Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #91
b2428

Default Re: Hulk Friday: enthusiasts that buy lesser cars for their wives/family to commute...?

I have a modeo the missus has a pulsar. Before my mondeo I have had only a us sir cars and she has only had nissans. After her micra was written off I allowed her to choose whatever she wanted. Why because she has to drive it and has to love what she drives. Just like myself. However possibly different to others (not 100% sure) we don't have a his or hers so much. We drive whatever we grab the keys to first. And at the end of the day we drive or park wherever we want.

Having said that she is huge holden fan (don't hold that against me) and is why if she really wants the purple be ute she craves then she will get it because you have to love what you drive. Hope that makes sense it's Friday night after all haha

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
Old 05-09-2014, 10:38 PM   #92
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Re: Hulk Friday: enthusiasts that buy lesser cars for their wives/family to commute...?

I think the problem with this line of thinking (partner must have the same $ value/age/equipment in their cars etc) suggests most woman actually like cars. I don't know if many are aware but on the list of many woman's priorities an equivalent car to you is normally not that high up the list. Many are more interested in homes, jewelry, shoes, clothing, their hair... and the list goes on. Many woman want a funky little run about with cute gadgets in a colour they like that they can take the girls out in, or a practical SUV or minivan to take the kids in. How many times have we all heard a woman say "Oh I bought a new car yesterday, it's cute, has this cd player that I talk to for my ipod, it's (insert colour here) and I can fit (insert number of items) in the back!"? I had at an educated guess, more than you hear say "I bought a new BMW M3 in arctic white with the upgraded ceramic brake pack and optional 21 inch wheels wrapped in Pirreli PZeroes..."?

A car is just not as important to most woman as they are to a guy (mind you even today cars are less of a desired item for men and more of a means of transport then to us enthusiasts).

Don't get me wrong, there are woman out there that love nothing more than a brutish muscle car (my wife included)! There are many here, but we (enthusiasts, male or female) are not the rule, we are the exception. So to make a judgement call based on a woman's car vs her other half's is assuming too much. Why do we think that the sector is shrinking where we find most enthusiasts cars and the run abouts are growing out of proportion?

But to answer the question what does my other half drive... (Before we moved overseas) her pride and joy 03 V8 Fairy Ghia. Exactly what she wanted, even more than a GT or my F6. Did I have to force her to buy what she really wanted over a cheaper option... yes. Everytime she started it, did she love me for making her buy it... YES. No $ value can beat that!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build

Last edited by Mr Brooksy; 05-09-2014 at 10:45 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #93
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I know I don't fit the female stereotype suggested elsewhere in the thread, being an enthusiast, but I have to say that I disagree with the OP.

As long as the cars are safe, roadworthy and reliable, let them drive what they want. It doesn't have to be the latest, newest thing out - even if the other half has something like that. Of course people want to keep the family safe to the best of their abilities, but that doesn't always equal 'pricey new car'.
My 1979 XD was perfectly safe for me when I first started driving, and I maintained it well.

I understand the people who don't allow their partners to drive their pride and joy, because I would be the same. Much like the thread awhile back about mates borrowing your car. Not everyone has the same understanding and respect for your things as you do.

I have the car I want. I love my car.
I don't allow anyone to drive it other than Dad, and only occasionally, because I still get worried about it being in the hands of someone who is unfamiliar with it, so if I was silly enough to get myself a boyfriend, or completely lost control of my mental faculties and got married, hubby would have to pry my car keys out of my cold dead fingers.

There is no eating, no liquids other than water to be consumed in it.
It is a child and animal free zone.
I wash, polish, wax and vacuum it regularly.
I am EXTREMELY fussy over where it gets parked.
If I drive it in the rain, I will spend the time to towel it off when I get home.

Whenever possible I will drive to work and park in the secure yard, and then borrow the spare car from there - a 1994 Excel with no power steering, and use that instead if heading into the city or somewhere I don't like the idea of parking it.

In fact, I do that every week to drive across the city to go to Finnish classes.

If a man tried to get between me and my car, he's going to have a problem.

But by the same token, I would NEVER ask to drive his car. I would only do it if it was absolutely necessary, and even then I would not be comfortable, only because I would be worried that something might happen out of my control and cause damage, and that would make me feel awful.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
6 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #94
Thornie
Off smelting

I've always been the one to have the ****boxes, and missus has had the good cars, so i got to get a decent car last year while she drove her once good car, that had since turned into a *******, Now she has just bought herself a subaru brand new and we both now have decent cars.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:13 AM   #95
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

Well, I have the Ghia daily and she has a Ka. I'd love for her to have a safer, more modern car but with mortgage and the huge cost of living these days, that sort of thing isn't easy for normal working couples in this day and age. How people afford the latest high tech cars on average wages I'll never understand. Maybe they barely can, but go out on a limb financially for appearances sake. Not for us, I'm proud to have two very neat, older Fords in the driveway!

Mike

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 AM   #96
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Closed
Closed Thread