Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fun Offroader

Thinking of getting a fun car so I been looking around the caryards at Jap imports to old style open tops to fun 4wds and I been back to look at the Jeep Wrangler but don't know much about them and wanted to know dose anyone here have one or know what they are like .
This well be a fun car not a everyday driving car .
Any help will be nice and no I don't want a XR6/8 or any high power v8 as I ready have the Falcon .

WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 01:53 AM   #2
EF GHIA
Starter Motor

Two friends of mine used to have a soft top suzuki LJ50 each that they would hook together with a stiff arm bar (push pull) the places they went were incredible. The wrangler is a very capable off roader, have fun.
EF GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
lisa76
BEU77Y and the BEE55T

Jeep Wranglers are top offroad cars - I really don't think you could go wrong there. My brother had a Suzuki Sierra which went just about anywhere, but it broke down an awful lot so I wouldn't recommend them too highly. We have a Landcruiser which goes anywhere and has the scars to prove it, but it is a larger car and it sounds like you are after a smaller one.

Still on the larger side, the SWB GQ Patrol will go anywhere and give you alot of fun also.

His: BEE55T 80 Series Landcruiser
Double diff locks, Rancho in cab adjustable shocks, 2" lift, GPS, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws (offroad) and coming soon Mickey Thompson ATZ Radials
lisa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looked at a SWB Patrol but they are getting a bit long in the tooth and as for the Suzuki they never bought them out with a good size motor only hand the little 2 potters in them (for the soft tops that is ) so I still don't know yet
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought an 86 Pajero 2.4 Turbo diesel for $2300 - it was an amazing price really, so thats why i got it, it was in pretty much perfect condition, everything worked, even the A/C. I wouldnt be too fussy what to get, but make sure its a diesel (turbo is nice, but not necessary for off-road) you get better range, and compression with a diesel as well as low end torque. Any aftermarket stuff fitted, like mud tyres, diff locks (both axles) snorkel, bull bar and lifted suspension with good articulation are worthwhile bonuses. I personally wouldnt get a soft top for off-roading (trees and branches could come down, or just scrape the roof) i would recommend any of the following if u can get them, Landcruiser, Patrol, Maverick, Pajero, Jackaroo, Navara or Hilux, but dont be too picky on the brand etc, you can have fun with just about any decent 4x4 off road, and u dont need to pay a bucket load for them - seriously there is no better hill decent control that low range 1st with a diesel engine
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Friend of mine had a short wheel base land cruiser. That thing was unbreakable and would just keep going. We were able to set up a tent in some amazing places.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 05:13 PM   #7
lisa76
BEU77Y and the BEE55T

As chevypower said - if you can, get a diesel. Turbo is nice on the bitumen but not necessary in the bush. If you can stick with the main models mentioned - landcruiser, patrol, pajero, hilux, jackeroo you won't have too many dramas. Even the Bravo does ok. Don't bother with Hyundais - they are limited offroad as they just don't have the clearance and articulation the other models do, at least not if you want to go serious 4wding.

Whatever you choose, make sure it has the necessary stuff on it - you'll find bullbars and UHF's are vital really and snorkels are a high priority aswell. Diff locks are great - you can get out of almost anything with them, mud tyres or at least all terrains are a bonus - highway terrains won't last long in the bush. Air compressors are handy - you can pump your tyres back up yourself then.

A diesel landcruiser will take you anywhere and are almost unbreakable. Ours is 13 years old, done 420,000kms and still going strong. We have seen some amazing country in ours and have gone places you wouldn't think possible in a vehicle.

Our setup has a steel bullbar,Safari snorkel, UHF, GPS, Mickey Thomson Baja Claws (for bush) and Coopers A/T (for bitumen), double diff locks, 2" lift, air compressors, Rancho in-cab adjustable shocks, dual tanks, Lightforce spotties and all the regular recovery gear.

Good luck with choosing, you'll have a ball with whatever you choose.

His: BEE55T 80 Series Landcruiser
Double diff locks, Rancho in cab adjustable shocks, 2" lift, GPS, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws (offroad) and coming soon Mickey Thompson ATZ Radials
lisa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post