Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #121
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: power prices and renewables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
As far as I know, all you have to do is ring your retailer and tell them to disconnect your power on whatever date you choose. Once that is done you ring your distributor and tell them to collect their metering equipment.

disconnection can be the same day, or could take weeks, all depends on where the team is and how busy they are, suburbia can be quick, country can be slow.

as for meters it varies .....we've had some meters taken away and others left behind.

they do, however, remain the property of the power distributor so you can't use them to meter your usage.

the line is simply diverted ( power company isn't interested once it is disconnected) from the infeed pole to the new power source.

your sparky will have to make the connection to the new source through your fuse panel.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #122
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I would LOVE to have twice the solar I have now.. Going off grid is easy.. I'd like to see them tell me I can't do it!! If I don't pay ?
They disconnect anyway.. Done!! Thank you !!
A few things need to change though
Limit usage after sun goes down.. Like toaster, electric jug..
Or anything over 1200 watt for any time..
I can see a time where elect supply companies are going to try and keep
there customers.." Keep charging" ... Bayching power..
There are alternatives..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 12:23 AM   #123
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
I would LOVE to have twice the solar I have now.. Going off grid is easy.. I'd like to see them tell me I can't do it!! If I don't pay ?
They disconnect anyway.. Done!! Thank you !!
A few things need to change though
Limit usage after sun goes down.. Like toaster, electric jug..
Or anything over 1200 watt for any time..
I can see a time where elect supply companies are going to try and keep
there customers.." Keep charging" ... Bayching power..
There are alternatives..
Yes it would be nice to use your own power, don't pay will get you off the grid with debt collector chasing you, try getting a sparky to do alternate work under these conditions well he would have to be game as official paper work has to be signed, cant see that happening as he will be prosecuted for tampering with mains supply once the states energy regulator gets involved.

It is no simple process as portrayed by some here.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 12:58 AM   #124
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Yes it would be nice to use your own power, don't pay will get you off the grid with debt collector chasing you, try getting a sparky to do alternate work under these conditions well he would have to be game as official paper work has to be signed, cant see that happening as he will be prosecuted for tampering with mains supply once the states energy regulator gets involved.

It is no simple process as portrayed by some here.
So obstructionist mr Blu who is true.
It might be difficult, and what utility isn't difficult to divorce from? but it might not be that difficult, some paper work and the will to disconnect. But it can be done. I think that has been proven enough for these discussions
I don't see why your so hooked on it, why the bugbear? the hurdles you put in your own way.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 01:24 AM   #125
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
So obstructionist mr Blu who is true.
It might be difficult, and what utility isn't difficult to divorce from? but it might not be that difficult, some paper work and the will to disconnect. But it can be done. I think that has been proven enough for these discussions
I don't see why your so hooked on it, why the bugbear? the hurdles you put in your own way.
JP
No it has not been proven, no one has shown any links/reference to power providers or government regulators which clearly shows the due process of asking for disconnection of existing dwelling from providers power grid so they can connect to their own power source.
I'm not saying this cannot or can be done, I'm just questioning it as I'm under the belief government regulations has changed regarding this topic
I have sent a query to Energy Safe Victoria on this subject & wait for answer.
No I'm not hooked or bugbear just curious for a positive answer if any.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #126
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can you point me in the direction on how you officially go about this process of having it done, who do you contact?
This is for Victoria.

Arranging the meter to be abolished is easy. Contact your Energy retailer and ask what is required for abolishing a meter.

They will say a VESI form, and depending on the retailer, they may ask for proof of ownership such as rates notice etc. They may also ask for you to complete their form.

Download the VESI form from below link.

http://www.unitedenergy.com.au/media..._supply_v2.pdf

Complete the VESI form and any other required forms and send to the retailer.

Retailer will submit to Distributor and the Distributor will attend usually within 20 business days and remove supply line and meter. You will then not be connected to the grid.

They may charge you for this service, speak to your retailer before completing this.

