Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-02-2006, 10:13 PM   #1
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Trolley jacks bending alloy crossmember AU

G'day All, I was told by a mechanic that the alloy crossmember on AU's supposedly bends if the car is raised by trolley jack there. Fact or fiction?
cheers
Bill.

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #2
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It can break sections of the crossmember. It's alloy, too rigid to bend.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Fiction... as AUXRVIII said it may crack if you dont line the cup up correctly but you could never bend one

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
xr8ute
Back on the road

Hope it's not true, i've raised mine with a 3-tonne trolley jack under the x-member more times than I can remember...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 10:46 PM   #5
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I have to jack it up and check it out as I have a clunk noise in the front end when turning
cheers
Bill.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Hope it's not true, i've raised mine with a 3-tonne trolley jack under the x-member more times than I can remember...
same here ... i am not sure if we are talking about teh cross member or the radiator support. I can believe that the rad support will bend, but crossmember? no way
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

shop manual recomend a block of wood running north south,150 mm long 75 mm wide 38mm deep, with a slot going ACROSS IT 25 mm wide 20 mm from the end and 8 mm deep ,the slot goes toward the back of car, this is recomended for trolley jack support at front. ramps might be an option.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 11:31 PM   #8
64compact

not true it is very ridgid and believe it of not it was designed by a woman engineer at Ford. I have replaced only one for breaking and that was one that hit a bridge colvert at 120klm. it broke the back out of it and took the steering rack and wrapped it around the gearbox, shorting the power wire to the starter and burning the terminal out of the battery.
64compact is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 11:34 PM   #9
64compact

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I have to jack it up and check it out as I have a clunk noise in the front end when turning
cheers
Bill.
have a look under the front and see if there is a squashed Commodore parked there. they clunk real bad when they get stuck.
64compact is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #10
Stampy

Ok that all about the front of your car , So why do people say don't jack an AU up from the diff

I always jacked my old XR6 VCT from the diff centre
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #11
xd5.8l
Banned

Alloy is very brittle it will crack before it bends. I hit a gutter at 60kmh in one and it pulled the front end (chassis rails) down with it.
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 08:58 PM   #12
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampy
Ok that all about the front of your car , So why do people say don't jack an AU up from the diff

I always jacked my old XR6 VCT from the diff centre

I have heard of the IRS diff mounting bushes being damaged when jacking under the diff but then again I have seen a lot of mechanics and tyre places jack late model IRS falcons here.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:57 PM   #13
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i put a peice of rubber or wood between the cross member and the trolley jack, this helps and also helps raise the car a bit better if you guys know what i mean...sometimes its hard to get started

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2006, 10:31 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some mechaniks dont know any better and or dont care
Old 10-02-2006, 03:03 AM   #15
Steve_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
shop manual recomend a block of wood running north south,150 mm long 75 mm wide 38mm deep, with a slot going ACROSS IT 25 mm wide 20 mm from the end and 8 mm deep ,the slot goes toward the back of car, this is recomended for trolley jack support at front. ramps might be an option.
Could you please tell me what manual you got that from? If it was the Ford AU2 workshop manual then whereabouts is it written? Just curious 'cause that's exactly the sorta info I was looking for once but buggered if I could find it in the manual (but it's a big set of books to look through ).
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_T
Could you please tell me what manual you got that from? If it was the Ford AU2 workshop manual then whereabouts is it written? Just curious 'cause that's exactly the sorta info I was looking for once but buggered if I could find it in the manual (but it's a big set of books to look through ).
got it from gregorys 1998-2002 (published by haynes manuals) no.274 found it invaluable steve ,almost as good as ford forums, got it at supercheap, nearly forgot only covers 6 cylander engine.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
got it from gregorys 1998-2002 (published by haynes manuals) no.274 found it invaluable steve ,almost as good as ford forums, got it at supercheap, nearly forgot only covers 6 cylander engine.
Me thinks I might need one of those!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 09:39 PM   #18
T3man
Banned

Typical of a Gregory's manual - POS. The reason you will NOT find this kind of information in a Ford Workshop Manual is because it says, so I've been told by a Ford Tech, DO NOT JACK VEHICLE UNDER ALLOY CROSS-MEMBER! Ford stipulate lifting the vehicle under the side jacking points ONLY.

PS - My local dealer has seen a few cracked cross-members due to people jacking under them.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 09:55 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

t3man your probably right mate ,however not many can afford three hundred odd dollars for a ford (factory manual)