Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
NO2
Old Man

Default Unidentified rattle

My 2007 TDCI has developed a rattle that can't be identified. It sounds a bit like an exhaust burble, constant but slightly erratic. Noticeable from 30km and raises in pitch slightly at around 80km hr and sounds fairly consistent. Volume is around the same as wind noise, and close to the same pitch. At this point:
It is not tyre noise.
It is not bearing noise or CV joints.
Not loose discs (Still there under braking)
Not clutch (Clutch in makes no difference)

Conclusions reached by Ford guy and myself. He is unable to ascertain what it is as he hasn't heard the noise before. His conclusion is that the covers on the wheel nuts are rattling. Feasible ,possibly. So I am throwing it to Focii owners if they experience noise from the wheel nut covers being loose. Also any other suggestions or areas to check on the noise would be appreciated.

NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Unidentified rattle

My LT TDCI has mags as standard so no wheel covers. Could be a loose baffle in a muffler they present more at idle than under throttle.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Turbodiesel
Torquer

What area of the car is it coming from? Inside or outside?

I've had a loose heatshield under the car that was catching the wind at 100km/h.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
NO2
Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
My LT TDCI has mags as standard so no wheel covers. Could be a loose baffle in a muffler they present more at idle than under throttle.
Mine has mags too, the wheel nuts have a chromed cover that can come loose on the wheel nut when a rattle gun is used to remove the wheel.

The noise is outside. The Ford mechanic was bouncing around in the car trying to pinpoint front or back and which side. I have been going over the car taping everything that can be jiggled bounced. The heat shield, exhaust were all checked when it was on the hoist.
Curiouser and curiouser.
NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
prlamb
Starter Motor

Was this ever resolved as it sounds like my problem.

Cheers.
prlamb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm, I'm guessing your catylitic converter honey combe has cracked a bit off, or it has cracked in half....