Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #31
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default Re: Danny Green Coward Punch Ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
I could be wrong here but back in the 60's and 70's we didn't combine drinking with steroids and other body building drugs - just grass and it was mellow...
In those days there also wasn't the uleh influence!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #32
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Its not just the juice/steroids that does it,its ice,speed,rock,crack,pills etc, evrybody is on drugs when they go out drinking,has been for as long as i can remember.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #33
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last Friday night my partner, her 2 kids and I sitting in the garden bar of a pub on the Central Coast having a drink and waiting for our meals to arrive. About 10 minutes after arriving and settling in with our drinks we notice a group of 4 guys in their late 20's early 30's standing about 3 metres from us drinking beers and carrying on like idiots. One of the guys in the group was pretty ****ed and harassing people as they were leaving , not being overly abusive but it was harassment nevertheless. After looking at the girl sitting at the table next to us and half dropping his dacks in brown eye fashion in front of her this bloke starts to make suggestive motions to this girl, and rubbing his old fella down his pants until her boyfriend arrived with his beer. Then this clown starts swearing and carrying on like an imbosile. All this in front of my partners 12 and 14 yo daughters. There was quite a few families in the bistro as it was only 7pm.

Now all it would take would be for some muscled up Arnie look alike who's there with his family having a nice peaceful night to get jack of this carry on and come up to this guy and slam him one. Then its lights out for this guy, he hits his head on the concrete and dies on the way to hospital.

Now for one minute I'm not condoning the actions of these guys who partake in "coward punches" in any way, shape or form whatsoever, but after what I witnessed on Friday night you can see how easily it can happen. Bloody hell I was only an inch away form sorting this bloke out myself if things had gotten any worse or he insulted my family!
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #34
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Im sorry, but this topic is a real concern of mine as a father of a 15yr old lad who is starting to venture out of the nest.
To be quite honest I worry every time he goes to the shops for late night with mates or on public transport.

Only last Friday he I found myself sitting at the Elizabeth railway station watching him from afar making sure that he got on the train safely. He had been at the local pool for the afternoon with a mate. I then drove to the station he was to get off at and watched him and his mate walk to his mates house.
I would have given them a ride but i only had 1 spare seat in the car and certainly wouldn't have left his mate alone.
My son was none the wiser, however, its certainly not a trust issue between us, I'm simply terrified that he will walk into a situation that he is not capable of avoiding or defusing.
He's not a fighter, not interested in self defence classes or anything, in fact he's probably too trusting for his own good.

Its true though, the title of that other thread. This place is going to the dogs.
Bent 8.....you're going exactly through the same thing i am with my youngest boy who is also 15 and very similar to your son by the sounds of it - a quiet pleasant lad who detests fighting, not cocky or loud and is too bloody trusting. I hate it when he says he's getting a train to the city with his mates as this town has become a thugs paradise.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #35
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
Last Friday night my partner, her 2 kids and I sitting in the garden bar of a pub on the Central Coast having a drink and waiting for our meals to arrive. About 10 minutes after arriving and settling in with our drinks we notice a group of 4 guys in their late 20's early 30's standing about 3 metres from us drinking beers and carrying on like idiots. One of the guys in the group was pretty ****ed and harassing people as they were leaving , not being overly abusive but it was harassment nevertheless. After looking at the girl sitting at the table next to us and half dropping his dacks in brown eye fashion in front of her this bloke starts to make suggestive motions to this girl, and rubbing his old fella down his pants until her boyfriend arrived with his beer. Then this clown starts swearing and carrying on like an imbosile. All this in front of my partners 12 and 14 yo daughters. There was quite a few families in the bistro as it was only 7pm.

Now all it would take would be for some muscled up Arnie look alike who's there with his family having a nice peaceful night to get jack of this carry on and come up to this guy and slam him one. Then its lights out for this guy, he hits his head on the concrete and dies on the way to hospital.

Now for one minute I'm not condoning the actions of these guys who partake in "coward punches" in any way, shape or form whatsoever, but after what I witnessed on Friday night you can see how easily it can happen. Bloody hell I was only an inch away form sorting this bloke out myself if things had gotten any worse or he insulted my family!
So what did you do about it. Call the bar manager ? get security involved ? There are plenty of "non violent" ways to get idiots like this bloke into strife & make them think twice about doing it in future.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #36
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
So what did you do about it. Call the bar manager ? get security involved ? There are plenty of "non violent" ways to get idiots like this bloke into strife & make them think twice about doing it in future.
Bar manager nowhewhre to be seen and it became apparent that the bar staff were friends of those dudes, so I think reporting it to them may have just imflammed the situation. We just moved inside, finished our meal and left.

