Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #31
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Rust Prevention

what id realy like for my car is a similar size box that can make my car handle and go faster,couldnt be hard to make?if someone made one of these i would buy one for sure.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #32
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

big landau, i'm sure that would have a bit of a polarising effect on the industry
Old 16-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #33
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
do they still sell the device`s now Pedro?

Sorry about the delay to respond mik. I wasn't going to come back here as talks about this product usually decend into a mire.

To answer your question ... the original company was sold and the name disappeared.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #34
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
We get cars that come in with roo damage, and we always replace the whistles that have been smashed of by the roo lol
i can't believe how dumb roos/wallabies are. dumber than sheep. Driving to Delegate (NSW) I saw a roo at the top of the hill, he bounded down the hill, over the fence and stopped right in the middle of my lane. i swerved and missed him and swerved back to avoid an oncoming car. I don't think anything you can add to your car will stop them getting hit, so best investment is a roo-bar.

As to rust prevention, maybe there's something to have a "plastic not classic" after all.
Old 17-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #35
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
Exactly, like I said above it all comes down to the installation.
These things need to be installed precisely to work properly. In theory they do work, but if let down by poor installation they wont perform.
I reckon some of the ones fitted by dealers and caryards are the worst ones. They use cheap unproven devices and they probably dont even know how to fit them properly. I do understand why they have a bad reputation though because of this.

I fitted mine as preventative maintanence and so far I've been happy. No signs of rust on any of the body work, even where the paint has been chipped.
What brand is yours??

I have considered fitting one of these to my XB as part of the current rebuild.

It always seems to be people that have these fitted that say they work and people who don't have them seem to say with great certainty they don't work.

I never had one and don't have one, but after spending big $$$ on a rebuild I think it's a small price to pay just in case it does something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i can't believe how dumb roos/wallabies are. dumber than sheep.
Amen to that, I deal with them daily, and they seem to love jumping in front of my ARB bull bar, ARB many.....kangaroos zero.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #36
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Coupler-Tec mate.
http://www.couplertec.com/

I'd suggest the 2WD heavy duty system for the big Coupe:
http://www.couplertec.com/index.php?...&Itemid=200012

Have a watch of this aswell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH-cgN1gpao

You dont need to drill any holes though; just use an existing screw hole for the earth wire and heavy-duty double-sided tape to mount the unit.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #37
MattSAU2XR8

I used to have one of these on an old Toyota Corona and although I had my doubts it did seem to help a bit.

It did in fact have some 'sacrificial anodes' that were short aluminium bars which were electrically connected to the unit by wires, and electrically connected to the body by sticking them, with provided porous double sided tape, to the body, after putting a deep scratch in the paint under the tape. The theory seemed to be that electrons could pass from the aluminium bar to the body as the bar was corroded away. For this to work though the bar and tape and scratched body work would need to be damp, which was difficult to rely on with the bars mounted in the engine bay and boot lid recess.

I started a trial which was aborted when a 'mate' wrote the car off.

Someone might like to try this and report back in a year or so with results:
- Get two small pieces of mild steel that has never been in contact with any sort of plating, eg. zinc, or a grinding wheel which has been used on zinc. Eg. 50 by 5 mm flat bar by 7 cms long.
- Sand all surfaces gently so that it is bright metal all over and then degrease it with metho or similar.
- Drill a hole in each to permit it do be attached to a bolt somewhere on the front of the car where it will get wet all the time.
- For the 'test' piece cable bolt it somewhere behind the grille so that it is in the air stream and gets wet, but is well earthed to the body, so theoretically protected.
- For the 'control' piece attach it do the plastic grill directly with a few plastic cable ties so that it is not electrically connected to the body.
- Make sure the 'sacrificial' aluminium plates are mounted somewhere that the can get wet easily, and that there is a good scratch under them so that water can connect them to the body.

If the device works then the piece that is isolated, i.e. attached with cable ties should rust faster than the piece that is electrically connected to the body.

I would certainly be interested to see if anyone has any luck with this.

Matt
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #38
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found an owners guide for an old HK Holden in my pop's shed years ago, and they said to put a little splash of kerosene in the soapy water whenever you wash the car. The water will travel into all the nooks and crannies in the body of the car, carrying the kerosene with it. When the water dries up it will leave an oily film behind, thus helping to prevent rust. Plus, the kerosene helps to get rid of tar and road grime. I have done this with all my cars, plus plenty of fish oil, and have never had a rust problem.
Old 22-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #39
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Sorry about the delay to respond mik. I wasn't going to come back here as talks about this product usually decend into a mire.

To answer your question ... the original company was sold and the name disappeared.
no worries thanks pedro
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #40
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I found an owners guide for an old HK Holden in my pop's shed years ago, and they said to put a little splash of kerosene in the soapy water whenever you wash the car. The water will travel into all the nooks and crannies in the body of the car, carrying the kerosene with it. When the water dries up it will leave an oily film behind, thus helping to prevent rust. Plus, the kerosene helps to get rid of tar and road grime. I have done this with all my cars, plus plenty of fish oil, and have never had a rust problem.
This used to be common practice many years ago, not sure anyone does it these days, but should work nicely!

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #41
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Fitted one to a patrol I had , self fit , all parts must be connected , and need 4 pads at least for a patrol sized car .I had it for 7 years dunking and driving in the salt and beach on a fair regular basis ...end result - rusty bullbar - minor rusty diffs etc ...but the shell itself even stonechips didn't rust ..they work in my view .but don't bother if your not going to use / fit properly , most of those dealers put 1 pad on , dodgy snake oil kinda stuff .
Old 23-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #42
excopau

Won't work as we use this stuff for work and you need a cathode and anode and electrolyte to work, so will only work if u leave car submurged in salt water fully or u got nothign for the unit to work, so the science will show they don't work, so don't waste your money on it, it won't work through isolators like rubber bushes and so on, so can't protect diff's because they are isolated form car with rubber bushes.
excopau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #43
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by excopau
Won't work as we use this stuff for work and you need a cathode and anode and electrolyte to work, so will only work if u leave car submurged in salt water fully or u got nothign for the unit to work, so the science will show they don't work, so don't waste your money on it, it won't work through isolators like rubber bushes and so on, so can't protect diff's because they are isolated form car with rubber bushes.
This may be true if the Electronic Rust Protection device is relying on a sacraficial anode to work. Without being submerged in the electrolyte (water) it wont work.

However, there is another technology that the CouplerTec device uses that is different and works on the theory of creating an excess of (-)tive electrons in the body panels to prevent the oxidisation process.

I know its from their website (and therefore bias) however take a read of this:
http://www.couplertec.com/index.php?...&Itemid=200007

I for one can vouch that it does not not work... as i have no signs of rust after 5 yrs.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #44
Fez WQ

Buy great wall they are all plastic ... I have not see any rust yet
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #45
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra
This may be true if the Electronic Rust Protection device is relying on a sacraficial anode to work. Without being submerged in the electrolyte (water) it wont work.

However, there is another technology that the CouplerTec device uses that is different and works on the theory of creating an excess of (-)tive electrons in the body panels to prevent the oxidisation process.

I know its from their website (and therefore bias) however take a read of this:
http://www.couplertec.com/index.php?...&Itemid=200007

I for one can vouch that it does not not work... as i have no signs of rust after 5 yrs.
As you said It is a theory and nothing more....
To be proven it must have independent test results in which case I have not seen provided by any company that produces or sells these products.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post