Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-12-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
Falcon Freak
Banned

Default Ford Meteor TV advertisement from the 1980s

Nostalgia buffs click here

FF

Last edited by Falcon Freak; 28-12-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 03:21 PM   #2
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

I am just about to throw up.........quick someone get me a glass of Mellow Yellow.
Old 28-12-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh kill me now... :
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
XRated
Shoot.

Zip zip, room-room-room! Meteorrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

LMFAO!!!!!!!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 03:48 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Still a laser with a boot...

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big ad , little return
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The folks got one after they had a charger. Wasn't in the driveway for very long. Mum called it a sardine can.

The ad was disturbing.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 05:33 PM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at the futuristic styling and that state of the art 4 speed MANUAL transmission!
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 05:36 PM   #9
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

So THATS where Mazda got thier zoom zoom ad campaign from!

LOL at the meteor
Old 28-12-2005, 05:44 PM   #10
gmhdriver
Banned

Doesn't work for me, I've got sound but no picture. I can tell from the sound though that it's going to be mediocre..
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 06:35 PM   #11
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
Doesn't work for me, I've got sound but no picture. I can tell from the sound though that it's going to be mediocre..
You guys never see the picture......

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2005, 06:08 PM   #12
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Holy Crap that takes me back
I had a twin carb green one.
It was a great little car.
Did many a trip to the snow.
Uncle Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2005, 07:27 AM   #13
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

I too owned one of these powerhouses. Traded it in after the 4th motor and the floor started rusting out. Flogged the living you know what out of it. Good fun. I loved the fact they were so light it was really easy to get 'em up on two wheels through roundabouts! I actually fitted a homemade cai to mine (after seeing some of the set ups on the old touring cars), everyone laughed and said "that stuff doesn't work", now every man and his dog has one....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha what a classic advertisment. the people looking impressed as it pulled up was good acting
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2005, 12:40 PM   #15
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Not politically correct, would not get a run nowadays days.

Strike One: The sung words 'its as smooth as a honey' coincides with the female blond. This is sexist and demeaning! (Or is 'smooth' actually rude-as a...)?

Strike two: "Zip zip just look at that zip" - this means speed, not looking good at all.

Strike three: "It's got the get up and go to go with it" - This promotes street drag racing and hoonish behaviour.

Strike three continues with the ad highlighting 'the room' to go with it, this means aforesaid drag racing hoons and speed freaks from Strike two can load-up on board, the result is usually a multiple fatal as the car is wrapped around a pole.

If on the other hand, they showed a pair of women, whom are partners, with their 2 year old toddler in a baby chair and panned momentarily to the speedometer whilst its at 40km/h AND showed them driving gently around town, then it'll get past the censors. For appropriate speed performance we could show the same couple and kid on a freeway, we could have them pan to the speedometer showing 90-100km/h, whilst another shot shows them driving in the middle-lane of said freeway.

This is good, 'safe driving' as certain socioligists and Victorian & SA based academic road safety 'experts' would have us drive. This is the way we are they'll say-this ads 'good and wholesome', conform conform conform.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 30-12-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2005, 12:55 PM   #16
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft

Strike One: The sung words 'its as smooth as a honey' coincides with the female blond. This is sexist and demeaning! (Or is 'smooth' actually rude-as a...)?

Strike two: "Zip zip just look at that zip" - this means speed, not looking good at all.

Strike three: "It's got the get up and go to go with it" - This promotes street drag racing and hoonish behaviour.

Strike three continues with the ad highlighting 'the room' to go with it, this means aforesaid drag racing hoons and speed freaks from Strike two can load-up on board, the result is usually a multiple fatal as the car is wrapped around a pole.

If on the other hand, they showed a pair of women, whom are partners, with their 2 year old toddler in a baby chair and panned momentarily to the speedometer whilst its at 40km/h AND showed them driving gently around town, then it'll get past the censors. For appropriate speed performance we could show the same couple and kid on a freeway, we could have them pan to the speedometer showing 90-100km/h, whilst another shot shows them driving in the middle-lane of said freeway.

This is good, 'safe driving' as certain socioligists and Victorian & SA based academic road safety 'experts' would have us drive. This is the way we are they'll say-this ads 'good and wholesome', conform conform conform.

Its funny coz its true... :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2005, 01:11 PM   #17
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Its funny coz its true... :
Yep, take this link to the next video, Mitsubishi Colt, issue of trouser Zips as shown could be taken by some brainwaves as promotion of sexual assault and other sexual mis-behaviours, and also relates in the ad to 'speed' performance. This might mean 'speedsters' are potential rapists but we'll need much more yearly govenment money to do a 5 year study into the matters raised, so another no pass for the 2005 ad censors:
http://members.westnet.com.au/shanevi/videos/Ad07.avi

It also contains has a cute lady - another reason to ban.

I like this one, it makes me puke, sorry not car related but the bloke looks like some car salesfolk I've seen in my time and is sheer bad taste eeewwww:
http://members.westnet.com.au/shanevi/videos/Ad03.avi
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 30-12-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 30-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #18
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:

Are you for real? We're talking about a Meteor here. How can you possibly associate the words speed, hoons and drag racing with a Meteor? : :
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2005, 04:11 PM   #19
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Hmm, here's a quandry.

Ford Meteor

or

Your Meaty Ford?

Pfft, as long as they've a jap import E5T in them, they're OK.

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #20
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Maybe Ford should have contracted Mellow Yellow to do an add with a Meteor belting in reverse behind a truck with a guy hanging out the boot so he could launch himself in mid-air and steal some cold cans of the stuff for himself.

The current Motor magazine highlighted this hypocracy in the Jan06 issue - that if you're advertising a car you have to be shown to be safe, but if you're advertising anything else with a car, the car can do anything it jolly well pleases.....

Quote:

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2005, 04:16 PM   #21
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
Are you for real? We're talking about a Meteor here. How can you possibly associate the words speed, hoons and drag racing with a Meteor? : :
Sweet Jesus!

Now look, the Ford Meteor is capable of exceeding 110km/h easily. We know full well that any speed above 122km/h will cause a car to instantly burst into flames, the fireball of which will consume all those unfortunate enough to be in the car at that instant!

We must stop any car advertisment that in anyway shows acceleration performance or high speed or that contains sexual sterotyping such as the assumption that being hetrosexual 'is typical' of Australia.

Back to training camp for you:-)
Old 30-12-2005, 04:42 PM   #22
TuMor
its not a!

The Ford Meteor had no doors.
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post