Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
JD86
DELANY

Default Roof racks for bikes on an FG

Hi guys,

I posted this in the FG section but didn't get much of a response so thought I'd try here.

I own an FG XR6T and I'm a cyclist.

I'm after advice and feedback of the brands of roof racks and bike accessories available. I want the roof racks to be the most practical but also look 'sporty'. I have seen many roof racks look like a grandpa car if that makes sense lol.

If anyone has and advice or feedback, maybe if anyone could post some pictures of what they are using it would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Old 14-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Default Re: Roof racks for bikes on an FG

One word..........THULE for bike carriers.

As for roof racks, sorry, can't help you there.

http://www.thule.com.au/bike-carriers
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
reinman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My suggestion would be getting a tow bar (that way it's sporty and practical) and a bike rack to fit your tow bar. That's what I do, except I made myself a custom bike rack for my MTB.

Reinmans BF MKII XR6 Sedan
- SOLD

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11403549

reinman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
Nashy86

I agree with reinman, I've got an FG Turbo and made a custom bikerack for my mtb, but it would carry any type of adult sized.

I have the heavy duty hayman reece towbar, so its easy to install/remove with the pin then just need 1 socket to tighten the bolt that pins it in place, takes about 1 minute to fit onto the car, and about 2 minutes to put my bike onto the rack.

I looked around for roof racks a while ago (when i had a bf) but couldn't find anything that didn't ruin the look of the car.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you looking for roof mount instead of towbar?
Most people think its too hard to install/remove them but even with the light duty towbar it can be turned into a 1 man 1 spanner job that takes 2 minutes.
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Nashy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
reinman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy86 View Post
I agree with reinman, I've got an FG Turbo and made a custom bikerack for my mtb, but it would carry any type of adult sized.

I have the heavy duty hayman reece towbar, so its easy to install/remove with the pin then just need 1 socket to tighten the bolt that pins it in place, takes about 1 minute to fit onto the car, and about 2 minutes to put my bike onto the rack.

I looked around for roof racks a while ago (when i had a bf) but couldn't find anything that didn't ruin the look of the car.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you looking for roof mount instead of towbar?
Most people think its too hard to install/remove them but even with the light duty towbar it can be turned into a 1 man 1 spanner job that takes 2 minutes.
That's exactly what I was thinking, nothing like roof racks to wreck the appearance of a nice sleek car. I had easy access to everything needed to make my bike rack. I made a H piece which is attached to my tow ball and then my rack drops into it, I can padlock it together to keep it nice and secure. I used google sketch up to get my design together and then all it cost me was $60 for electrics and a carton of jacks and cola which was for material, welding and paint. I did the drilling and lights install myself. Here's a couple quick photos.

Raw product after welding still needed to cut the upright supports down a little and drill some holes.

Powder coated, lights, padding and strap all fitted.

All loaded up with bike on the rack and rack on the car.

I only designed it to carry two bikes, which it does perfectly. They haven't ever touched and haven't ever looked like coming off, best thing is it takes less than a minute to load up/ unload the bikes.

Hope that gives you some ideas of what can be achieved. If you like my design, I'm more than happy to share it, just send me a PM and ill send you the design with angles, measurements and description of how it all works.

- SOLD

Old 15-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Roof racks are not the best solution ...

http://www.isi-carriers.com/
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

What sort of bike?

I have road bikes and MTB, I have Genuine ford roof racks and fitted with http://www.thule.com.au/thule-proride-591

for my carbon roadbike, I feel it is better to mount the bike on this rather than hanging it from it's frame on a towbar style carrier

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2013, 02:12 AM   #8
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
What sort of bike?

I have road bikes and MTB, I have Genuine ford roof racks and fitted with http://www.thule.com.au/thule-proride-591

for my carbon roadbike, I feel it is better to mount the bike on this rather than hanging it from it's frame on a towbar style carrier
Not all tow bar carriers mount from the frame - good ones have wheel cradles and no pressure is applied to bike frame.

Attachment 78874

Last edited by SumoDog68; 27-07-2013 at 06:27 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
bArNsY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
What sort of bike?

