Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-12-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Timing chain tensioner let go?

Hi guys, a noise from my engine (vct i6) has developed very recently & I'm pretty certain its the timing chain tensioner making the noise. I can hear the noise clearly at the bottom front of the motor when warmed up, a little quick intermittent rattle at around 1100rpm's like a pinging sound & weird clicking or dripping / cupping sound at idle. No noise when cold at all.

I remember the sound the motor made when the tensioner or guide let go - a relatively short sound akin to someone shaking a salt container or a bottle half filled with sand. No metal on metal bang or clunk sound, just a plasticky breaking up sound I believe.

The tensioner & chain are relatively quiet, not rattling its head off when my engine is warmed up. I've done a ton of research on this noise, know I'm seeking some tips or advice on what may have happened, best way to fix it & is there a possibility that the tensioner plunger had let go only?

I would really appreciate some info please, very many thanks in advance!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 
Default Re: Timing chain tensioner let go?

I've recently had the timing case off my car, just sorting out the gaskets that had let go.
You can see at least two of the three guides with the rocker off - inspect how much tension there is on the chain whilst turning the motor over by hand?
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 02:11 AM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi Evgeni, yes will do asap. Hoping the bottom guide is still in position & undamaged. Also just deciding on whether to do the repair job myself or the local trusted mechanic (for the warranty). Will report back with some news very soon.

Thanks for your reply mate!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 30-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Just had the rocker cover off & nothing untoward up top. The noise only happens when the motor is up to operating temp & there's tension on the chain np. Oil pressure is good also. I think I need a second expert opinion on the noise's just to confirm what the issue(s) are.

More info shortly when I get hold of my trusted ex Ford technician Evgeni. Could be a number of things but this weird intermittent cupping / clicking sound is the key sound Imo & one I haven't heard before?

cheer's, Maka

Old 30-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Can you capture the sound in video and upload it?
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #6
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Once I find where my kids have put my camera, I'll upload a photo of the inside of the timing case. May help with ideas/diagnosis.
Old 30-12-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Can you capture the sound in video and upload it?
Nah unfortunately & thanks for the thought, we recently moved house & everything is getting unpacked & put away as we speak plus I'm not savvy enough with my smartphone yet.

It nearly sounds like a dripping sound at idle too, its bloody weird & possible as some silicon sealant may have let go between the head & timing cover....

Any thoughts to any possibilities going by my rough dodgy description of the noise AU99XR? Oil pump on the way, tensioner come apart or bottom guide failure? It really could be anything tbh related to the motor doh!!!

cheer's, Maka

Old 30-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni View Post
Once I find where my kids have put my camera, I'll upload a photo of the inside of the timing case. May help with ideas/diagnosis.
Thanks bro, very much appreciated!!!

cheer's, Maka

Old 30-12-2015, 09:01 PM   #9
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Found it under the couch.
Note the pic of the timing case is from a different car that wasn't running - hence the condition of the timing case. But you can see the bottom guide. It can only be dislodged if it is broken, so unlikely.

Old 30-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Your a true gentleman Evgeni, your photo's are gold!

I will be looking at them very closely that's for sure, thank you heaps mate!

cheer's, Maka

Old 30-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Found it under the couch.
Note the pic of the timing case is from a different car that wasn't running - hence the condition of the timing case. But you can see the bottom guide. It can only be dislodged if it is broken, so unlikely. image

I'm praying your correct mate lol! Strange for all this to happen after a oil change, I've actually removed the 5/40 now & thrown in hx7 10w40, its a lot quieter but the noise is still there at idle.

cheers, Maka

Old 30-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #12
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Mate, I reckon you would have seen little bits of the timing guide in the oil change if it was broken. It is brittle and wouldn't stand up to too much of a knock.
Probably would have bigger problems if it was broken - as in what broke the guide if the tensioner was ok.

Here's hoping for a good outcome!
Old 30-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #13
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

I had broken guides on my F6 and had no idea until I stripped the motor down lol. That guide has a plastic liner that you can see the chain sitting on its slightly different colour. Mine broke the plastic at the bottom and it could slide around. Didnt fall out though as was held in my the timing cover.

This was on my BA engine however the guide looks the same.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #14
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Yep, forgot to mention no nasty bits flowed out with the oil from what I could see, I've kept the 5/40 as it had bugger all milage. I will do a proper siv in the morning & report the findings. Thanks heaps for your assistance once again Evgeni & 99AUXR very much appreciated guys!!!

cheer's, Maka

Old 31-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi guys, I've sivved the old nulon (5/30) oil & no shrapnel which is good. I got just under 4000km out the oil & it was pretty black. It was with this oil the noise had developed, around the end of the oil's service life. I didn't think my motor was that dirty to get that sort of mileage out of the oil,damn!

