Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Getting a car licence in QLD

Hi guys,

I need to go to the motor office or whatever it is called in Brisbane and get a car drivers licence, i.e. fill in a form and present ID etc.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the actual licence? Is it the same day if approved? I need it for Tuesday and will go in on Monday.

I have been up here for more than 3 months so apparently my Vic licence means nothing now which I didn't even think about until today just after I booked a driving holiday (haven't been driving since I moved up here)...

Cheers
Craig

stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Default Re: Getting a car licence in QLD

they give you a piece of paper as a temporary license on the spot
Old 23-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are you living in Brisbane now or on an extended holiday? if on a holiday but intending to return home and maintain a residence in your state your Vic licence is still valid but if you are living permanently in QLD you are not licenced after 3 months there

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR View Post
they give you a piece of paper as a temporary license on the spot
Phew thats a relief! Thanks heaps!
Old 23-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
are you living in Brisbane now or on an extended holiday? if on a holiday but intending to return home and maintain a residence in your state your Vic licence is still valid but if you are living permanently in QLD you are not licenced after 3 months there
I guess I am living here as I changed my Electoral Enrollment... thanks for the info though.
Old 23-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/...e-drivers.aspx

About half way down the page you'll find the info.

Here's the form you've got to fill out to give you an idea of what details you'll have to fill in: http://www.support.transport.qld.gov...e/F3000_ES.pdf Before I deal with any form from the govt I like to download a copy and do a dummy run to get it right the first time, then take it and copy the details to their form. They may accept a filled out downloaded form - I don't know. Expect to spend up to an hour in there. I try to get there around opening time.

Cheers mate, and welcome to QLD.

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I lived there I went into the registry with my NSW licence which they punched a hole in. They then took my photo and handed my QLD licence to me about 5 minutes later, same as they do in NSW. Not even an eyesight test.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
JimStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773 View Post
When I lived there I went into the registry with my NSW licence which they punched a hole in. They then took my photo and handed my QLD licence to me about 5 minutes later, same as they do in NSW. Not even an eyesight test.

Chipped "Smart" licences now in force in QLD (looks a bit like a credit card with a mug shot) - will be posted to you. They will give you a letter to present to the constabulry if challenged until you receive your new licence as Cfour said.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #9
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, yes you are correct. I filled in the form on my PC got there when they opened showed them the required ID got my pic taken and can use the paper receipt as my licence until the real one is sent to me. Didn't have to pay anything as I had to surrender my Victorian licence and the balance of the time remaining on it was transferred to my new QLD licence. So now I can drive the car that I have hired for the next week!!!

The whole process probably took ten minutes after waiting five minutes to be served.

Thanks everyone.
Craig
Old 25-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Well that's a shock! No fees! I would've thought that you couldn't xfer the $'s credit and remaining years from your Victorian licence - if I didn't read it here I wouldn't believe it.

If the bureauocracy gets wind of this, there'll be hell to pay.

Yay for common sense!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post