Old 22-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #37
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post

Pretty much a perfect example of how these things can happen. It's been culturally ingrained into us to stick up for your wife/girlfriend and a lot of agro is caused because of this. To walk away you feel less of a man in some situations.
Old 22-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #38
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people just take it way too far and drink for drinking sake and they get that ****ed that it doesn't take a hell of a lot to get them agro.

I remember a few years back these blokes were drunk and high as hell that were giving my mate and I some grief in a carpark.

He got punched in the head as well as had his car trashed and another bloke tried to intimidate me into giving up my wallet and phone. I just told him to get stuffed.

They were just lucky we were sober and we knew we would cause serious damage if we were to fight back. And we were lucky they were little grubs who couldn't punch to save their life.

It could have easily been one of those situations that turn out very bad. One of the reasons I avoid the city as much as possible. More fun having a BBQ and beers with mates at home.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #39
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kudos to Danny Green for having the class to do this off his own back. Pity some of our elected officials don't have anything but self interest at heart.
Old 23-01-2014, 02:03 AM   #40
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Anyone who does boxing / Muay Thai / MMA and respects the sports would'nt sprout off in public that they are a fighter.. Anyone who has stepped into the ring knows respect and discpline. Those that big note themselves generally are idiots who have never had a competitve fight.
To be honest I don't have a problem with MMA per se, my issue is with its regular airing on TV.
Ask yourself why a bloke would be running around Sydney banging on about being a MMA fighter?
Because he knows that regular people recognise MMA fighters as those crazy dudes who punch, kick, wrestle, elbow, knee, choke their opponents into submission in a cage.
And why do people have that opinion, because they see it on TV.

And people who see and believe that, are intimidated by people like him.

And that fuels his ego.

Its probably one rung up the ladder from c.ock or dog fighting, and only because of the tap out.
If that gets people off then fair enough, but the mentality it breeds is totally unwanted in society.

Before MMA became popular you rarely saw someone running around claiming to be a boxer or a ninja...

We live in the greatest Country in the world with ample opportunities. With so much to be grateful for, why are people so angry...?
Drugs, Alcohol...why would you spend money on a substance that makes you feel crap and are likely to get you into trouble.

Wake up Australia FFS!

Im not even going for the flame suit, go for your lives.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 07:05 AM   #41
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Anyone who does boxing / Muay Thai / MMA and respects the sports would'nt sprout off in public that they are a fighter.. Anyone who has stepped into the ring knows respect and discpline. Those that big note themselves generally are idiots who have never had a competitve fight.
Actually there's been a famous Australian boxer who did exactly that and fairly recently too. He offered to take on all the bouncers......

Alcohol removes the 'stop' sign from our behaviour.

More than ever body image is a fixation with young men and women to the point where the males are getting into steroids etc and becoming gym junkies.

Combine that attitude with alcohol, night, other males strutting around and some attractive women and you have a lethal combination
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #42
jamies

Everyones entitled to there own opinion, I have been involved in the sport for a long time and now help train fighters, the gym I train and help out at, the owners who hold multiple world titles, they are very strict on behavour outside our gym. If any disrespect is shown to the public, instant ban, never to comeback. If you understand the sport and actually meet REAL pro fighters they are all respectful.. You say a well known boxer has done this well, I can't speak for all idiots.. only the champions I know.
Old 23-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #43
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Basically, if you haven't had enough to drink by midnight, you should really have a long hard look at yourself...do pubs and clubs really "need" to be open until 3am or 5am...?
Combine that with the ridiculous modern trend of not actually going out for the evening until 10pm or later, and you have a recipe for problems.

I also believe, as with the VLAD laws here in QLD, that laws already exist to control the alcohol problem somewhat. Laws state that intoxicated people aren't to be served any more alcohol. Sure they aren't...
As long as you can stagger to the bar and get your wallet out, you WILL be served more booze, absolutely guarantee it. When was the last time anyone saw someone in a pub/club being refused service? Not very bloody often. One of our sons did his RSA ticket, and had a short stint as a part timer in a pub. On one very busy night he was taken aside by the publican and warned severely that he was refusing to serve too many people. When my son said "But they're obviously drunk...we're not supposed to...", and that was as far as he got before being strongly told "We're here to make bloody money, not preach to people...keep serving until they can't get to the bar anymore!".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #44
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Basically, if you haven't had enough to drink by midnight, you should really have a long hard look at yourself...do pubs and clubs really "need" to be open until 3am or 5am...?
Combine that with the ridiculous modern trend of not actually going out for the evening until 10pm or later, and you have a recipe for problems.

I also believe, as with the VLAD laws here in QLD, that laws already exist to control the alcohol problem somewhat. Laws state that intoxicated people aren't to be served any more alcohol. Sure they aren't...
As long as you can stagger to the bar and get your wallet out, you WILL be served more booze, absolutely guarantee it. When was the last time anyone saw someone in a pub/club being refused service? Not very bloody often. One of our sons did his RSA ticket, and had a short stint as a part timer in a pub. On one very busy night he was taken aside by the publican and warned severely that he was refusing to serve too many people. When my son said "But they're obviously drunk...we're not supposed to...", and that was as far as he got before being strongly told "We're here to make bloody money, not preach to people...keep serving until they can't get to the bar anymore!".

