Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2013, 03:26 AM   #31
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Re: Ford shutdown of manufacturing in Oz

Lol love the defeatism why not just end it all now jump of a cliff seriously people cheer up
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #32
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuyper View Post
it'll be much worse than Europe because Europe still know how to make things .

Gucci bags made in China.......many Lols
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just about every single store you go into has product from China or Bangladesh,thailand, etc ,etc, and very little if at all Australian made product,....................... these days you rarely even see made in japan any more unless it is a car or an electronic device.
it's upsetting when products we had here ........made here for decades ...................are now completely gone and made elsewhere, .....................Australians should be pro active and asking questions .......WHY??? why can't our car makers make a single dollar on any manufactured car built here by Australians for Australians????
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #34
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
just about every single store you go into has product from China or Bangladesh,thailand, etc ,etc, and very little if at all Australian made product,....................... these days you rarely even see made in japan any more unless it is a car or an electronic device.
it's upsetting when products we had here ........made here for decades ...................are now completely gone and made elsewhere, .....................Australians should be pro active and asking questions .......WHY??? why can't our car makers make a single dollar on any manufactured car built here by Australians for Australians????
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE !
Costs here are just too high, Australian workers demand high pay and all the benefits but the consumer still wants to pay as little as possible.

These big companies have huge overheads, a multitude of people to pay and still need to turn a decent profit to stay in business. When the choice is paying top dollar to sell low volume at low profit or make more profit by paying workers less in other countries.

For better or worse Australia has priced itself out of the market with the cost of everything here constantly going sky high. Hell the yanks generally pay half what we do, average income is less but it evens out. An American based company trying to do business here will always find it tricky, even an Aussie based company wanting max profit will struggle.

The move to a more global market place has been a factor as well. Long gone are the bad old days where everyone was "stay out of my country", "locals only", etc. redneck attitude the world over. In a global market place with more competition Aussie made struggles.

You cant blame it on Aussie politicians either, no government in the world is perfect or even good, every problem facing Aussie politics exists in every single other democracy in the world.

Add to that geographically speaking Australia is in the middle of but **** nowhere. All the wheeling and dealing is done in America, Japan, Germany, England. all on the other side of the world.

Last edited by UberKnee; 28-06-2013 at 10:36 PM.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #35
Bossxr8
Peter Car

And to top it off the government is negotiating a free trade agreement with Japan, just to screw the auto industry even harder. Idiots.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2013, 01:18 AM   #36
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
Costs here are just too high, Australian workers demand high pay and all the benefits but the consumer still wants to pay as little as possible.

These big companies have huge overheads, a multitude of people to pay and still need to turn a decent profit to stay in business. When the choice is paying top dollar to sell low volume at low profit or make more profit by paying workers less in other countries.

For better or worse Australia has priced itself out of the market with the cost of everything here constantly going sky high. Hell the yanks generally pay half what we do, average income is less but it evens out. An American based company trying to do business here will always find it tricky, even an Aussie based company wanting max profit will struggle.

The move to a more global market place has been a factor as well. Long gone are the bad old days where everyone was "stay out of my country", "locals only", etc. redneck attitude the world over. In a global market place with more competition Aussie made struggles.

You cant blame it on Aussie politicians ?????? are you sure about that ?????, no government in the world is perfect or even good, every problem facing Aussie politics exists in every single other democracy in the world.

Add to that geographically speaking Australia is in the middle of but **** nowhere. All the wheeling and dealing is done in America, Japan, Germany, England. all on the other side of the world.
lets add a very interesting you tube title......... look again !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGSG...65F430BBD497FE
Old 29-06-2013, 02:11 AM   #37
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
lets add a very interesting you tube title......... look again !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGSG...65F430BBD497FE
That sort of thing happens everywhere, in every government. Politicians who only care about keeping their jobs/election and ignore the big picture isn't a uniquely Australian thing.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #38
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
And to top it off the government is negotiating a free trade agreement with Japan, just to screw the auto industry even harder. Idiots.
The funny part of that is that Japan itself is now way too expensive to do the manufacturing so are outsourcing all the manufacturing themselves to their plants in Thailand and India themselves...... Japan were once the manufacturing powerhouse due to their lower costs etc. but now are victims of their own success as their society now has such high living standards etc. off the back of their time of being cheap, that they are now completely priced out of manufacturing just about anything. They still innovate, but the heavy industry is all but gone overseas already, and what hasn't already gone, is in the process of going....
Old 29-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #39
William
XF Owner

Thumbs up Re: Ford shutdown of manufacturing in Oz

It will be all good ! it just means we are going to get fords from America ! which is great because that means we will get lots more models and series But then the car you will be driving is not Australian built which is a bit sad :(
Old 29-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #40
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
That sort of thing happens everywhere, in every government. Politicians who only care about keeping their jobs/election and ignore the big picture isn't a uniquely Australian thing.
I don't know if you watched the other 2 parts of that clip, this is very concerning to me, considerable shifty business happening to our detriment.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #41
ken1939

I can agree that the end of manufacturing in Oz is dishartening. I cannot believe that cost to import the raw materials in is higher than that of Japan. As mentioned location location location, so I understand that part.

I also believe that based on what I have read on the subject and some of the comments here, there is no will by Ford to do so. They will obviously get the cost to ship the vehicles to Oz out of the sticker price. I am still amazed at a F350 going for over $100,000 there, considering I would not pay $60,000 for one here. I would prefer to buy a house or property for that kind of money. The lack of will by Ford to do so is amazing, but the will to stay in the market sends a seperate message to me.

I do not know the situation on the ground enough to comment on the Government "offers" to keep the doors open. Something that I think is never a need, its like public funded pro sports stadiums. The NFL makes pleanty, they should be able to build their own playgrounds.

In our case its GM, Government Motors. One of the most shady handouts I have seen in my lifetime. The old saying from 1953, whats good for GM is good for the country. Well auto manufacturing is not the large part of our economy as it use to be. With imports even being built here, it has changed that dynamic.

We had industry in Pittsburgh for many years, it ended quickly. Its taken almost 35 years for another industry to take hold. I hope that is not the same situation in Oz.
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #42
westy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar View Post
60's had massive industry protection.
Your $35,000 Falcon would probably cost $50,000 without the competition to drive down prices.
Double edged sword.
Keep industry here with industry protection, but be prepared to pay higher prices because of labour and material costs compared to overseas.
Everyone wants to pay the least they can, and I'm no different, but we are seeing the effects of what is now a global market for everything.
It's a fantasy world you live. Look how well we are doing being globalised. NEarly all manufacturing has left our shores. You are happy about it ?
Obviously not Australian because we don't have to be sheep. Other countries stand up for their protectionism and so should we. We have so much weatlh in resources and people smarts yet we don't seem smart enough to see the erosion of this country to nothing but a people and import dumping ground.

If I have to pay more for having Australian made so what. At least our industries will thrive unlike what's happening now. This is exactly the attitude that has killed off farming as well. Oh well just import because I want cheap bananas or whatever. F@k that. I would rather pay for Australian bananas and shove your imported bananas right up your A#$!. That goes for all other imports where we can manufacture them just fine right here !! Just need some politicians with some balls and some courage to actually do something right for US ! Stuff globalism and the other countries we deserve to be actually prospering and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. Rant Rant Rant......deep breath now taken.
westy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #43
westy73

Also I meant to add, if there was certainty about manufacturing in Australia don't you think there would be other companies in Australia who would pop up making our local products competitive and therefore benefiting us locally in the hip pocket. The problem with globalism is that we are shutting down local companies and moving them offshore for what end game ?? It hurts us in the long run as the value adding has been removed and eventually economically all money will be sent off shore therefore hurting us further. We think we are being smart buying imported but in the end we are shooting ourselves in the foot and end up creating nothing. Great vision. Wake up Australia.
westy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: