Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
emanon82
Starter Motor

Talking My '03 Focus

About 3 months ago I bought my first focus (pov pack 1.8L). It was love a first drive. I didn't realise they were so much fun!! Now wishing I bought one years ago. Since then I've been looking at what I can do to make it even more fun. After making a list of what needs to be done, I finally pulled my finger out and started looking at a K&N pod.

After looking at the short ram kits available from K&N I couldn't find one anywhere in Aus. It was going to have to be imported from the UK and was going to set me back around $500. I wasn't too happy with the price so I just went down to Autobarn with a mate and got the filter. The bloke who sold it to us said we were going to have to buy an adapter plate but that sounded like too much work.

So we just got the pod filter which set me back about $130. Got back to my mates place and was surprised to find the thing clamped straight onto the air flow sensor. All in all about 2 seconds work and it sounds great!!

Here a crap pic of the final outcome.

Next to come will be exhaust...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00086-20110115-1243.jpg (74.5 KB, 56 views)
emanon82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #2
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Congrats on your purchase and glad you love your Mk1 Focus.

With suspension upgrades from the ST170 (like what I and a few other's on the Forums have done) Focus or Eibach they're even more fun to drive.

Is suspension changes on your List?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
emanon82
Starter Motor

Sure is mate!! Along with a set of 17"
Old 18-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Welcome aboard Emanon.

The LR Focus is a great car.

I always like the fact that it's distinct shapes and bodylines were as the designers intended...before it was "blanded" down a little (don't shoot me here guys) in the LS to make it more appealing for a broader market.

There is lots of knowledge about the LR on here, much learnt from trial and error and the occasional expensive mistake.

So feel free to ask the "dumb" questions as they are often the most important ones.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
melbzetec

Also....hard to tell from the pic, but it appears that you've retained the bottom of the airbox and the cold air feed that runs into it?

If so, good move. Retaining the cold air feed into the pod.

You might think about fabricating an aluminium sheet to run from the rear fuse box to where your battery is (with a semi circle cut out for the hose prior to the MAF) with maybe even a rubber strip on top to sit flush with the bonnet, to create a heat shield to prevent hot air from the engine feeding into the air intake
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 19-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
emanon82
Starter Motor

Thanks melbzetec,

I'm sure I'll have a multitude of questions over the next few months.

Yes I have retainted the cold air feed. I like the idea of the heat shield as well. Will be looking into that.
Old 19-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
Talldude

Welcome!

The heat shield for the air intake is important, you actually lose power if an engine is sucking in hot air.

As for suspension upgrades the cheapest is getting ST170 or SVT (American model of the ST170) suspension, I have done that and it is easy to do. Or go the eibach set which makes the car sit lower.

Definitely get the shocks and springs together as a whole package way worth it.

For the 1.8 engine changing the cam will give you 15hp more! easy and cheap to do. But I can't remember which cam.

There are heaps of upgrades!
With ST170 Suspension all round, ST170 Snorkel, K&N air filter, 2.0 Auto Air deflector, MSD Ignition coils and high amp leads. (In red adds at least 5bhp!) Also Under pulley kit. Refreshed ST170 wheels now!
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
emanon82
Starter Motor

Thanks for the advice dude!! I haven't looked too far into the suspension yet but will certainly be checking out the ST170 ket.

I haven't thought about the cam yet, would it be worth upgrading the breaks as well?
Old 19-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
melbzetec

Brake upgrades are an expensive and complicated exercise in the LR Focus.

We can certainly head you in the right direction, but you're talking big dollars for a full on upgrade. (You have to swap out the front brake knuckles for a start and find rare as hens teeth ST170 replacements....... a big topic)

I'd stick with a good set of pads at this point

Old 19-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #10
emanon82
Starter Motor

Ah ok no worries, thanks mate