.
Awesome highway car, overtakes like nothing else.
Unfortunately once we get away from Perth & the SW, LPG prices are extortionate in WA. Literally cheaper to run on Pulp in some areas.

2) Saab Cabrio.
What's not to love about a convertible?
Performance is ok, and economy reasonable.
Wife would kill me if I hit a roo, and I can't imagine sticking a roo-bar on it.
Plus if something broke, good luck finding somebody to fix a Saab.

3) AU Futura on LPG.
Gotta be honest, the old girl is getting a bit embarassing.
But on the plus side, if it breaks down we can just roll it into the bush.

4) Xr4.
Damn fine little car, and economy is good.
But no cruise, back seat is for the legless, and it needs another 2 gears on the open road.

5) Nissan Patrol 4.2TD
Plenty of space, and range is excellent. Can also wander off the road as required.
Not the best for high speed cruising, and economy is worse than the old AU.

6) Future Ford V8 acquisition.
I have been TOYING with the idea of buying an old V8, either XR8 or 'Lane, El to BF.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 12:33 AM   #126
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
Either The Wraith:

or Knight Rider

Surely Knight Rider for the KITT banter

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 08:57 AM   #127
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilko FNQ View Post
Early 90's I bought a fully restored Datsun 120Y from a mate for $1500.00 after he gave it to his daughter for her first car and she turned her nose up at it. This thing was better than new condition. While I had my XD Fairmont Ghia, on long trips out of Mt Isa to Brisbane or Townsville I took the Datsun purely for the 38 mpg fuel economy. I did heaps of trips in that car and it never let me down and was comfortable to drive even at 6'3". Air con would have been nice however at that stage I hadn't had a car with it anyway. I wish I still had that 120Y along with my Stanza SSS which are rare as rocking horse dung now......
Mum had a 120Y for a while, and at 6'3 I can tell you the back seat was NOT a comfortable place to be on long trips!
Don't recall driving that car, so no experience on that front. That said, these days I don't much care about the back seat. The only time I've sat there in my car is when I've hopped in the back to do some cleaning.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 12:41 PM   #128
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it depends on the road trip. If I was going for a hoon trip then I'd want something fun like a Hellcat or Corvette. If I was going for a cruise trip with a certain someone that nags me when I speed (we all have this person) then I'd choose something luxurious. An S65 AMG comes to mind 😂

Of course right now my one and only car is a 'lane, so it'll take defacto victory as favourite road trip car.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #129
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Any big old Valiant, hemi six and a loud exhaust.
This man gets it.

We used to take the old Val over the nullabor back when it was a 1500 km dirt goat track. Anyone remember Ivy Tanks?
As a Family we killed a few cars on that road, HG and HT kingswoods never made it through but the old Val (it was a VC IIRC) did it several times.

Pffft who needs 4x4 when you have three on the tree and a 215.

Best Highway vehicle Australia has ever produced is the Chamberlain Super 90 tractor, I dare any 4x4 to follow one of those into the bush! Probably wouldn't keep up with it on the Hwy either.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #130
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilko FNQ View Post
I would have thought a long road trip in a Datsun 120Y would be about as much fun as being buried alive in a steel tool box!
Old 30-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #131
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

of cars I owned:

My FG XR6T - Big, Comfy, plenty of overtaking grunt and Not as bad as it could be on fuel.. Miss that car

My current 2015 Mazda 6 Diesel - Comfortable cruiser with heaps of torque for effortless overtaking. Great seats and brilliant stereo for tunes... The fact it gets 1000km from a tank on the highway is good as well (gets 700km around town per tank as well)..

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #132
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ooops getting my tractor models mixed up.
The Chamberlain 9G not the Super 90.

http://www.chamberlain9g.org.au/about-us/

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #133
Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Please forgive the Venal Since of bumping a Hulk Thread

I really want to take a BIG road trip with my sons.
(Maybe to see off the Falcon, who knows, I'll leave that question for the other thread.)

These would be the cars under contention.

