Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 20-12-2005, 12:28 AM   #1
EL_Fairmont

Default WTF is wrong with my car?

I have a MINT condition 1997 EL fairmont... with just on 112,000 kms on the clock.

FULLY serviced every ten thousand k's
The only previous owner... was some company in Burwood victoria.

The car drives like a dream... and is Brand new basically.

When i first got it... i drove it a bit hard... and got 16 litres per 100.

Now... i've driving MEGA CONSERVATIVELY and it still uses 15.5 litres per 100. - even on the highway....

The book says 13 !!!!!!

WTF is wrong ? I had it checked by ultratune and the dealer... they can't find anything wrong?

It's costing me a bloody MINT to run it.... any ideas ? - No gas is NOT an option.

EL_Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 12:33 AM   #2
John_LS1

well, id say just thrash it as it only use half a litre more :P
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 12:35 AM   #3
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Thats sounds a little out i think my eb runs about 12-13 per 100.

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 12:35 AM   #4
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
well, id say just thrash it as it only use half a litre more :P
hahaha thats my excuse and im sticking to it

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 12:37 AM   #5
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are so many things it could be: exhaust, gearbox/convertor, stuffed sensor... the list goes on. I would find a mecahnic who will spend the time sorting it out.

Are these numbers what the trip computer tells you? How many k's do you get out of a tank.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 12:51 AM   #6
Clarke AV
OzECruisers Treasurer

Things it could be Your foot
Clarke AV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 01:11 AM   #7
EL_Fairmont

Quote:
Things it could be Your foot
haha, NO WAY. I have DELIBERATELY avoided touching the accelerator.

Quote:
Are these numbers what the trip computer tells you?
The trip computer tells me 15.5 litres per 100... and I have no idea the last time i had a full tank of petrol in it to measure it.

I'm going to look at the exhuast... although i couldn't find any holes in it last time...... say there were some, how bad could it be affecting it's fuel consumption....3 HOLE litres? i doubt it... but i hope so because a hole in the exhuast sounds a lot less expensive than a gearbox/convertor issue.
Old 20-12-2005, 01:17 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Two things it could be - O2 (HEGO) sensor in the exhaust or faulty MAP sensor. Either one of these not working properly will make the car run rich. The MAP sensor is more likely, but the O2 is easier to diagnose (cos it's easier to get to). Disconnect the plug to the O2 sensor and start, then drive the car. If at idle there is no difference, then that's almost to be expected. If you give it a rev and it coughs, then the sensor is probably working OK. If when you drive it it bogs down when you put the boot in, then the sensor again would be OK. Basically, if it runs the same with the sensor connected or not, then the sensor is not working and needs replacing.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 01:22 AM   #9
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

My 96 EL GLi averages about 14 or so L per 100 kms... and I drive it pretty hard. I don't have a trip computer so I have to use manual calculations and estimations. Have you tried working it out yourself? Fill your tank at dawn, reset your trip meter, drive it till its nearing empty (say when the light comes on) and then fill up again at dawn the following day (fuel is denser when its colder). Find out how much fuel you actually used (by taking into account how much was left in the tank and how big your tank is, should be 68 litres iirc). Then do the math and work out how much it averaged. I'd do that in case your trip computer is a bit bodgy.

Check your tyre pressure, auto fluid levels, etc. Heaps of things! Also, check the condition of the plugs... if its running overly rich then they may be very dark ie covered in carbon deposits. But then if you took it to ultratune and a dealer, chances are they have tested all of the relevant parts and any serious issue would've made itself quite apparent.

One last thing, the mileage that the manufacturer quote and the actual figures are often very different. 15L/100 is not something I would think is unusual, particularly for a Fairmont which is somewhat heavier than the regular Falcon.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 01:23 AM   #10
EL_Fairmont

I've also noticed it's running slightly rough @ idle...

I've just had ultratune do the 110 k service on it.. replacing the air filter ... and all the other regular service woo-haa.

So you think it's one of the sensors? Well that's a start... i'll tell the guys that when i take it down to a (different) mechanic.
Old 20-12-2005, 01:28 AM   #11
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_Fairmont
I'm going to look at the exhuast... although i couldn't find any holes in it last time...... say there were some, how bad could it be affecting it's fuel consumption....3 HOLE litres? i doubt it... but i hope so because a hole in the exhuast sounds a lot less expensive than a gearbox/convertor issue.
Its not holes in the exhaust you have to worry about - you would hear them. Cat's and mufflers can rust out, get blocked up, or the internals can fall apart. Its these sorts of things that create restrictions in the exhaust system and hurt fuel economy. Its only one of many possible causes though.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 01:31 AM   #12
Walkinshaw
Two > One

whens the last time you reset your trip computer?

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 01:33 AM   #13
EL_Fairmont

The last time i filled it up and reset the trip meter to zero... would of been weeks ago and i can't remember the figures.

WHAT I DO remember is that i got 230 kms on just over half a tank (highway trip to phillip island.)... so using the laws of logic that'd mean it'd get 430 ks or so (minus 30 because it was over half) ... on a full tank .. but... it's still using far too much driving around (CONSERVATIVELY) in the day to day traffic.

Chr1st... i'll have it at the mechanics at 8 am tomorrow morning... i'm worried now....
Old 20-12-2005, 01:37 AM   #14
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

What mileage do you do on the first 1/4 tank? I can get anywhere between 120 and 180 on the first quarter tank of the gauge...
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 01:39 AM   #15
EL_Fairmont

It seems... to be... the lower the gauge gets, the more petrol it uses....and no, I don't have the A/C stuck on either!
Old 20-12-2005, 01:53 AM   #16
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

fill your car up and cheek the km done of a full tank and do your maths and get the corrct number the trip computer is and is very inaccuret
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 01:56 AM   #17
EL_Fairmont

Well, thanks guys.. i've got a bit more info now...

I'll drive it till it's dry... and do the maths... and if there's anything sus i'll put it into the mechanic.

Other than the petrol issue....it's a brilliant car.
Old 20-12-2005, 01:59 AM   #18
BELTA
belta kix lsss!

there is proberly nothing wrong with it
Old 20-12-2005, 09:57 AM   #19
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Sounds like a shonky Trip computer to me, Id do what the others are saying and drive it until its nearly empty and then crunch the figures.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #20
niko
likes falcon's

my bro's ef fairmont + full exhaust + wade 112 + auto gets 8-10 on freeway and 13-20+ ocal driving
Old 20-12-2005, 11:15 AM   #21
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

The car should be warming up to just under half way. If not it should be pretty easy to diagnose.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post