The retailer does not need to know why you are abolishing the meter.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #127
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I posted one of those links previously. True blue has obviously been told something different in the past. Be interesting when he hears back from Energy safe Victoria.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #128
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to find out the answer considering I arrange meter to be abolished on a daily basis.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #129
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Interesting to find out the answer considering I arrange meter to be abolished on a daily basis.
When you say arranging this on daily basis is this for houses & businesses to be demolished or renovated?
The link you provided for that form clearly states premises to be vacated & that part is a mandatory requirement to be filled out.

When I do get an answer from ESV I will post up, whenever that will be from them.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #130
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When you say arranging this on daily basis is this for houses & businesses to be demolished or renovated?
The link you provided for that form clearly states premises to be vacated & that part is a mandatory requirement to be filled out.

When I do get an answer from ESV I will post up, whenever that will be from them.
I have abolished plenty of shed meters and the property is not vacant.
Old 13-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #131
zilo
BANNED

A simple how to for you budding off gridders...

For those of you contemplating going "off grid" bear in mind that the inverter units that are currently employed to grid feed your panels will not suffice.

This is because they rely on the grid as a reference for frequency and voltage.

However....

If you have been clever and rich enough to buy only SMA grid feed inverters you are in luck.

SMA make a device called a "Sunny Island".

This clever ($5000 dollar) device will provide the reference parameters to keep all your existing SMA grid feed inverters happy off grid....almost as many SMA inverters as you can throw at it.

It will also control the charge of your battery bank for when the sun goes down.

It can be programmed to load/dump a hot water system or spa/pool etc etc etc.

You can connect your wind turbine to it etc etc etc.

Without this device you are screwed...big time.

How do I know? cause I have done it.

Don't waste your time with the Selectronics unit for off grid, it is incompatible with other grid feed inverters that you already have.

If I were a power company i would be seriously worried about my business model with these types of options.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #132
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

been talking to a few boffins on whirlpool who seem to know the goods........a lot of stuff in the pipeline with lower prices to boot.

easiest way so far, that we have found, is to charge the batts using current technologies, (won't use brands as too many arguments ensue) then we run everything off batteries through various inverters.

the only drama so far is that folks still want ALL their goodies.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 13-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #133
zilo
BANNED

poppa smurf, I can tell you that the latest samsung 280L fridge with the new fangled inverter technology compressor uses less power than my toshiba laptop when on full sing.

and it makes ice cubes in about an hour too!

(was the only 4 star rated fridge at a reasonable price )

Also...it was cheaper to buy 4kw of panels and a conventional element hot water system instead of a "solar" hot water system and hook it up direct.

Works perfectly with a 2.4kw element...but not a 3.6kw
Old 13-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #134
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
This is for Victoria.

Arranging the meter to be abolished is easy. Contact your Energy retailer and ask what is required for abolishing a meter.

They will say a VESI form, and depending on the retailer, they may ask for proof of ownership such as rates notice etc. They may also ask for you to complete their form.

Download the VESI form from below link.

http://www.unitedenergy.com.au/media..._supply_v2.pdf

Complete the VESI form and any other required forms and send to the retailer.

Retailer will submit to Distributor and the Distributor will attend usually within 20 business days and remove supply line and meter. You will then not be connected to the grid.

They may charge you for this service, speak to your retailer before completing this.

The retailer does not need to know why you are abolishing the meter.
You are correct in this, have had reply from ESV, interesting I was told different info from an energy retailer a couple of years ago which was confusing but I should have known better & contacted ESV in the 1st place.

This was ESV response to me:
Quote:
Yes you are certainly permitted to do this you will need to apply for an abolishment of your supply in the first instance.
Any generating system will however need to be inspected by an independent inspector and certified as compliant for use before it can be energised
My apologies to every one for being wrong & a pain in the but.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2014, 06:05 PM   #135
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You are correct in this, have had reply from ESV, interesting I was told different info from an energy retailer a couple of years ago which was confusing but I should have known better & contacted ESV in the 1st place.

