Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #31
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dud Battery chargers?

Had my projecta for 10 years and it works fine so from personal experiance I wouldn't dump on them.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #32
OLDBLOKE

I have a projecta PROCHARGE 21amp charger and it is very good.Cost $120.00 ON SPECIAL FROM SUPERCHEAP.
OLDBLOKE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #33
66 coupe
around the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I have a very flat (but not “dead”) battery that I am trying to charge.
Pulled out my trusty old Projecta that I have had forever, and strted charging it up. Checked back in a few hours and the charger is dead as a dodo.
Pulled out a Arlec I had, it too stated fine and died within an hour. Oh well, old chargers.
Went out and bought a couple of newies. Projecta 4300, and something from Malz called an “Icanic.”
Tried the Malz one, it lasted all of 5 minutes.
The new projecta seemed to be going ok, but left it on several hours (its automatic) charger is now dead and battery worse than ever.

Even had me checking to make sure it’s a 12V battery, and that I had +ve and –ve around the right way.

These have all been 4~6 amp chargers. Should I be going with something bigger?
If the battery has dropped a couple of cells, could that be destroying the chargers? I can’t see how, but FMD FOUR chargers???
Well it seems to me you've eliminated the chargers as the cause, are you sure the power point is working correctly??

As stated above a lot of auto chargers will not charge a dead flat battery unless you bring the voltage across the terminals over 6-9v so you do generally need to jump another battery across the flat one to get the charger to start up.