Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should the purchase price of a new Aussie car be deductable?
Yes, I want my tax to help the car industry so this would help my buy a new car 35 61.40%
Yes but it will not affect me personally as I buy commercially and/or used 10 17.54%
No, there must be a level playing field for all manufacturers 2 3.51%
No, it would be unfair to those who don't want to buy new cars 10 17.54%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14-07-2013, 01:53 AM   #31
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Private vehicle tax deduction, a hypothetical

I think Australians VALUE Australian made, but as a whole are not prepared to put any value ON it.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 02:18 AM   #32
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Fascinating concept. Such an idea could still save Holden and Toyota but I think it's time to accept that Ford Australia is gone.
I don't think much can be done to save Australian vehicle manufacturing now, it's just a matter of time before Holden announce the inevitable. Toyota may stick around a bit longer.
Old 14-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #33
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So why support the car industry over any other Australian industry, with this type of proposal?
What are the 'local content' measures; jobs, dollars....., Who decides; the same bureaucrats / politicians that have created the current mess?
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842 View Post
So why support the car industry over any other Australian industry, with this type of proposal?
What are the 'local content' measures; jobs, dollars....., Who decides; the same bureaucrats / politicians that have created the current mess?
It's not really the fault of politicians, it's more to do with the insistence of the greater buying public
to access lower cost cars, the push to reduce government assistance to the local car industry is
purely a byproduct of increased buyer focus on imported products.

The reason why Ford and Holden chose large car in the first place was that they originally offered
substantial profit that could cover the cost of local manufacturing but that has been steadily eroded
over the last 20-30 years. The current XR6 can be had for similar price as 18 years ago and where
imported vehicles now have scales of economy to contain those costs, local manufacturers don't.

So there's only two choices, manufacture subsidised products or go broke selling loss makers.

Last edited by jpd80; 14-07-2013 at 11:30 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #35
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte View Post
You seem to be under the illusion Australia operates on a true free market. It doesn't.
We're the only country with close to zero (if not zero) percentage tariffs,.and we're the only country that doesn't properly subsidise vehicle development.
We're on an uneven playing field and we're certainly not part of a free market.
of course we are. it's just we're the ONLY ones that do it, every other country protects their own industries.