Wasn't that latest guy that killed someone turfed from the club for being drunk?

I don't think that restricting trading hours will do any good at all. If anything it will concentrate people's drinking. When they know the place is closing they will make sure they get a good skinfull before last drinks.

I remember working with some French and Belgium guys in the early 90s. They were pretty amazed at our culture to get absolutely shitfaced in the shortest time possible.

I think our problems are attitude and culture. Not trading hours.
Old 23-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #45
BHDOGS
Banned

About time the government attacked the real problem in society of alcohol how many billions do we have to waste on this pathetic problem before something is done.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #46
jaysway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad View Post
Kudos to Danny Green for having the class to do this off his own back. Pity some of our elected officials don't have anything but self interest at heart.
Some of? I think you will find its most of..
But for some reason we keep voting for them..
jaysway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #47
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post

I don't think that restricting trading hours will do any good at all. If anything it will concentrate people's drinking.
This is true. Last hour before closing time people will just start sculling drinks, then walk out onto the street wasted like they did when Pubs shut at 6pm, in the 1950/60`s?

The Project
73 XB GS Fairmont Coupe K-Code.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #48
karj
XY Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

Adelaide implemented a 3am lockout policy on Hindley Street last October and a story on Channel 7 news yesterday reported that one club owner has gone out of business because 35% of his total revenue was generated in the last few hours of the night.
Old 23-01-2014, 11:03 PM   #49
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where to start with all this? This thread could go 100 pages and we still wouldn't be done. However, at 41 years of age, I've done my share of pubs and late nights on the town, many of which involved me drinking a good deal more than I should have, with many countless hangovers to prove it. Those days are now pretty much gone except for the odd foray for a sneaky pint or two.

One thing sticks with me though.......maybe I'm blessed, but never during those long nights did I have the sudden desire to belt somebody. If I accidentally bumped into somebody, I'd say "sorry mate". And life would go on. Similarly, I never had the overwhelming urge to rob a taxi driver, expose myself to random women, scream obscenities in the street, throw Jim Beam cans into somebody's front yard, deface public or private property, or any combination or variation of the above which we all seem to read about on a daily basis. In fact, with a few too many under the belt, by biggest problem is that I'd normally fall asleep in the cab and have to fork out an extra $20 to get home.

What's my point? Well, I reckon that all this talk about alcohol-fuelled voilence is just an excuse. Ditto for the drugs. Or the weed. Or whatever fashionable substance happens to be in vogue at the minute. Sorry, but the dude who beats somebody to a pulp after 10 schooners was always a bad nut BEFORE he had the beers in question. You simply cannot tell me that a perfectly adjusted individual suiddenly goes off tap just because he's had a few cans. Absolute rubbish. When you cut it & dice it, alcohol in particular just shows people for who they REALLY are. Put simply, if you're a garden variety nimrod after a few drinks, there's a 99.9% chance that you are one irrespective of how many beers you've had. Its all too easy to pass the buck.......oh the booze made me do it. I call bull to that. You're just a very ordinary dude to begin with. Period.

I read an interesting article in one of the papers recently. On a similar note to this thread, it talked of the drugged-up, steriod abusing culture of the gym junkie thug who likes smashing people and then boasting about it. The article made the point that as little as 10-15 years ago such a person would only have had the opportunity to pose in front of a mirror, but now they have social media. Twitter, facebook, Instagram, you name it. A haven for misguided imbeciles to self indulge in their perverted sense of self importance. All the click of a mouse away. And this technology has become available in such a relatively short period of time, I honestly believe its too much for the IQ's of many people to handle. So many ways and methods of advertising how fully buffed they are and hot they are for the laaaaadies. Sensory overload for these guys, many of which are barely down from the trees in terms of intellect. And now they have all this at their disposal. Now, similar to my point above, I'm not saying that these guys turn into rotten apples simply due to Facebook, but social media does seem to have created an subculture that encourages such behaviour, usually shared by other of similarly minimal intellect.

Begs the question whether this is in the same stream as the increasing practice of filming tragedies & disasters on mobile phones. Show me a motor accident, disaster, or similar, and I'll show you 1,000 versions of it filmed on personal media devices and uploaded to YouTube before the ambos arrive. People would rather film somebody burn to death in a car wreck than actually put their damned phone down and help. If presented with such a situation, the last thing I would be doing is wondering how I capture the scene in glorious HD streaming video. Sorry, but I just don't get it.

