Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #31
smally289
growing up is optional

Default Re: Technical Holdens

When the current Fords and Holdens are 20 years old they will be a mechanic's nightmare. It will not be financially viable to fix them when they are worth bugger all, unlike cars the same age now which are still relatively easy and cheap to fix.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #32
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

I wonder if the cost of scopes will eventually come down like most things. Does anyone know if snap on have a patent on the Verus/Solus style scopes?

I remember buying my first Kinchrome 40 odd piece tool kit for $300 in the early 90's which would be over $600 in today's money. Now you can pick up a similar set from Bunnings for around $100 to $150.

Even if the scopes do come down in price, it wont send the auto techs broke. I don't reckon too many people will be bothered with it, but for those that do, diagnosing and rectifying problems will be so much easier. Like others have said, you can so most things with a multimetre, but there is a point where you need to look at the wave forms and interaction between sensors to solve something.
Some hope for the home hack!
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #33
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
And yet for all of that, modern cars tend to be a lot more reliable....
While i was at the Ford dealer yesterday, they were cursing a brand new diesel territory and complaining how overly complicated it was. (sitting there with a laptop hooked to it), yearning for the simpler engines of last century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
BMW's, Mercs all have fault warnings for lights (the message tells you exactly what light) and many other things.
better than a single light that says 'get service' or 'check engine'.
Old 28-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #34
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess it's like all those Ipad thingy's and bluetooth whatsits, fly by wire and lots of other "stuff" that we never had when "I was a boy"

you get used to what is around us

my 5 year old granddaughter is well and truly at home with "Mac" our computer and navigates our plasma TV with grace and ease......our surround sound theatre system is a doddle for her

I only learnt how to make these things go a couple of years ago

gotta move with the times or get out of the way......me, I'll sit over here and watch it all go past until I've absolutely got to learn it

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #35
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What good is a scan tool when the HIM module dies on your 15-20yo BA Falcon and you can no longer get a new one. (and second hand ones are impossible to find)
Sure stuff like hoses, brakes, exhaust etc will always be able to be found on the aftermarket, but when it comes to electronics there will be a time you wont be able to get replacements.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #36
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mr hardware "The VT came out in 1997 and only had traction and passengers bag as an option".
Unless you bought an Acclaim which had air, steer, cruise, passenger airbag, abs, traction control, auto off headlights etc, etc. I had one for a while. I thought it was a good ride. Plus the fact that it had no distributor was a bonus for me. Something goes wrong with a coil, throw it over the shoulder and install a new one. Problem solved. But they did have a lot of little electronic thingamajigs which were and are still expensive to replace. I liked the IRS rear suspension with LSD as well.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post