Thanks for coming back and informing us of your findings. A good deal learnt today.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #136
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
poppa smurf, I can tell you that the latest samsung 280L fridge with the new fangled inverter technology compressor uses less power than my toshiba laptop when on full sing.

and it makes ice cubes in about an hour too!

(was the only 4 star rated fridge at a reasonable price )

Also...it was cheaper to buy 4kw of panels and a conventional element hot water system instead of a "solar" hot water system and hook it up direct.

Works perfectly with a 2.4kw element...but not a 3.6kw

there is a lot of "inverter" type technologies on the market at the moment......I see Daikin now has 7 star rating, inverter air conditioners......

getting to the stage where it won't be long and all luxuries can be had on solar/batteries.

42 here today......wouldnt want to be without the cooler.

just got to get the batteries down to a price and reliability that we can cope with.

then we can do without the gennies.

This user likes this post:
Old 13-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #137
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

well I'll take my hat off to you for having the guts to admit when you're wrong, that, to me, is the measure of a man..........

most would have simply gone away.

energy companies are still coming to grips with this new line of thinking (going off grid)......

Old 13-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #138
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
well I'll take my hat off to you for having the guts to admit when you're wrong, that, to me, is the measure of a man..........

most would have simply gone away.

energy companies are still coming to grips with this new line of thinking (going off grid)......
Thanks Poppa.
Energy companies are not being forthright on info at times, I should have known better then again I been out of the trade for the last ten years, must get back into it again & brush up on the latest regs.

Cheers
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2014, 08:46 PM   #139
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Well we had 2 prices for power to our bush block from Powercor. First one was $170,000, I kid you not, second one, if we got permission from the neighbor, 40k. And that is only to the fence line.......So let's just say I love these threads. Keep the info coming......
Old 13-11-2014, 09:01 PM   #140
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Well we had 2 prices for power to our bush block from Powercor. First one was $170,000, I kid you not, second one, if we got permission from the neighbor, 40k. And that is only to the fence line.......So let's just say I love these threads. Keep the info coming......
What distance are you talking & have you considered a quote from a private contractor?
Old 13-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #141
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

About 300 meters to the fence line and no , only Powercor at this stage.......
Old 14-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #142
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

I just helped a mate in Eildon who needed a 440 metre line.

Powercorp quoted 77k.

We just went to Middendorp's, bought a 500meter roll of 10mm conductor diameter single phase wire...(the thickest they had)

Threw it on the back of my cruiser with a pole through the middle of it.

Started at the top of the hill and unraveled it all the way from his house to the meter box down the hill.

It needed a 5 tonne bobcat to get the big wooden spool on the ute.

It's the pretty orange encased stuff and it weighs a lot.

500 metre roll was 2500 bucks...chicken feed in the big picture.

I measured the resistance at 2 ohms shorted out...that's stuff all.

We then put a 30amp plug on both ends and loaded it up with his cement mixer, TIG welder, jaffle maker, grinder etc etc.

We got 45 amps out of it and the voltage dropped from 239 to 232.

WGAF? that's stuff all.

Dug a trench and threw it in with some safety tape on top.

His house will use solar panels everywhere and can still pump back onto the grid.

Piece of cake....Total cost $2700 inc cable, plugs and beer.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2014, 10:35 PM   #143
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Makes me wonder if your property is at the end of a power pole run as powercor might be quoting a transformer.

I would seriously get a few quotes from sparkys to quote from your neighbours to you, they will give you an idea if voltage drop is an issue.
Old 15-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #144
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Sparkles tend to be expensive .. Try and find an overhead or underground cable laying company.. He'll at those prices a solar and diesel generator could be run just off interest saving..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #145
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Makes me wonder if your property is at the end of a power pole run as powercor might be quoting a transformer.

I would seriously get a few quotes from sparkys to quote from your neighbours to you, they will give you an idea if voltage drop is an issue.
They did I think from memory mention a transformer...... There are a lot of 20 acre blocks in and around our block and I'd say only half have mains power. The rest are self sufficient....