Don't know the answer to all this. Probably never will. I just feel so badly for those families who receive a phonecall in the middle of the night advising that their son/daughter/dad/counsin/mate has been put into a coma by somebody that they probably never knew, or never met.

Rant over.

Brent.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #50
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in my day "It's a Knockout" was played a lot differently - it consisted of silly obstacle courses, and for some reason there were a couple of hot chicks with an Old English Sheep Dog.

Also back in my day, if I spilled a drink on someone I could generally get away with it with one of two responses...spill a drink on a bloke and I would apologise and offer to buy them a drink; spill a drink on a girl and I would apologise and offer to take them home and get them out of those wet clothes.

From what I hear it seems to have changed these days though - depending on who copped the drink you may be hard pressed to even begin an apology before they have taken a swing...but the worst bit is that there are some that don't need any provocation to take a swing - they don't need a reason, they just need a victim.

Thankfully these morons are in the minority and not all teens and 20-somethings are like that - but sadly there are still far too many of them out there.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #51
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Where to start with all this? This thread could go 100 pages and we still wouldn't be done. However, at 41 years of age, I've done my share of pubs and late nights on the town, many of which involved me drinking a good deal more than I should have, with many countless hangovers to prove it. Those days are now pretty much gone except for the odd foray for a sneaky pint or two.

One thing sticks with me though.......maybe I'm blessed, but never during those long nights did I have the sudden desire to belt somebody. If I accidentally bumped into somebody, I'd say "sorry mate". And life would go on. Similarly, I never had the overwhelming urge to rob a taxi driver, expose myself to random women, scream obscenities in the street, throw Jim Beam cans into somebody's front yard, deface public or private property, or any combination or variation of the above which we all seem to read about on a daily basis. In fact, with a few too many under the belt, by biggest problem is that I'd normally fall asleep in the cab and have to fork out an extra $20 to get home.

What's my point? Well, I reckon that all this talk about alcohol-fuelled voilence is just an excuse. Ditto for the drugs. Or the weed. Or whatever fashionable substance happens to be in vogue at the minute. Sorry, but the dude who beats somebody to a pulp after 10 schooners was always a bad nut BEFORE he had the beers in question. You simply cannot tell me that a perfectly adjusted individual suiddenly goes off tap just because he's had a few cans. Absolute rubbish. When you cut it & dice it, alcohol in particular just shows people for who they REALLY are. Put simply, if you're a garden variety nimrod after a few drinks, there's a 99.9% chance that you are one irrespective of how many beers you've had. Its all too easy to pass the buck.......oh the booze made me do it. I call bull to that. You're just a very ordinary dude to begin with. Period.

I read an interesting article in one of the papers recently. On a similar note to this thread, it talked of the drugged-up, steriod abusing culture of the gym junkie thug who likes smashing people and then boasting about it. The article made the point that as little as 10-15 years ago such a person would only have had the opportunity to pose in front of a mirror, but now they have social media. Twitter, facebook, Instagram, you name it. A haven for misguided imbeciles to self indulge in their perverted sense of self importance. All the click of a mouse away. And this technology has become available in such a relatively short period of time, I honestly believe its too much for the IQ's of many people to handle. So many ways and methods of advertising how fully buffed they are and hot they are for the laaaaadies. Sensory overload for these guys, many of which are barely down from the trees in terms of intellect. And now they have all this at their disposal. Now, similar to my point above, I'm not saying that these guys turn into rotten apples simply due to Facebook, but social media does seem to have created an subculture that encourages such behaviour, usually shared by other of similarly minimal intellect.

Begs the question whether this is in the same stream as the increasing practice of filming tragedies & disasters on mobile phones. Show me a motor accident, disaster, or similar, and I'll show you 1,000 versions of it filmed on personal media devices and uploaded to YouTube before the ambos arrive. People would rather film somebody burn to death in a car wreck than actually put their damned phone down and help. If presented with such a situation, the last thing I would be doing is wondering how I capture the scene in glorious HD streaming video. Sorry, but I just don't get it.

Don't know the answer to all this. Probably never will. I just feel so badly for those families who receive a phonecall in the middle of the night advising that their son/daughter/dad/counsin/mate has been put into a coma by somebody that they probably never knew, or never met.

Rant over.

Brent.
Well said mate, I'm also 41 and had my fair share of nights out. And I sorter remember doing things for fun or thought it was funny at the time. But never had the desire to get into a fight, unless I was hit first. I used to bounce in clubs in and around Brisbane. I used to see a lot of fights over pool tables and drinks getting spilled. Most of the time we could sort it out and not have to throw them out. But there were always ones that wouldn't listen to reason, so we would throw them out on their ears. It dose make a difference who bumps into these heroes, as if it's someone that looks harmless they want to start a fight. But if it was a big mean looking bloke, it be it's alright mate. Used to see this so many times and have a laugh to myself.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post