Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
v8kermit
Starter Motor

Question Fog Light Switch 2003 V8 Ghia

Hi does anyone know how to turn fog lights on in a 4/2003 Ghia. User Manual says there is a "switch near the instrument panel to the left of the steering wheel" we have NO switch. Anyone else out there with a 4/2003 Ghia who can help. Thanks

v8kermit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fog Light Switch 2003 V8 Ghia

Hi, welcome to the forums.

They are either 'position lamps' they come on when you put the headlights on or are 'cornering lamps' they light up individually when you have the headlights on and put the indicator on. The reason it could be either in your case is because Ford made a running change to the BA turning those lights from position lamps to cornering lamps.

The Ghias did not have foglights, I hope this helps!!
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Aussie.Battler
Starter Motor

Weren't they supposed to be fog lamps but they contravened an ADR (to low to the ground)?
Aussie.Battler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie.Battler
Weren't they supposed to be fog lamps but they contravened an ADR (to low to the ground)?

It was odd, they were always sold as 'position lamps' they would come on with the headlights whether you wanted them to or not, they were too dull to be fog lamps but did contravene some ADR as I think they were considered to be fog lights and fog lights have to be individually switched on to pass ADRs...? I think that was the story.

To be honest I dont know why they didnt give the Ghias proper foglights. all the wiring and switch and control panel icons were there for the XR range
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Fog Light Switch 2003 V8 Ghia

Hi weve got a 2003 Ghia six cylinder
and there is no extra switch for the fog/driving/turning lights
if you have the lights on and use the blinkers they come on
not flashing but constant on the side you are turning
they sort of light up the road a bit
good for when you turn into your drive way at night
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Originally fog lights.
No go by ADR.
Existing ones changed to indicator lamps at a Ford Dealer.
Any new ones released as indicator lamps.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ford TSB states them as originally being decorative lights...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
nb_351
building the xe...

I heard also that they got too hot when on constantly as a fog light too which was melting the housings, whether this is true or not I'm unsure
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #9
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

"Decorative Lamps" . Were equipped with a wedge type, 5 watt Hella Cool Blue bulb.

Two issues;
No ADR existed for the function "DECORATIVE LAMP".
Under ADR we had an issue of "GROUPING".

The car basically had four front parkers (sidelights-position), this impacted the ability to legally install say front fog lamps, a driving lamp kit, even DRL's.

DOTARS Trade Compliance, on complaint from nagged Ministers, had Ford stop further installation.

Fords response was to modify the lamp by upping power to 21watts, and making it a cornering lamp function.

I expect in the design phase, someone intended to have complianced front fogs, but perhaps cost stopped that.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
"Decorative Lamps" . Were equipped with a wedge type, 5 watt Hella Cool Blue bulb.

Two issues;
No ADR existed for the function "DECORATIVE LAMP".
Under ADR we had an issue of "GROUPING".

The car basically had four front parkers (sidelights-position), this impacted the ability to legally install say front fog lamps, a driving lamp kit, even DRL's.

DOTARS Trade Compliance, on complaint from nagged Ministers, had Ford stop further installation.

Fords response was to modify the lamp by upping power to 21watts, and making it a cornering lamp function.

I expect in the design phase, someone intended to have complianced front fogs, but perhaps cost stopped that.
Its funny the new Territory Titaniums have a simliar light now, but no park light in the main unit!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie.Battler
shouldn't fog lights be mounted low to 'cut under the fog'?