Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Default Interesting comments from the people who run AMCS.

Muscle Car Market.. Have we reached the turning point?

Finding the bottom of the market in any investment category is difficult but judging by the current inquiry levels and sales the market is finally feeling that the bottom has been reached and its time to get back into the market. Perhaps this is a good time to look at buying your dream Aussie Muscle car?

The Muscle car market has certainly been through recent ups and downs. But if you look at the market over the long term, you'd be smiling if you'd bought any Muscle car 30 years ago. Even if you'd bought one 10 years ago you'd still be well and truly in the black.

So given that the trend with Muscle cars has been upwards over the long term, would it not make sense to choose to not follow the crowds and go full speed ahead with the purchase of your chosen ride. Recent sales indicate that some (we believe clever) people are in fact deciding to go against the tide and are buying. All our Phase 3s that were for sale are now gone. A Vitamin C E49 Charger has just been sold. I have very few XYs for sale and one very good untouched Vermillion Fire car just sold for $150,000+. Not too many XWs for sale either. A well priced XR GT sold in one day. And we just can't get enough LX SS Toranas let alone A9Xs or L34s. The Brocks are selling well - especially the VK Grp As. VCs are slim pickings and VHs are gone as soon as they come in. I don't even have a VL Grp A for sale at this stage. And quite a few Walkinshaws have been snapped up so that there are very few on the market.

Good ZC and ZD Fairlanes are rare to find and now pulling good money as are early HQ 350 Statesmans. And early Valiant regals, AP5s and Chrysler by Chryslers very rarely come up and are gone in no time.

As the supply in the market starts to dry up, you will see prices start to firm up. It might not happen over night. But we believe it will happen.

Just think what the price guides said these cars were worth 10 years ago, 20 years ago. And where will they stand in 10 years time?

Picking the best time to get into the market is difficult. But I think all indicators are there to suggest that this might be a good time to indulge your passion for these unique never to be repeated time machines of Aussie motoring history.

And also remember you can buy a collectible car in your super fund as long as you meet certain rules. Check with your accountant or financial advisor for more information.

Good luck with your search and enjoy your Muscle car.

So, what are peoples thoughts on this?? Agree, disagree?? WHY??

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
max_torq
From the Futura

Default Re: Interesting comments from the people who run AMCS.

All of retail has been struggling since 2008 or so, there are tentative indications that people are spending again. At the moment it is still mostly bargain hunters. I'd say it is too early to say the bubble is blowing up again.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit of a spruik for a bubble that is deflating.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

business is slow.. hurry up and buy my cars..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't reckon x dub GT's will get cheaper than now

wish I was in a position to get one.......sigh
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Yeah, agreed... Was talking to a poor sad bloke on Saturday who bought a '70 Dodge Challenger SE at the top of the US market (and near the bottom of the exchange rate), brought it over here and is trying to turn a profit out of it. He was talking up the same line but ultimately he's the same as the person quoted in the original post - Some dude trying to sell a car. If it was a used Micra in a caryard we wouldn't believe them and there's no reason we should believe others any more.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Its written for those, I believe, would be the very few that buy cars as an investment only. Personally its not a reason I would consider when buying one. Its more because of that bit of passion for the car rather than turning a dollar. For those that do buy and sell primarily to make a quick buck, good luck with it but you will get burnt. Those lucky days are over ...... unless you come across that forgotten XY GT sitting in some old blokes shed.

Just buy because of the passion ...... if you make a few dollars when its time to sell, call it a bonus. Buy when you can afford it ..... no right or wrong time

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
hankscorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
Bit of a spruik for a bubble that is deflating.
+1

despite what they say in that article, I see the market still gradually falling/flattening out but there's still a trickle of cars selling.

these blokes (amcs, musclecar stables etc) are very keen to move cars so it's in their interest to try and pump up the market..
can't say I'm a fan of musclecar dealers..and I'm very wary of the descriptions they put on their ads..I've seen at least one case where a car listed as number matching was definitely not..
hankscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the line about the super funds made me laugh. shows they're desperate for sales & willing to subject their customers to attention from the ATO.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the trick here may be is to predict what is going to appreciate in value that is relatively cheap to buy at the moment
we all know the current classicis will always be sort after
perhaps the monaro CV8 R (First one)
I know what you are all thinking but it was the last australian built coupe produced and it was in limited numbers
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I'd sooner get onto a mate in the USA, source a nice early 70s Mustang and import it myself..
Stick a nice Cleveland HO engine in the body it was always meant for..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Just buy because of the passion ...... if you make a few dollars when its time to sell, call it a bonus. Buy when you can afford it ..... no right or wrong time
^^^ This!! Particularly the last sentence. ^^^

The times I've had and the people I've met through having my coupe are priceless!!

AMCS are just trying to talk up the market. They are right to a point, buyers have become much more discerning.

Times are tough and a lot of people have pulled back on their discretionary spending.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agreed

and I am unable to shed a tear for an investor looking to make a buck who lost on his punt

these cars are to be enjoyed. If I ever bought one the last thing on my mind would be getting rid of it again, ever (unless it was to upgrade to a more elusive one, or a better example. In which case you would be buying and selling in the same market anyway)
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Wishful thinking I'm afraid.
Was there ever a Real Estate Agent who thought it was a bad time to sell?
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are some nice American Muscle examples getting around too at a good price. People are getting them cheap in the US who are still hurting and bringing them over to OZ.