Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-01-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Rocker Cover Gasket

Finally the rocker cover I bought a year ago is being powder coated. Should be back Tuesday. Do I need a torque wrench to get the cover bolts tightened correctly. If so, anyone know what the settings are. I am thinking about getting ford to do it as I don't want to void my warranty.

Another thing is the gasket. Silly question, but should I get a new gasket. The only reason I ask is I rang a dealership to enquire on the cost. The guy in spares says that they have never sold a rocker cove gasket to the public, or too the work shop. I would have thought that at some stage they would of had the cover off. So I'm thinking that maybe the gasket can be reused? At $65.90 , I don't want to be rushing into anything.

Maybe I will ask my bestest buddy JC to lend me a hand.

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
scottc

G'day Bucknaked.

JMM have on their parts list,
Rubber Re-usable Rocker Gasket..................... $38

So I am guessing it is reuseable.

http://www.jimmockmotorsport.com/mai...Mail_Order.php
scottc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
xr8ute
Back on the road

Yep, rocker cover gasket will be re-usable. I think torque settings are like 7 or 8Nm...very low.

The worst thing you can do is torque a rocker cover down too tight, worst case it will end the rocker cover around the bolt holes and wreck the gasket.

I usually torque the cover bolts down until i feel a little bit of resistance then go another quarter to haf a turn. Take it for a 15 minute drive to let things settle, then torque it down again in the same fashion.

They dont need to be real tight to stop the oil leaks.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Bucky - as other replies have indicated, the rubber gasket is reusable.

The bolts don't need much - you just tighten the bolt until it won't tighten any more, and then back it off until it leaks oil, then re tighten until the oil stops leaking - you need to have the car running and moving to do this, so it is a 2 person job, one of whom should be a qualified engine rider. ROFL.

Seriously though, the manual says 17Nm for the valve cover bolts - I have a torque wrench, so would be happy to do this for you - minimum charge one hour labour, just like ford, but no GST here! I will even warrant my work - free rocker cover bolt tightening for life!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #5
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buck , what colour you getting the Rocker Cover powder coated?

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Black.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 30-01-2006, 07:41 AM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only a small amount of tightening. Thanks for the info. I did the ones in the XE and it was leaking oil, so I retensioned them and they were good. After a couple of goes at it :

Thanks Scott for the reply. Definatley cheaper going to JMM. Might order one anyway. Cheaper than $65

JC, sounds good. I assume it doesn't take long to do, but I'll check with McGraths furst to see if they are ok with the cover being changed. Vince should have the cover back to me this week sometime. I don't have any money, but I can give you a big wet sloppy one Buckie style if you like :

The cover is going black. I've asked for the paterns on the VCT cover to be polished. So lets hope it comes out ok. Vince seems to think it will look good. After seeing the rims on the SS he had painted, they came out nice and shiney.

Once it's back, i'll post up some piccies
Old 30-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Bucky - it might take about an hour to do. Maybe more, maybe less. Depends on how much you "help".

Oh, and you can keep your wet and sloppy!

JC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Only a small amount of tightening. Thanks for the info. I did the ones in the XE and it was leaking oil, so I retensioned them and they were good. After a couple of goes at it :

Thanks Scott for the reply. Definatley cheaper going to JMM. Might order one anyway. Cheaper than $65

JC, sounds good. I assume it doesn't take long to do, but I'll check with McGraths furst to see if they are ok with the cover being changed. Vince should have the cover back to me this week sometime. I don't have any money, but I can give you a big wet sloppy one Buckie style if you like :

The cover is going black. I've asked for the paterns on the VCT cover to be polished. So lets hope it comes out ok. Vince seems to think it will look good. After seeing the rims on the SS he had painted, they came out nice and shiney.

Once it's back, i'll post up some piccies

Old 30-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #9
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Where did you get the poweder coating done and for how much?

My painted cover is showing its age!
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 10:50 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Jon - Powder coating organised through Vince at Injekt'd in Canberra (02-6162 1904). Not sure how much, but knowing Bucky, it would be this side of $100. I'm sure Bucky would lend you his old rocker while yours is getting done. You could do it all next time you're in town.

Old 30-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Jon - Powder coating organised through Vince at Injekt'd in Canberra (02-6162 1904). Not sure how much, but knowing Bucky, it would be this side of $100. I'm sure Bucky would lend you his old rocker while yours is getting done. You could do it all next time you're in town.
You know me too well JC. All this time I thought it was my concience I've been speaking too. It was JC : It is around the $100. Will let you know exactley when i get it back.

Hopefully tommorrow the cover will be back.

If you need to borrow the rocker cover if your getting yours done John, happy to loan you mine. No probs. It will be in the garage collecting dust.

And before you ask JC, no I'm keeping this. :
Old 30-01-2006, 11:13 PM   #12
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Bucky - it might take about an hour to do. Maybe more, maybe less. Depends on how much you "help".

Oh, and you can keep your wet and sloppy!

JC
You know how good i am at passing you the number 10 ring spanner, shinning the torch and asking "is it done yet?"

That would be great. Will let you know when I'm ready so we can get a time that best suits you. I'll even buy a few beers for me to drink while I watch you work. Water for you big fella. Your working on the buckie mobile :
Old 30-01-2006, 11:17 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
You know how good i am at passing you the number 10 ring spanner, shinning the torch and asking "is it done yet?"

That would be great. Will let you know when I'm ready so we can get a time that best suits you. I'll even buy a few beers for me to drink while I watch you work. Water for you big fella. Your working on the buckie mobile :
No worries Bucky. Just let me know - one night this week (except Wednesday, oh, and probably Thursday) will be fine with me. Bugger the water, you can supply me with coke - the black, fizzy kind.

Old 31-01-2006, 07:44 AM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
No worries Bucky. Just let me know - one night this week (except Wednesday, oh, and probably Thursday) will be fine with me. Bugger the water, you can supply me with coke - the black, fizzy kind.
Ok cool. I'll see if the cover will be ready, but If i have to get a gasket, then I will need to get it from JMM. So I'm not sure this week.

Anyway, i'll let you know

Thanks again

P.S standard, diet, zero, cherry, vanilla, lime or lemon flavour coke. Which one :hihi:
Old 31-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Standard. Or Lime. None of that sugar free crap though. Please/Thanks.

Why do you need a gasket? The standard AU one is already the rubber re-usable one. No need to fork out for another one exactly the same.

Old 22-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #16
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
.... "is it done yet?".........
Well is it bucky?
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2006, 11:31 PM   #17
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tommorrow. I'm picking it up from the powder coaters tommorrow. But I'm heading to Sydney straight away.

Will post pics when i'm back