Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Ford Ranger and FBT

I had someone mention to me that the Ford Ranger Dual Cabs were FBT exempt because they could carry more than 1T in the tray.

Is this true? And if so, does this also mean that the WildTrack is FBT exempt? The WildTrack appears to be right on the dot of 1T.

If this is the case, I wonder how many people don't yet realise that they could be salary sacrificing a Twin Cab ranger with no FBT side effects? Almost makes me want to get one now.....if only they were built here.

Lukeyson

Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #2
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Default Re: Ford Ranger and FBT

Luke,

http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/con....htm&page=4&H4

list of vehicles eligible for FBT exemption on leases provided u sign a declaration saying youll only use it to go to n from work. Youll see the Wildtrak listed.

It may not be built here, but youre supporting Aus engineering and design jobs coz the Ranger work was carried out here.

The salary sacrificing aspect of this with FBT exemption for anyone sounds awesome. Im in IT and Im considering a Ranger for 2013 or 2014.

By the way, I have a friend at the ATO who says that for FBT purposes they virtually only audit companies, not small fry, i.e individuals. In other words I think u could probably get away with a bit of non work-related travel and noone would know. AFter your lease is up however u can go nuts! :^)
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Mmmm XLT Double Cab Pick Up with 3.2 I-5....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I thought all commercial vehicles were exempt?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only FBT exempt if you use it to drive to and from work or for incidental private use - ie going to the shops around the corner once or so often.

Basically you wouldnt be able to take it on holidays or long trips away. The exemption is for people such as a Telstra employee who drives their work van from jobs to home, basically its a tool of the trade and private use is incidental.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #6
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

The catch being your employer has to sign off on the exemption.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Easy peasy!
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I've seen a few do this. The employer who normally collected the FBT on behalf of the ATO had to be convinced upfront it was a legitimate request for the exemption. Subsequently they took odo declarations as they normally would and calculated the difference between that and anticipated usage given the employees distance to work from home. One ended up paying the FBT. Another quick check was to look at the fuel statements for out of town fills.

I can only assume from the trouble taken there must be some liability on the part of the employer for false declarations? Dunno, tax guys might know better

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also at our company we have used any car without paying FBT. All you need to do is carry some tools of the trade. ie if you need a car fridge to carry something for work and its not practicle to take it our of your car at the end of the day, that way even when you use it for personal use on weekends its 100% work use still. Something like that. Our accountants have it figured out... Doesnt have to be a ute. Although now I have a Triton dual cab.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post