Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-02-2006, 03:28 AM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Question Changing Transmission from power to econ in an AU XR6

Hi guys and girls , this may sound like a silly question - but as i have never had a glovebox handbook for my AU XR6 - thus i have no idea about alot of the electrics etc etc . 'Aparentlly' I have heard it is possible to change the automatic transmission settings from power to economy and a 3rd option aswell maybe - so i have heard ? . I have the 4 speed auto without the button to select between power and econ , my model car is a 2000 AU XR6 VCT, any help would be greatlly apreciated. thanks

XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 06:03 AM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

ok - no need , i found a link to an article on it - if anyone else is looking for this info goto http://www.aufalcon.com/Articles/adapt.htm ..bye ..
Old 01-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
Stampy

Here is the one I have

Re: AU II XR6 Adaptive Shift Transmissions

Alright this is how you change the modes in the auto

Ignition off
Select 1st gear for performance mode (the only one i use) /2nd for econ/ or 3rd for adaptive shift

Turn ignition on to accesories and wait until the airbag waring light goes off
Then move the shifter to Reverse and wait for the econ light to flash 3 times on the lcd display

After the third flash select park and start the car
1 flash of the econ light means a sucessful switch to Performance mode
No econ light means a sucessful switch to adaptive shift mode
Consant econ light means sucessful change to econ mode
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

STAMPY thank you .. originally quoted -->>

"1 flash of the econ light means a sucessful switch to Performance mode
No econ light means a sucessful switch to adaptive shift mode
Consant econ light means sucessful change to econ mode" ....

I was wondeing about that , i though the thing was up ИИИИ creek when i was getting the power of performance setting but still getting econ light on dash , allthough i did get one flash so i was in performance , that clears thing up, cheers.......
Old 01-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Actually something i gotta mention here too , When i bought the car i actually knew not to much about the tranny really , i didnt realise it had 3 settings . On the dash it originally had no ECON displayed - so im gathering it was on adaptive shift mode 3 - when it was on this setting the car idle very smooth and wet like a bat out of hell , was very happy with the performance i was getting considering the low amount of fuel used. Ran very smooth , very responsive , and if floored would hit just under redline each gear. Now the problem - when i set it to performance mode 2 - the car had a better tone , idled like it had a lumpy cam, had a very nice tone to the exhaust - sounded and felt like a completelly different car - used heaps more fuel - but didnt seem to have as much go as the adaptive shift 3 . Now even worse - when i goto econ it runs smooth , low gear changes (doesnt rev its balls out ) - still plenty of power ( almost only just below performance wise of setting mode 2 ) but using even more fuel than all the other modes - and this is economy ! - i was literally watching the DTE gauge go down -1 at a time each 2 seconds :O ! - any help plz ??????? - model is AUII XR6 VCT 200 model . thanks
Old 01-02-2006, 09:45 PM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

2000 model ....lol stupid typo mistake sorry ..lol
Old 01-02-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Strange, i actually changed mums car from Econ to Performance Mode and couldn't belive the difference, felt like the car had lots more go, uses more fuel, very racy now, half throttle it and it drops a gear and wants to go :sm_headba

Will probably change to adaptive shift soon as i see performance mode drinking alot of fuel :
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #8
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

hmmmmmm , thats what im suspecting , i think mine should be more that way too , i know when i bought the car form the dealer they tuned it before i picked it it , maybe tuning it on mode 3 and not been run on anything else until now had messed the chip setting up a bit , looks like i might hae to reset it - is it as simple as diconecting battery for the night , then reconecting and enter radio code etc etc - and letting the chip learn your style of driving ?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:10 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

oh - forgot to mention , as far as power etc - 'performance' setting it did have more go than the 'economy' setting , and 'adaptive shift' ( mode 3 ) went harder than all of them , strange thing is 'economy' is using more fuel than all of the other setting and goes the least hardest !!!???? - and 'adaptive shift' uses the least fuel and goes like a bat out of hell harder than all the other settings - more like what i would call performance !! - is like the performace/fuel consumption ration is all *** about
Old 01-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #10
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perform the ECU Reset as found on aufalcon.com.au

You will need to reset the Transmission mode afterwards as well

(Note: You can't really "tune" AU's as the ECU does not allow for changes to be made. Whenever an AU is "tuned" all they do is the above battery reset procedure and replace any filters/leads/plugs/oil that probably didn't need changing in the first place )
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #11
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

clotarf x - hi and ty for that info - all these little things add up and help heaps - specially when i didn't recieve a general handbook with the car in the glovebox - and all this ECU stuff is new to me after having dirty old v8's for years that only needed spark and fuel - nothin else to it - everyhting is computers these days and i aint getting no younger and it isnt getting any easier ..lol . I tried searching that site for how to reset the ecu with no luck ( prolly just me - useless with search engines ) - would u possible know the link to the actual forum that describes how to reset the ecu ? - and when u say the tranny will have to be reset after reseting the ecu , do you mean select 1 of the 3 options again , or is there a chip that has to be reset for that too ...... sorry for all the questions - i must sound like a copper ..lol - i seem to understand the theory how it all works now ( found details about how i6 works nowerdays and how the ecu controls nearlly everyhting these days god help us ..lol ) - just cant find the info to reset it and reset the tranny u talk about having to reset too ( that being new news to me too ..lol ) - any help appreciated heaps - thanks again -------- FORD === 'F'irst 'O'n 'R'ace 'D'ay / old 80's quoet.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

It's ok i found the link - very helpfull and self explanatory - seems easy enough - ty for the info - if anyone else is looking for the forum on how to reset the ecu in a AUII goto this link http://www.aufalcon.com/Tech/TechECU.htm ....
Old 01-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #13
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Ok another post from me !!! - 1 thing it didn't mention is which mode of the 3 should the transmission be in for the first drive after reseting the ECU ? - first drive in econ , performance or auto learn ?????? or does it not matter ?????
Old 02-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #14
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Most probably be Adaptive Shift Mode 3 mate.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:31 PM   #15
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Dark Horse - Cheers mate, my mind was wondering that way too , seeing u think the same thing then ill do it that way , thanks again ;)