Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
MAD
Petro-sexual

Default Speed zone rethink - VIC

Spotted this today in the paper and almost fell off my chair.... something that makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald Sun
Speed zone rethink
Liam Houlihan
23dec05

SPEED limit buffer zones around country towns and urban fringes would be dropped under plans before the State Government.

Hundreds of 80km/h zones would be raised to 100km/h.

And controversial 40km/h zones outside schools would be restricted to daylight hours, according to plans seen by the Herald Sun.

The proposed changes follow public anger over the slowing of traffic in Melbourne and confusion over the maze of different speed zones around the state.

Speed limits on some roads change as many as 10 times in a 6km stretch.

The government's Speed Limits Advisory Group has recommended changes to approaches to towns and built-up areas where motorists are required to slow from 100km/h to 80 to 60.

The plan proposes they continue at 100km/h until they hit the 60km/h zone.

New "60 AHEAD" signs would replace the old 80km/h signs.

The changes would mirror the system in place in New South Wales.

They would be put into place from late next year if approved by Transport Minister Peter Batchelor.

Mr Batchelor, who commissioned the speed limit review, is still considering the recommendations, his spokeswoman said.

RACV public policy manager Ken Ogden, a member of the review group, said the changes would dramatically cut the Government's speed camera revenue.

He said motorists were tired of being fined when the speed limits were complex and confusing.

"It's important to get the public back on side. The public attitude is that it's all entrapment. It's just gone completely crazy," he said.

Under the changes, permanent 40km/h limits at many school zones would only apply during school hours.

Super-sized 40km/h signs would be erected at some schools and speed limits painted on roads.

A source said the changes would cost more than $40 million.

A government website states community concern as the reason for the speed limit review.

"Why are they being reviewed? It is vital that all speed zones are safe, effective and easily understood. The community has expressed some concern about some aspects of speed zones," the site says.

Premier Steve Bracks has previously said concerns had been raised that frequent changes in speed zones could cause confusion.
Old 23-12-2005, 09:12 PM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can only hope.....but what's the downside??

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 09:29 PM   #3
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Alot of those are very realistic issues i ahve dicks speeding in my street all the time its a 50kms zone and they are doing 100kms+ do it somewhere where you cant harm annoying its called a drag strip guys its so dangerous we have little children either side of our house!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 09:56 PM   #4
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't reckoin they're gonna happen. I hope I am wrong, as it was so annoying driving to tafe over the last two years.

But whatever happens there are always going to be the people who speed and do all the other stuff. Tonight the panel beater across from my in the next street (a matter of meeters) where just ripping it up. One of the morons did a massive power slide into my street missing me as i backed out of my driveway by inches.

The mentality of humans will never stop regardless of what laws are in place. The only thing we can do is try get them all off the road.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 10:11 PM   #5
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

That sms hoon thing seemed to have balled up abit yeah?

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 08:16 PM   #6
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

I'm Labour through and through, but even I have to say this: This news? DUH, the election is next year!
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2005, 11:57 PM   #7
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

A new chance to obtain speeding fines:

1) For those entering the 60 zone doing 90ish (decelerating a little late)
2) For those entering the 100 zone doing 70ish (accelerating a little early)

But having less speed limit changes on stretches of roads will be a good thing. Sometimes I find myself doing 80 in a 60 zone (or vice versa) when the half-dozen or so speed limits begin to get confusing.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

The NSW speed zoning review was initiated by ex Transport Minister Costa and followed a Country Road Summit. Basically it reviews the necessity of having 70km/h and 90km/h zones. This is still progressing.

This Victorian move is mildly different, basically it takes things back to a long time past, which on the face of it is certainly appropriate and will have little if any negative impact on road-safety.

A difference this time round than compared to recent (20-25yr back) practice is that TRANSITION-speed adjustment warning will now be signalled by the newish 5-6 year old "XX Speed Limit Ahead" signs, as shown in Australia Standard 1742.4 of 1999.

A posted speed limit is enforced at its signposted point, not before.

I support the move, it will help remove some inconsistencies, but more needs to be done.

The new proposal could see geater use of the R4-12 End-Speed Limit sign (this is not the derestriction sign) so used where the authority feels it is not warranted to actually post a 100km/h sign owing the road ahead as having certain quality and safety issues. Greater driver onus if you will.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 25-12-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2005, 11:31 PM   #9
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Greater driver onus, good idea in theory, but practically could become an issue.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 10:34 PM   #10
max^power
Formerly au^ute

putting it up and putting it down, will only give people more of a reason to complain about getting fined. fix the stupid limits and then LEAVE THEM LIKE THAT!!!

its election time!! Quick spend the last of the money now to buy a few votes!!!
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2005, 11:23 PM   #11
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^ute
putting it up and putting it down, will only give people more of a reason to complain about getting fined. fix the stupid limits and then LEAVE THEM LIKE THAT!!!

its election time!! Quick spend the last of the money now to buy a few votes!!!
Agree on all parts.
Old 28-12-2005, 07:35 AM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

Yawn.

I'm tired of the changing of speed zones/signs. It does jack for the safety of the roads and just makes it look as though the Politicians are doing something.

Educate all road users, including pedestrians, drivers and riders. It is the only way.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post