Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
adam v
Starter Motor

Unhappy intermitant starting fault

Hi All, my name is Adam and i own a auII forte sedan, it is a soild family car and tows the van well but i m haveing some trouble with and intermitant sarting fault.The car is dual fuel.

Fault - when i turn on the ignition the smart shield hand comes on if it goes out the car starts but idels roughly then it settels down and runs a treat. If the smart shield does not go out but flashes there is nothing when i turn the key to start. If this happens i put the car in N rock it back and forward and the smart shield hand stops flashing - that car starts as above.

What have i had done so far -

replaced the N safety switch (not sure if that is the tech term)tells the car it is in P or N

Replaced the control module (controls the electronics so i was told)

Fuel system clean and service.

In addition in the past 6 months i have had the radiator,power steering pump, alternator replaced.

I am at my wits end with the car and i would love to here from anyone with the same issue or possible soultion. As you can proberbly tell i am not very tech savy with cars is if you can keep it simple that would be great.

Thanks Adam

adam v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Re: intermitant starting fault

Hello Adam and welcome to the forums. I have moved your post to the correct part of the forum, so hopefully someone will be able to help you resolve your issue.

Cheers
Col
Old 14-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

welcome mate, i`m pretty computer illiterate myself(really a points and carby bloke ), but first things i always think about with electricals is do the simple checks first, ones you can do your self, battery terminals/posts clean, earth to the engine ok? battery ok? wiring that`s been tampered with for me is also a worry, i know a mate had problems some years after having lpg fitted, the earths down near the ecu corroded because they did a poor job fitting them up , anyway not saying that`s your problem, do you think the starter may be reaching the end of it`s service life? how many k`s does your Au have on it?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
adam v
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
welcome mate, i`m pretty computer illiterate myself(really a points and carby bloke ), but first things i always think about with electricals is do the simple checks first, ones you can do your self, battery terminals/posts clean, earth to the engine ok? battery ok? wiring that`s been tampered with for me is also a worry, i know a mate had problems some years after having lpg fitted, the earths down near the ecu corroded because they did a poor job fitting them up , anyway not saying that`s your problem, do you think the starter may be reaching the end of it`s service life? how many k`s does your Au have on it?

Hi thanks for the reply, the au has done 160000kms, battery less than 3 mths old, terminals good. do you know where i can find the ecu? What does it look like? i have had the starter tested and it is supose to be ok, should i look at changing it any way?.

Cheers Adam
Old 17-08-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Day-mow
rexnet

ECU is right hand kick panel. its a silver box. it would be pretty hard i assume to test it unless you have the right plug in stuff.
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
ECU is right hand kick panel. its a silver box. it would be pretty hard i assume to test it unless you have the right plug in stuff.
not being a smart *** Day mow, but i`m pretty sure on mine it was behind the passenger side kick panel, are they in different pozzies on different models ?
Old 18-08-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam v

Hi thanks for the reply, the au has done 160000kms, battery less than 3 mths old, terminals good. do you know where i can find the ecu? What does it look like? i have had the starter tested and it is supose to be ok, should i look at changing it any way?.

Cheers Adam
going by my own AU i don`t think your starter will be the problem, ( but you never know ), mines around 205,000 k mark, only electrical thing i have changed other than a battery in 7 years at about 190,000 k`s was the alternator, starter still works fine.
Old 18-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

Sounds like the Smartshield - factory imobiliser - isn't disengaging. I'd suggest rocking the car back and forth is probably not what's fixing it, but rather the vibrations. Perhaps you could try whacking the dash with your hand. I'm not sure with the Smartshield, but with the older Smartlock models the body control module is located above your left knee. I'd imagine it's in the same place for Smartshield....
Was the module replaced with a new or secondhand unit?
Possibly could be the ignition barrel or wires leading from that to the BCM.
Engine computer is located behind the passenger side kick panel, you could check the earth and plug on that but since the Smartshield isn't deactivating I'd be surprised if it helps!
Old 19-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
adam v
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelEF
Sounds like the Smartshield - factory imobiliser - isn't disengaging. I'd suggest rocking the car back and forth is probably not what's fixing it, but rather the vibrations. Perhaps you could try whacking the dash with your hand. I'm not sure with the Smartshield, but with the older Smartlock models the body control module is located above your left knee. I'd imagine it's in the same place for Smartshield....
Was the module replaced with a new or secondhand unit?
Possibly could be the ignition barrel or wires leading from that to the BCM.
Engine computer is located behind the passenger side kick panel, you could check the earth and plug on that but since the Smartshield isn't deactivating I'd be surprised if it helps!
The module was replaced with a new one. but thanks for the ideas - it was behind the pannel by the drivers left knee
Old 19-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

Hrmm ok then, that leans me towards a faulty or worn ignition barrel. Perhaps next time it does it, try giving the steering column a tap or wiggling the key/turning it off and on a few times; if that helps then it's starting to look as if it may be the barrel.