Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 28-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
whitetdci

Default TDCi longevity

Has anyone had to do a re build on a 2L TDCi yet . If so why, where, how many Ks on the clock at the time and how much.

whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Batman105E

Default Re: TDCi longevity

The Mondeo runs the same engine as some Peugeot models, do a google search and see if anything shows up there.
Batman105E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetdci
Has anyone had to do a re build on a 2L TDCi yet . If so why, where, how many Ks on the clock at the time and how much.
On a diesel!! its only 5 yrs. old the TDCi model and unless you use it on as a taxi and even then I would be surprised if it needed one why are you asking this out of curiosity

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
whitetdci

My brother in law (who interestingly enough drives a diesel jackeroo....enough said) reckons that the newer diesels have a much shorter life span. I, however, don't really believe this to be so. I would imagine that with better internals, lubricants etc they would be lasting longer. The only question mark would be with the much higher fuel line pressures and the turbo. Hence my interest. My 2009 model has 183k on it atm. Seeing I have onsold my past 2 petrol cars at around 300k and 400k still going strong and with nice even compression (thanks largely to a good maintenance schedule, good oil and of course the nulon additive which I swear by) I would imagine that I would get at least this and probably more out of the TDCi. Or am I, to coin a favourite aussie phrase, "dreamin"?
Old 30-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #5
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Diesel fuel is closer to oil than petrol,so it lubricates the engine,also diesel engines make their torque at much lower rpm than petrol engines so it should produce lower wear and tear on the engine envy BMW 3 Series diesels owners with 8 speed ZF auto which should bring rpm down lower JMHO

apstar
Old 31-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
whitetdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Diesel fuel is closer to oil than petrol,so it lubricates the engine,also diesel engines make their torque at much lower rpm than petrol engines so it should produce lower wear and tear on the engine envy BMW 3 Series diesels owners with 8 speed ZF auto which should bring rpm down lower JMHO

apstar
Yes but they run twice the compression ratio of petrol motors to obtain the compression ignition. Mind you I feel that maintained properly you should see very high mileage out of them. Not sure what my bro in law is basing his information on.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #7
marcusturbo

Here's another one.

Friend at works has a 2010 Prado D4-D with 160k on the clock. Reckons it has had some bad fuel with previous owner. Runs ok but a new set of injectors is $3000!!!! How much for a set for the ford lump??

Also the cost of a new fuel pump is approx $4000.

What he is thinking of doing is selling his Prado and going back a generation of engine to before the common rail and it's very expensive parts. At least with the older stuff you can do a set of injectors with the need for any computer programming and the overall costs are much much lower.

Obviously talking about this stuff & building large diesel's as our job (MTUDDA) there is valid point. More just the case of, what if something breaks, it's a large amount of money to lay out for repairs.

Hopefully are cars are reliable when they start doing the large mileages.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusturbo
Here's another one.

Friend at works has a 2010 Prado D4-D with 160k on the clock. Reckons it has had some bad fuel with previous owner. Runs ok but a new set of injectors is $3000!!!! How much for a set for the ford lump??

Also the cost of a new fuel pump is approx $4000.

What he is thinking of doing is selling his Prado and going back a generation of engine to before the common rail and it's very expensive parts. At least with the older stuff you can do a set of injectors with the need for any computer programming and the overall costs are much much lower.

Obviously talking about this stuff & building large diesel's as our job (MTUDDA) there is valid point. More just the case of, what if something breaks, it's a large amount of money to lay out for repairs.

Hopefully are cars are reliable when they start doing the large mileages.
that reminds me of my trucking days, chewing the fat with a volvo truck owner one day, rebuild kit for the motor reasonably cheap, i can`t remember, maybe 4/6000,........ replacement injector pump $16000 .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

[QUOTE=marcusturbo;4502790]Here's another one.

Friend at works has a 2010 Prado D4-D with 160k on the clock. Reckons it has had some bad fuel with previous owner. Runs ok but a new set of injectors is $3000!!!! QUOTE]

My Bro, a mechanic, has told me of a similar story with a Yoda.

Even in warranty, bad batch of fuel, and had to replace everything which Wasn't covered under warranty.
He'd just paid Upwards of $50K then after 5000km's had to pay another $10K.

He wasn't happy at all but i guess this type of story could happen to anyone.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes some of these diesels are fairly economical until something goes wrong, then it's just painful-
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've blown an injector seal and an injector return line on my TDCI Focus, same engine as the Mondeo in 40,000km, but they were covered under warranty, the most expensive part would have been labour cost as the inlet manifold has to come out to get the injectors out apparently.

The common rail parts are the most expensive, injectors are $920 each from Ford, and I'd hate to think about anything else down the system, but if you look after it and fill up at reputable petrol stations you won't have a problem unless theres a manufacturing defect there and being under multiple thousand PSI it will show up quickly anyways.

I only ever fill up at 2 servos that I trust.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2012, 01:08 AM   #12
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Done 2000km over the past week Sydney to Brisbane return with my MA TDCi got to say it just went like a breeze got 6.1km/100Km over the 2000Km could have turned around and done it again fantastic car average speed over the distance was 86km/h not sure if the average speed cameras are doing cars ? soon find out!

apstar
Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #13
whitetdci

apstar have a look at the chip box for your car. I will be doing a similar trip soon and will let you know what I get out of it. I just did a trip up from Sydney to Newcastle area on the F3 and averaged over 100 kph and returned 4.5L/100K!! Best on a long trip so far has been 4.9L but I have done a small mod since then that has seen my fuel consumption drop even further. I anticipate that I could get down to 4.5 or even lower as it is not as hilly on the Pacific highway and traveling at 100kph is a bit more economical. Stay tuned
Old 06-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah mine was the first 96Kw TDCi engine lugging around a heavy car so the 125Kw engines now would be better for fuel than mine and I had the aircon on all of the time and a lot of road works having me going from 110>100>80>60>40 then back up to 110Km/h once this highway is finished it could be all of the way to Qld at 110Km/h fantastic surface very quite

apstar

Last edited by apstar; 06-11-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
whitetdci

Apstar, I hate to disillusion you but mine is the MA 96KW power plant too. I, along with a few others here, have put in one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Diesel-ch...item27cc70fa4a
It bumps the power up to around 123 kw (claimed) and torque up considerably too, all the while dropping the fuel consumption. This does depend on your right foot but I certainly noticed a great improvement in fuel. There is another small mod that you can do if you are interested. PM me for details on that if you like. On my current tank I have done a trip from Sydney to Newcastle and commuted around for 3 days and am averaging still 5.2L. Normally if it is just a commute tank it is around 5.6L. The mods have already paid for themselves