Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 21-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
ckwsparky58
Starter Motor

Default Fiesta 2002-2008

Hi Guys, new to the Forum, but I've searched through a few threads, to do with Fiestas.
Out of frustration, for information, I purchased a month ago, an online Manual. This type takes you into the Ford Service site, and you can punch in the VIN of your car, and up comes the info etc.
I've been hunting down oil changing info, including for the gearbox for the Fiesta, and quote the FORD SERVICE Tech Info "The gearbox has no drain plug, as it never needs to be changed".
Experience with my sadly departed and missed, XR8 Tickford Ute, showed me that FORD's attitude to gearbox servicing, is not correct. My Ute had never had a service in it's first 80K of life, and the gearbox died on me at about 100Ks. The Auto guy, who rebuilt the 'box, said it was this belief, that no services were required, created a lot of work for him.
Back in the 70s (yes, an old fart), the gearboxes were serviced once a year, and maintained, and you normally got 160Ks plus before repairs were done, autos or manuals. Just a few thoughts,
Enjoy the drive. Chris W

ckwsparky58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
zabatron

Default Re: Fiesta 2002-2008

Manual gearbox oil can be changed quite easily on these cars.Yes,they have no drain plug,but you can drain out most of the gearbox oil by unscrewing and removing the selector interlock(make sure gear lever is in neutral position when you unscrew it).Selector interlock is silver,hex head bolt below black,allen head fill plug.You need to apply sealant to thread of selector interlock before refitting.I have done this twice on my WQ Fiesta Xr4.As for Fords claim that the gearbox is filled for life,i do not believe this as oil,like anything else,does wear out over time.
Not sure how to change oil on automatic cars as I have never owned one.
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
ckwsparky58
Starter Motor

Thanks for that extra input Zabatron. I did look at that bolt, and wonder if it could be used.
I misquoted the Ford Tech Manual. It actually said : " Never needs to be serviced". I agree with you whole heartedly, everything mechanical needs some sort of servicing. I guess Ford ( and other manufacturers) hope that we trade in our vehicles every couple of years, for the latest. What a difference new synthetic gearbox oil has made to the shift, and noise of the 'box.
Thanks for the feedback - Chris W
Old 23-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
zabatron

No worries...what brand and spec of gear oil did you use?
Old 24-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
ckwsparky58
Starter Motor

Zab, I used a Penrite Synthetic, 75/90, and I added some Accell Plus, which helps with wear, in gearboxes and diffs, and engines.
C
Old 29-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
zabatron

what is cold shifting like with that oil?
Old 29-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
ckwsparky58
Starter Motor

Zab, the shift has become smooth and accurate, even cold, not clunky and difficult to shift, like it was, before the oil change. The gearbox has become quieter overall.
Chris