Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
CONGO MILLENNIUM

Default CAI for AU VCT Fairlane

I consider 8.5 L/100 klm on a country cruise in my Fairlane VCT6 is good for a large heavy car.
I'm hoping that modding the CAI could improve the economy and throttle response. A horse power increase is secondary over economy for me as the Tickford VCT 6 is spirited enough for me.
From what i have read the way to keep it looking factory which is the way i want it to look is--

1, Replace the standard snorkel with a larger mouth unit. There are some for sale on ebay. My preference would be a Tickford snorkel having a Tickford motor but they don't come up for sale very often.
Question: are all the large FORD,TICKFORD snorkels to suit AU models the same size or is there a large then an extra large size? I'm not sure of the size in mm's.

2, Replace the induction tube and flexible pipe with one from a BA Barra 6 as the induction pipe from the throttle body has a more constant curve and larger diameter giving an improved air flow.
Also the ventilation pipe from the back of the rocker cover has to be lengthened or replaced and connected to the new BA connection point.
Question: what size is the diameter of the rubber vent pipe?

3, modify the outlet hole of the air box lid to receive a 75mm pipe to allow connection of the flexible pipe.

4, install a high flow air filter.

5, Question: I read where someone drilled a hole(s) through the bottom of the air box and metal panel directly under, I think it was 70mm holes?
Any info on hole location and bennifit if any?
One more thing turbo lower induction snorkels could also be used but i think only in BA/BF air boxes.

So if anyone has done these mods or any advise, different methods etc.
Plenty of pictures would be very helpful.
Cheers

CONGO MILLENNIUM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
robbyj
Rob

Default Re: CAI for AU VCT Fairlane

Go to ford and ask for a ba xr6t snorkel, that is larger then your stock one and fits exactly the same.
They are about $35 from memory.

A few people have used stainless exhaust pipe to replace the induction tubing.

For me i just got the xr6t snorkel, cut the front of the air box out and put a pod filter in there.

But really doing all this isn't going to make a noticeable difference. Your CIA should be complimented with some new headers and new exhaust system.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Here's some links to get you started Congo -

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11372869

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11388693

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Assuming that you want better fuel economy for cheap driving....put it on Gas!