My Mrs got this style fitted to her Fiesta, lock on roof racks and lock on the arm that supports the bike.

A word of warning, make sure you know the height of your car with the bike rack on.....many accidents happen when people go through drive-though and underground car parks
2004 BA MkII XR6 Turbo

2009 G6E Turbo (277.2rwkw @ Tuned at Bullet Performance Racing)
2007 Audi S5 4.2L V8 manual (Supersprint exhaust, MMI 3G+ retrofit)

The New: 2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium Petrol RWD (With Sync 3 Upgrade)

Other Road Toys

Silver Surfer
2014 S-Works Roubaix SL4 road bike with Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheelset

The Adventurer!
2023 TREK Domane SL 7 AXS Gen 4
bArNsY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

something that some might not be aware of is in vic it is illegal to have a bike carrier on the towbar if there is no bike on it

Old 15-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
JD86
DELANY

thanks guys, I will look into the thule bike carriers, they look great

A lot of people seem to prefer the bike racks, theres a few reasons why they aren't for me the main one being I also want to carry kayaks and surfboards on the roof racks. I should have mentions that in the original post. The car also doesn't have a tow bar and is expensive to fit.

So back to the roof racks, what do people think? I'd like some photos if anyone has some fitted, as I have seen some which look 'sporty' and and some which look 'grandpa' haha. I don't want to go to the shop and get them all fitted. And I might buy online so I need to see them on a car.

I've never had any roof racks. Can people give me any feedback in general? Are they hard to fit, or potentially damage the car?
Old 15-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do not want my opinions to appear I'm knocking the tow bar style carriers as I have that style on my Super Pursuit but do not carry my race bike on that one.

Roof racks are very noisey and the height issue is something you will need to remember when parking or going into carparks etc. I'm about to do a 1200 klm trip and have removed the roof racks because of the noise but will refit when I get home so can give you pics then of them fitted to a G6ET

Old 15-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
JD86
DELANY

thanks a lot ratter that would be great

someone asked about the type of bike - I have a road bike, not MTB, and I'll be carrying my bike and my mates bike most of the time

thanks
Old 15-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #14
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD86 View Post
Can people give me any feedback in general? Are they hard to fit, or potentially damage the car?
Below is a photo of showing damage and subsequent corrosion on a BA roof edge caused by fitting a roof rack, posted in AFF about 5 years ago. The FG has a different design door/roof, however if any distortion of the metal bodywork occurs or paint is damaged when fitting roof bars, the damaged paint will then cause rusting later on.

Personally I wouldn't have roof racks on my car for this reason.

Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #15
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The FG uses an insulated bracket that grips the roof edge and the rack bases have rubber pads on them, I also applied some clear contact where the racks sit to help stop any marks etc

This user likes this post:
Old 18-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
JD86
DELANY

thanks again guys,

anyone have photos of any roof racks on their car for me? I'm looking at the thule roof racks now. They seem pretty good. Anyone got any feedback?
Old 18-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #17
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

happy with my Thule bike racks attached to the genuine roof rack

Old 20-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #18
kevvy101
Starter Motor

Reinman, that is an awesome bike rack
kevvy101 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #19
reinman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevvy101 View Post
Reinman, that is an awesome bike rack
Thanks Kevvy101, it was a project that I wanted to do and it worked out really well, I could have made a better design (but I rushed the manufacturing, to get it done in less than a week, for a biking weekend). I'm still extremely happy with it, it's held the bikes comfortably on the rack over some bumpy terrain at 110km/h with ease, I can vouch for how well it works, I've put full faith on it, I strap my $4000 Remedy 8 onto it each weekend alongside my mates $3500 Reign and we have never had a problem, it works perfectly.

IMO it's the best bike rack I've ever had, no chance of damaging the frames, but still very secure and so easy to use.

I'm going to modify the hitch design to fit onto my new car (shouldn't be very hard) that way I can carry my bike securely with either car the XR6 Wagon or the XR6 Sedan, depending which is available at the time.

- SOLD