Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Hazmatt69
Starter Motor

Default Towbars.

Hi all
Can anyone give me a bit of info as far as 2012 MC titanium Mondeo wagons are concerned. Was just checking to see if the wagons are to the job? Mind you it's only the odd trip to the tip with a 8x4 & some heavier stuff every now & again.
P.S My bad if this has been answered previously.
Cheers.

Hazmatt69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Mickmelb

Default Re: Towbars.

My MC Titanium hatch tows like a dream when I take 2 motorbikes down to Phillip Island for track days you wouldn't even know there's a trailer on the back. Only thing I would mention is they don't like LED lights on the trailer it keeps thinking 1 is blown and throws a warning on the screen and the trailer lights constantly flash so either use good old bulbs or fit load resisters to each light circuit.
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
JimStone

MC Zetec Ecoboost Hatch has no trouble with both trailer and car loaded to the gunnels; up and down mountain ranges and a little bit of dirt roads going camping with enough gear to house, feed and water 3 lads for a couple of weeks. As a matter of fact it tows better than the AU Fairmont Ghia it replaced.

If you are still at all concerned about the MC Mondeo's towing ability - check out what the UK lads tow with their 'Estate' wagons...

JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Hazmatt69
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
MC Zetec Ecoboost Hatch has no trouble with both trailer and car loaded to the gunnels; up and down mountain ranges and a little bit of dirt roads going camping with enough gear to house, feed and water 3 lads for a couple of weeks. As a matter of fact it tows better than the AU Fairmont Ghia it replaced.

If you are still at all concerned about the MC Mondeo's towing ability - check out what the UK lads tow with their 'Estate' wagons...

Thanks for that, they certainly don't seem to have a prob loadin them right up to the gunnels. I can see it's not a problem & can i assume most people have a good old Heymen Reese?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
JimStone

Dealer fit genuine Ford towbar - you need an interface module fitted along with the towbar and the car needs to be progrmmed to recognise it has a towbar fitted (switches off reversing sensors etc when trailer is plugged in). Hayman Reese list a tow bar and module, but you will still need Ford to reprogram the car.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
Hazmatt69
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
Dealer fit genuine Ford towbar - you need an interface module fitted along with the towbar and the car needs to be progrmmed to recognise it has a towbar fitted (switches off reversing sensors etc when trailer is plugged in). Hayman Reese list a tow bar and module, but you will still need Ford to reprogram the car.
Thanks for the heads up, will go with dealers deal for a haymen, they're throughing in the module for free as part of the deal so i presume they'll do the reprogramme, but i'll definately be checkin when i eventually take delivery.
Cheers Matt.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Great towing capability....but (OFF TOPIC) isn't that pommy country side GREEN !!!
Especially today given the nationwide heat wave !
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #8
thekovac
Starter Motor

Just recently got a diesel (TDCI) LX Mondeo from work to drive to all my stores (I'm a sales rep) and I'd like to have a towbar fitted to tow a jetski and maybe a smaller car (in the future). I've been given the greenlight to get a towbar fitted, however, obviously, it needs to be professionally done.

I contacted Ford and also checked the archives here and it seems the biggest issue is the electronic part. Not surprisingly; the overly-electronic sensors and setup has issues with a towbar and I need to get a module. Ford sell this for around $120 +Gst. Along with the towbar pieces ($450+GST) and installation, I'm looking at over $1000 :/

Contacted some non-Ford installers, and the average price, aftermarket seems to be around the $600 mark with the module fitted. Is there any way to get the module cheaper from overseas? Do only hayman reece make an aftermarket one? Any issues with them?

In the old threads, there was discussion of the car's ecu needing to be reprogrammed. Is this necessary 3 years on? (i.e. do the new modules eradicate this necessity?) Only reason I ask, is because my car is serviced by Orix and not through Ford. I don't believe Orix they have the abilities to do such changes, as well probably not getting clearance from the company to have my ecu altered like that. Timing is also anouther problem (need the car everyday).

Sorry for the essay folks. Appreciate any advice/help!

P.S. I'm in Melbourne, if anyone has any good recommendations on where to get it fitted for a good price.
thekovac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #9
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

IMHO, if you are still under warranty, get the dealer to do it and guarantee the work.
The price difference would be quickly eaten up with warrranty claim time lost.

And yes, $1000 for a towbar is pretty steep......but (as you say) you need the electronic bits to be overridden *only* when the towbar is being used.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
beenee98
Starter Motor

If you can, get the 12-pin flat plug wired in. I got the standard 7-pin on my titanium to use with a bike rack with led lights. The easiest way I could find to get the lights to work and disengage all the cars sensors was to get the plug changed to 12-pin and get the resistor attachment for the new ranger ute. The plug cost about $120 and the resistor cable was about $30. I did all of this through my dealer. Everything works properly now and I can use either 7 or 12 pin flat plugs now (FYI the lights plug for my bike rack is 7-pin)
beenee98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #11
manchu

Hi All, resurrecting this thread rather than starting fresh as I'm thinking of adding a tow bar to my MC wagon. a few questions.

- Hayman Reese seem like the best option. Any others to consider?

- I'll keep it cheap by going 2nd hand and doing self install. Theres a couple of gumtree for $250 (including ECU module), and a few wrecking Mondeos with towbars. Is $250 about the right price?

- Any tips or traps for install? I understand some sort of reprogramming is required for sensors...can this be done by 3rd party or only ford dealer?

- Ford Mondeo brochure says 1600kg Towpack includes wiring, module, towball and Load Levelling Kit. What's a load levelling kit?

thanks in advance.

manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #12
Binny

Its up to you whether you want to bother with the reprogramming. Its only an issue when you select reverse with a trailer on and it takes literally 2 seconds for your hand to go from the shift lever to tap the button on the dash to turn them off.
Old 24-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #13
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
Its up to you whether you want to bother with the reprogramming. Its only an issue when you select reverse with a trailer on and it takes literally 2 seconds for your hand to go from the shift lever to tap the button on the dash to turn them off.
yeah, I'm not sure I'd bother unless it was very easy/cheap. I'd only be towing a couple of times a year.
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post