It was was all good when it was fresh but I guess that the cleaning power of the oil may have been too good or not good enough & blocked up a oil gallery who knows lol!

The Shell hx7 is supposed to be a good cleaning oil so the logic is to see if it can do more cleaning while monitoring the noise seeing if it diminishes over the oci. I will catch up with old mate for his take on the situation when he gets back from holidays next week.

Thanks for your help guys once again!

cheer's, Maka

Last edited by Maka; 31-12-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 31-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #16
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

I had a similar experience when I tried a 10w30. I'm on LPG though. Lasted around 4000k as well before a knocking sound started.
Problem went away with a flush and a thicker oil.
Old 31-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #17
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
I had a similar experience when I tried a 10w30. I'm on LPG though. Lasted around 4000k as well before a knocking sound started.
Problem went away with a flush and a thicker oil.
Hopefully Im correct with the logic like you were mate, thanks for the confirmation Evgeni, your a champion!!!

cheer's, Maka

Old 01-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #18
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hello gents,

My AUII has 10w-30 on the filler cap, I recall a discussion on the Factory fill and spec change from 5w-30 in the AU1 to 10w-30 AUII onwards. Food for thought.
cheers

Bill
Old 01-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #19
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Hello gents,

My AUII has 10w-30 on the filler cap, I recall a discussion on the Factory fill and spec change from 5w-30 in the AU1 to 10w-30 AUII onwards. Food for thought.
cheers

Bill
Hi Bill, yep that's correct mate. I didn't know what the last owner put in my xr & I wanted to make sure I didn't put in oil too thick for the vct unit. I have a sneaking suspicion a 15/40 was what was used by the previous owner.

The noise/s could well be a lifter or 2 not retaining the oil when warmed up, indicating the oil is flowing back too quick, might need the 15 weight perhaps if true. Its just this one strange sound that has me baffled so I need another opinion on It before I throw in a 15 weight oil. I used to use 15 weight in my old au futura with np at all.

cheer's, Maka

Last edited by Maka; 01-01-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 19-01-2016, 12:55 AM   #20
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hi guys, a update about those recent engine noises in my vct. They are very nearly gone now, no more annoying tic tac sound's cold or hot. Yippee!!! ��

We had a good look in & out of my motor & it was a couple of stuck hla's that was the problem causing the noise. The timing chain was good for the mileage & tensioned well too by the tensioner.

The numerous oil changes in a short period of time with the varying viscosity's have helped clean out crud from where it shouldn't be & got the hla's to pump up fully again. Even though 15/40 semi synthetic Penrite is in now atm, there's now no hla shock or noise being damped by the thicker oil, thank god!

A big, big thank you to all who helped out with advice, equipment & tools (Terry, my mechanic mate).

cheer's, Maka

Last edited by Maka; 19-01-2016 at 01:04 AM.
Old 19-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #21
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

One more thing I forgot to mention was the plasticky noise I heard while driving along at around the same time the strange sounds emerged from the stuck lifters. It was a newly & poorly fitted serpentine belt rubbing against the tensioner arm causing some fraying. It was fitted along with a new water pump by a local mechanic shortly before a road trip to fix my fuel economy.

I'm sure glad that sound wasn't anymore serious, I'm lucky!

cheer's, Maka

Old 19-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #22
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
A big, big thank you to all who helped out with pictures advice, equipment, tools (Terry, my mechanic mate).

cheer's, Maka
Late night Las night, thanks for those pictures Evgeni once again mate!

cheer's, Maka

Old 01-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #23
dan75
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Timing chain tensioner let go?

hi guys,

my first post here on Ford Forums.
I've got a great 2002 AU III LPG forte with only 157000 KMs on the motor.

Long story - short - head gasket replaced 27 000 km ago, but found a very slow leak around the head gasket area but, couldn't locate it. No obvious signs of blown head gasket-- water in oil or visa versa.
Cylinder ring pressure tests = ok.
Warranty on head gasket only 24 000 km or 12 months.
Another mechanic said it was a blown head gasket and encouraged another engine for $800 of course well used.

thankyou to all for the posts here about the leaking chain tensioner plug. I had a feeling about it but, knew little of it and the surrounding possible faulty seals. Had no idea there was a good amount of oil pressure in the chain area. Thought it was just a dribble or the same as the motorbike chain grease-- ie extra sticky.

I resealed the chain tensioner plug and alls well so far.

cheers
dan75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: