Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 
Default Buying a Focus for my Dad!

Coming out of a Holden Commodore. Written off due to hail damage here on Xmas day in Melbourne 2011.

We are heading out tomorrow on my RDO to get him a new car... well not new new. But new to him. Looking at spending up to 20k maybe slightly more for the right car.

Colour... not black lol... I've got a black car. Hard to keep clean.

Looking at minimum Zetec with the 2.0L or the TDCI diesel. Auto or manual. He'll decide which one he likes when we drive both.

Anyone got anything else to add to this that we should be looking out for or particular model that is good etc.

Thanks!

Jack

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Buying a Focus for my Dad!

You'll get more bang for buck, model-wise, with the previous LT or LV models than the new LW. I'd also imagine the number of dash buttons on the LW might be a distraction for your dad? Some people like the extra "tech-y" stuff, though.

You can pick up an LW manual Ambiente (base model) for $19,990 driveaway at the moment, but be aware it's only a 1.6L. This might be powerful enough for your father's needs.

You should be able to pick up a low-ish mileage manual LV Zetec for $20k. You'd need a bit more for the diesel and/or auto. If you go to an LT (previous model) then you might be able to get a diesel for your price limit.

The petrol auto on the older models is a 4 speed, which is outdated (but generally reliable). And some people don't like the low-speed jerkiness of the 6-speed DSG auto on the new petrol (and I believe older model diesels as well). Depends what he likes or is looking for, I guess.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

Champion post mate!

I think as he is coming out of V6 commodore then the 1.6 just won't suffice. He is going to have to wring it's neck to get it going. He is no real car enthusiast but is actually listening me on this one

He originally was after TDCI but he is 65 and doesn't really want to have gloves to wear when filling the car up etc... I know, I know. He also thinks servicing is going to be expensive as well.

All the techy stuff just isn't required either. He doesn't have a mobile phone, so bluetooth, BT media player or any of that stuff just isn't required. I'm just trying to get him in to the best car I can for the money. We have also looked at i30, Mazda 3... he doesn't like the styling. Focus is where he is heading. Do Ford do an old school version of the big block no option car in the focus?

The only option he is really looking for is electric windows... I reckon he'll like the auto more just for ease of driving really. If this car does more than 10k a year I will provide the world with a million $ per person. It really is going to end up being one of those 'old lady drive to church' jobs.

Thanks again.

Jack

2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Old 29-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Coming out of a 6 cylinder car, it'd have to be diesel, or don't bother because regardless everything else will feel like crap that you have to rev the crap out of it unless he gets an XR5.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno. I came out of an auto 4.1 EF Falcon, and I only notice the difference when I really go for it in the auto 2L petrol. Then again, the EF was just about shot, so I doubt it was using all of its original kilowatts...

If OP's dad wants the dumb, low tech version of a Focus, then he can get away with an LX or even a CL version of LT/LV. My CL has hardly any features, with front power windows about the size of it. The LX comes with full power windows and cruise control. The Zetec has a little bit more, but be aware that it has sports (= slightly hard) suspension and lower profile (also = harder ride) tyres.

Here's a search for you. Price $15-20k, max 20,000km. Plenty of choice, even if you break down into whatever state you're looking for.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...11&sort=~Price

Last edited by In Focus; 29-01-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 29-01-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Thanks again lads.

He doesn't use cruise control...

Doesn't trust it. WTF. Can't talk him around either... even if I point out to him the reason why no one on the freeway can do the same speed is because they are like him and don't trust their cruise control haha!

That is why I put in do they do a base model TDCI or base model 2.0 option?

Jack

2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Old 29-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LT/LV base model petrol = CL.

Base model diesel = TDCI (but equal to petrol LX in spec ie the variant above the base model).

Old 30-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
bad moon rising
Banned

my choice would either be a lv focus or hyundai i30.
both are wonderfully reliable and would make a great daily.
id be tempted to go for a petrol model in either just because there are so many more to chose from so you can get 1 in excellent condition with the colour and options you want etc.
although if he is sentimental the gentle rattle of a diesel would probulbly remind him of a holden v6 lol
good luck.
bad moon rising is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
josem

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
And some people don't like the low-speed jerkiness of the 6-speed DSG auto on the new petrol (and I believe older model diesels as well).
I drive a new Focus with the 6 speed auto and I have not noticed any of the low speed jerkiness. It is super smooth and you cannot detect the shift changes by feel or by ear (maybe I am not sensitive). The only way I know it shifts is by looking at the tachometer when the needle suddenly drops. I have read about the auto jerkiness issue but mostly from american made focus. I was specifically looking for this issue when I test drove a focus and the salesperson said he was not aware of anny issues from aussie focus (of course he is expected to say that !).
josem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Thanks for the help boys!

We looked today, Dad actually like the Fiesta current shape 2012 plated CL. So it's the base model but still has plenty of stuff in it that Dad won't use haha...

Brand spanking new in Silver with 5 speed manual. $16,150 on the road. I was put on to a guy at Bayford in Coburg by John at Herrod.

Basically sat down with us, had the wholesale price list with him and what was available. The easiest and best by a mile car buying experience I've ever heard or seen. Absolutely brilliant.

2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness