Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-11-2005, 11:48 PM   #1
HLC
Audi S3

Default trouble removing headlight globes...

alright, so im having trouble removing the headlight globes on my car...

im following the instructions in the manual, but it just isnt working. i try and remove the rubber thing and it wants to pull on the spring that is holding the globe in place. and i dont want to put too much tension on it incase i break something... would i be better off pulling the headlights out and wrestling around with them on the work bench?

/stupidest question ever.

Old 16-11-2005, 12:11 AM   #2
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not the stupidest question ever at all, i had trouble trying to get the globes out of my headlights too. I just gave up though hahaha..
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 12:13 AM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Take the headlights out - it's much easier to do it that way. You will bend the spring if you keep pulling the rubber cover off and it doesn't come off easily, and then you have to pull the headlight out to fix it anyway.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 12:15 AM   #4
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

First, remove the wires by pressing on the two tabs on both sides and pulling the plug out.
Second, remove the rubber dust cover by pulling it backwards and off.
Third, remove the spring retaining clip by pressing in and outwards.
Forth, remove the bulb.

It's not that hard at all. I have done both sides on my previous car (AU1 XR8) and current TS50 a few times.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 12:17 AM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012
First, remove the wires by pressing on the two tabs on both sides and pulling the plug out.
Second, remove the rubber dust cover by pulling it backwards and off.
Third, remove the spring retaining clip by pressing in and outwards.
Forth, remove the bulb.

It's not that hard at all. I have done both sides on my AU1 XR8 and TS50 a few times.
how deep in are both tabs? because i could only get my fingers on one and i dont have short fat fingers?

as JC said, ill probably just pull them out maybe? i wanna put a set of those pain in the *** bright white/blue halogen globes in.
Old 16-11-2005, 12:19 AM   #6
romaniac
holla at cha boy

i had trouble too, in the end i went to my mechanic and got him to do it, he took them out in 2mins. I didnt want to stuff anything up as the new globes i put in were phillips diamond vision and they arent cheap at $100 a pair.
romaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 12:26 AM   #7
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Not that deep at all. About 2mm or so.

I don't know why so many of you guys are having trouble with removing the headlight globes on AU's. I don't know.. but it was/is pretty easy for me.

Hmmm.. maybe a write up with photos, an article for aufalcon.com maybe. If I can find some time I might just do that.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 12:28 AM   #8
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012
Not that deep at all. About 2mm or so.

I don't know why so many of you guys are having trouble with removing the headlight globes on AU's. I don't know.. but it was/is pretty easy for me.

Hmmm.. maybe a write up with photos, an article for aufalcon.com maybe. If I can find some time I might just do that.
sounds like a pretty good idea :P
Old 16-11-2005, 07:35 AM   #9
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Replaced one of mine on the weekend, done in 2-3 minutes. HLC, put your finger inside the hole of the dust protector and free the rubber from the clip.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #10
EvilChief
Boost Addict

just pull one of the headlights and have a very close look at how the lock in mechanism works, once you can visualize it, it is very very easy to unhook and remove.

basically as said above:

1. remove the wiring, by pressing the two clip of the plug in and pull off. this can be a little sticky if removed for the first time.
2. pull off the dust cover. it basically just sits there, again its pretty tight. I have found inverting it while pulling it off makes it breeze.
3. use a pair of a needle nose pliers if you have big hands and hold onto the metal bracket that sits inside the headlight. push that carefully in by 2 to 3 mm until u feel it become loose and pull it inwatrds towards the center by about 4 to 5 mm. that should clear the little hook. from there its just a matter of it springing open the the globe basically falling out.

i think i have a diagram somewhere, ill have a look and post it if i find it ...
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 05:44 PM   #11
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2falcons
Replaced one of mine on the weekend, done in 2-3 minutes. HLC, put your finger inside the hole of the dust protector and free the rubber from the clip.
Same here but the drivers side with the battery in the way can be a to get your hands between them. Very easy job.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 05:50 PM   #12
Aussie Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not the easiest job when you first attempt it, but only takes a couple of minutes the second time around. The service book instructions could have been a little better in this area.
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2005, 09:04 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

alright...

im quite positive that my headlight globes have never been changed in my car cause the little clip mechanisms did not unclip easy, and those O-ring dust covers did not make the job any easier. i ended up getting the s and pulling the headlights out so i could replace the parkers as well as the high beams and driving lights. now full of Narva goodness.

but i think my front bar is hanging slighly lower?? where are the tightening bolts to tighten it up again?
Old 27-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #14
Uradox
WA_AU

I had a simular problem that with many attempts I finaly got it. And felt stupid how easy it was heh. But the parkers on the other hand I just cannot get out. It appears to be held in by some plastic thats expanded once its gone into the headlight silver part thus making it impossible to get out. I have spent hours on this stupid :(
Anyone know bout taking these out?
Uradox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uradox
I had a simular problem that with many attempts I finaly got it. And felt stupid how easy it was heh. But the parkers on the other hand I just cannot get out. It appears to be held in by some plastic thats expanded once its gone into the headlight silver part thus making it impossible to get out. I have spent hours on this stupid :(
i ended up taking the whole lights out, and then removing the main globe and sticking my fingers in the hole to pull out and replace the parkers. its a pain in the *** but it did the job.
Old 27-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #16
Uradox
WA_AU

hmm i never thought bout putting finger in the headlight hole to pull out the parker
Thanks il give that a try :P
Old 27-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #17
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ya gotta twist/wiggle em to loosen em up as they are just pushed in, but whilst doing it try this, have 1 knee on the b/bar, tongue firmly out of mouth (pointing west) + 3-4 loud grunting noises & IF you don't skin the knuckles on the Right hand......you ain't done it properly....it is a pr1ck of a job but a sense of humour always helps....
:nutsycuck
Old 27-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #18
Uradox
WA_AU

dam a bit of the plastic just broke off and is now in the stupid headlight assembly....

arg i hate my car now lol
Old 27-11-2005, 09:55 PM   #19
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
dam a bit of the plastic just broke off and is now in the stupid headlight assembly....

arg i hate my car now lol
If you mean a piece of the black parklight housing, it's common, use a plastic magnet to remove it............:
Old 28-11-2005, 01:38 AM   #20
Uradox
WA_AU

yep thats what happened :x
Plastic magnets? never knew u could get those... will look into it tommorow. Meanwhile i still cant get that dam $*(&# parker out!!
Old 28-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #21
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yep thats what happened :x
Plastic magnets? never knew u could get those... will look into it tommorow. Meanwhile i still cant get that dam $*(&# parker out!!
Sorry bud, had to throw that in couldn't resist. I can assure you however, the parklight ***'y is push in, the main problem is getting a grip because the shape of the scoket is such that it's difficult to apply any force which is why I suggest the "twist & pull" method. Keep at it, it'll come.
Old 28-11-2005, 09:06 PM   #22
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i want to do the inside of my lights black but i'm way too paranoid i'm going to wreck something.. :'(
Old 28-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #23
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
i want to do the inside of my lights black but i'm way too paranoid i'm going to wreck something.. :'(
It's safe to say, when it begins to resemble this.......it's been in the oven too long.:evilsasmo (pic was from another forum)

Last edited by The Dok; 28-11-2005 at 09:55 PM.
The Dok is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2005, 10:04 PM   #24
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol you're not making this any easier dok :
Old 28-11-2005, 10:07 PM   #25
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dok
It's safe to say, when it begins to resemble this.......it's been in the oven too long.:evilsasmo (pic was from another forum)
:
Old 28-11-2005, 10:13 PM   #26
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
lol you're not making this any easier dok :
Send a PM to JCXR, he was selling his black bezel headlights that he removed to install the XR lights, twere a while ago but he may still have em, otherwise, PM me if/when you wanna do it & I'll do a pair in advance, then do em as an exchange on std AU price, I usually keep a pair in stock but sold em 2 weeks ago & haven't had time to re-stock.:Up_to_som
Old 29-11-2005, 01:02 AM   #27
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Thanks Dok - I sold mine a couple of weeks ago.

Glenn, if you follow the method on AUFalcon . com, you won't go wrong. I've done 2 sets using this method and the only trouble I've ever had is choosing what colour to paint the bezels. Of course, The_Dok has made a very generous offer that you would be mad to refuse!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post