1) Territory Turbo Ghia with LPi.
Awesome highway car, overtakes like nothing else.
Unfortunately once we get away from Perth & the SW, LPG prices are extortionate in WA. Literally cheaper to run on Pulp in some areas.

2) Saab Cabrio.
What's not to love about a convertible?
Performance is ok, and economy reasonable.
Wife would kill me if I hit a roo, and I can't imagine sticking a roo-bar on it.
Plus if something broke, good luck finding somebody to fix a Saab.

3) AU Futura on LPG.
Gotta be honest, the old girl is getting a bit embarassing.
But on the plus side, if it breaks down we can just roll it into the bush.

4) Xr4.
Damn fine little car, and economy is good.
But no cruise, back seat is for the legless, and it needs another 2 gears on the open road.

5) Nissan Patrol 4.2TD
Plenty of space, and range is excellent. Can also wander off the road as required.
Not the best for high speed cruising, and economy is worse than the old AU.

6) Future Ford V8 acquisition.
I have been TOYING with the idea of buying an old V8, either XR8 or 'Lane, El to BF.
You can't go wrong with the Territory idea. They are comfy effortless cruiser. Plus the Turbo is AWD so you could sneak off the tarmac and explore off road within cars limits.

Def no to the SAAB and XR4. XR4 is a fun car don't get me wrong but it ain't no hwy cruiser.

Ford V8 would be another good option. I drove my good old EB 5.0 V8 to Bathurst from Melbourne a few years in a row and it loved it! Was getting 750km out a tank and it comfy as.
Old 30-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #134
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
You can't go wrong with the Territory idea. They are comfy effortless cruiser. Plus the Turbo is AWD so you could sneak off the tarmac and explore off road within cars limits.

Def no to the SAAB and XR4. XR4 is a fun car don't get me wrong but it ain't no hwy cruiser.

Ford V8 would be another good option. I drove my good old EB 5.0 V8 to Bathurst from Melbourne a few years in a row and it loved it! Was getting 750km out a tank and it comfy as.
Territory is easily the best car for it. Heading down to Busso or Margaret River is a dream.
If I had a conventional I6 it would be a no-brainer, but if we head out bush, or across country, I just can't afford the fuel she drinks.
Within a few hundred k's of Perth, LPG is still around half the price or less of PULP, but get further away and the price becomes progressively more extortionate. There are places where it would literally be cheaper to burn PULP than buy LPG.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #135
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Falcon or Commodore, 6cyl, RWD.

My G6E was magnificent on long trips. My new Calais will get a tryout in a few weeks (Bris - Melb via coast, return via Newell Hwy.)

I'm sure there are other cars that would do it as comfortably, etc, but I really don't want hit a roo and be waiting in Deliverance territory for a radiator that has to come from Greenland or wherever.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 05:00 PM   #136
BULFALC

ZB Fairlane 302 column auto.Used to look for tunnels to hear the glorious sound thru twin stainless exhaust .Sadly long gone
BULFALC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #137
Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
Falcon or Commodore, 6cyl, RWD.

My G6E was magnificent on long trips. My new Calais will get a tryout in a few weeks (Bris - Melb via coast, return via Newell Hwy.)

I'm sure there are other cars that would do it as comfortably, etc, but I really don't want hit a roo and be waiting in Deliverance territory for a radiator that has to come from Greenland or wherever.
Agreed. Falcon's and Commodore's were built for this stuff! I drove from Melb to Syd many times in my vx commodore and it was brilliant, but I have found an even better car for Roatrips. My Territory. It's just a step up in comfort and just a bit more space if you have passengers.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #138
Strange1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo
Either The Wraith:

I loved The Wraith as a kid

I'll agree with Patty, our Territory is a great roadtrip car. Load all the kids and their crap in it and we drove down to Melbourne, went across on the Ferry and had a holiday in Tasmania. Took it to QLD for trip as well, plenty of space, sits quietly at low revs on the highways and just a relaxing place to sit.

My old EB Fairmont Ghia was also a nice cruiser
Strange1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2016, 11:05 AM   #139
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Postie scooter