Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #31
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Focus has a Fight on its Hands..New Golf Below $20k ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
I'm not talking about assembly but design which is the important thing.
What would Thailand know about steering geometry?
BMW is built in USA X5 so that's not German?
Assembly is as important as design. A good design can be let down by poor assembly. (Er, not speaking as a Territory owner of course!)

I believe there have been a lot of problems with South African assembly for VW.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Going Euro can be fraught with danger as for buying/owning out of warranty that is brave....
Got to disagree, i know of numerous XR5's that are out of warranty. Same could be said of owning a falcon that is in warranty still, but you only hear the bad stories with both cases because the good stories dont rate.

Main reason i didnt purchase a GTi was the service costs and the cost of the options that i wanted.

My partner almost purchased a new Golf but was turned away for the same reasons i was.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #33
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Assembly is as important as design. A good design can be let down by poor assembly. (Er, not speaking as a Territory owner of course!)

I believe there have been a lot of problems with South African assembly for VW.
That applies to all cars not assembled in their 'home' country.
It depends on what % of the oily bits are actually manufactured and assembled in low cost countries.
I don't know of any Thai built Jap cars having problems from their green field sights. The Japs don't take risks with their reputation to the extent that Germans do eg Sth African BMW VW etc.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #34
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I choose cars based on the way they drive rather than what standard features are fitted.
That makes you a motoring enthusiast and one of a minority of new car buyers. Most people can't drive, so how would they know if it drives well? They do pickup on the infotainment stuff and the bling though.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #35
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

The Thai motorcycle plants are putting out some fantastic quality, even in low budget products. And in some ways, plastics and paint, outdoing their Japanese parent company more expensive products...
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #36
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Focus has a Fight on its Hands..New Golf Below $20k ??

Last edited by last fairlane; 01-02-2013 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spelling
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #37
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
That makes you a motoring enthusiast and one of a minority of new car buyers. Most people can't drive, so how would they know if it drives well? They do pickup on the infotainment stuff and the bling though.
I agree.. I have a friend who owns a corolla & wants to buy a new one. I asked him why he likes corollas & the answer was (make sure you are sitting down), he likes the way it drives!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #38
Djrystofer

Thai built cars are quite well made,
Sisters Honda jazz has been around for 2 years nearly & it hasn't had a single problem build quality wise, no rattles no strange sounds.

As for south African, I guess it's what day it's built on
I've got an old e36 Beamer that was assembled in south africa, same deal as the honda jazz except it's 18 years old.

As for the topic - The golf is actually quite a nice car, they look nice & are great fun to drive, but unfortunately if you want to look nice & have all the things you'd expect to be standard, you'd have to start ticking those options

Last edited by Djrystofer; 01-02-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Djrystofer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post