Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 11-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
someon3
Starter Motor

Default WS or WT

Hi guys

This's probably a stupid question, what's the currently available newest Fez(Fiesta?) from our local dealer?

I'm totally confused by all the acronym WS,WT, Mk7 ... I LOVE to BUY one of the new Fez hence my research into the car available from dealer.

Can someone shed some light into all of this please.

Thanks

someon3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WS and WT are the model codes. The WT is the latest, released in October last year. WS is the previous, superseded model, which first appeared early 2009 from memory, though one of the Fiesta guys will confirm that. In theory, a WS should be cheaper than a WT, even if new, because it's a superseded model.

I'm not sure what the Mk 7 represents, unless it's the 7th complete new Fiesta model since they were first introduced to the market??

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.

Last edited by In Focus; 11-01-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Changed date
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
someon3
Starter Motor

Thanks again for the quick reply. I was assumming Mk7 as mark 7 from reading various tidbit info from various website. And is mark 7 equals the current lastest generation of 2010 Fez? Probably not.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Focus hit the nail on the head. The WS Fiesta was launched in Australia on January the 1st 2009. The WT Fiesta was launched late last year. However, the current range topper (The Zetec spec) is still a WS model as the new WT Zetec will not launch until March, with dealers getting stock towards the end of the month I'm told. The ECOnetic also will continue to come from Germany as a WS model.

The WS came (comes) from Germany, with the new WT being built in Thailand. The Thai spec models are built bloody well though. What model you looking at mate?

Ford is phasing out the 'MK7' and even the 'WS/WT' like badges on their Euro cars (in Europe at least) in favour of the now common place MY10 (Model Year then insert year). The MK7 is indeed the seventh major upgrade, that was released in Europe late 2008 as the WS model.

That's a mouthful and a half!?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
someon3
Starter Motor

You've got an impressive source of information Danny. I'm eyeing up the 5 doors Fiesta LX manual , Zetec is out of my budget ATM and I better stay away from any performance inspired car, given my impulsive behaviour.

I really like the look of the new Fiesta, the new driver friendly dash board/controls and especially the 4.5 star safety rating. However, being a completely new to Ford Fiesta and driving (only got my full licence recently) I need more information to make an informed choice.

I was under the impression that German build would create a sense of it being more reliable than Thai build. I don't have the experience to tell (haven't test drive either one) and I don't mean to be racist in anyway, but it was my impression.

Being the reliability, performance, easy of maintenance "hard-core" that I am, I was really leaning toward any German built thing :P. I was even considering buying a second-hand Focus just for that "German engineer" slogan they were toting around a couple of years back.

I guess the next sensible step for me now is to book a test drive for both the WS and the WT model and see which one I like better.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:59 AM   #6
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing beats actually driving a car. Take it for a drive, and not around the block.

Tell them you want it for an hour or two. Take it home, does it fit up or down the driveway, is the boot big enough for your luggage, groceries, the back enough for your children or family, does it go up the hills around your place good enough, do you feel comfortable driving it - ie you can get the steering, seat, mirrors etc where you want them, can you park it easy enough, does it feel solid, safe and quiet etc.

Then when your happy, do the deal and dont be too nice.. You want free mats, tank of fuel etc.

Good Luck
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by someon3
I'm eyeing up the 5 doors Fiesta LX manual, Zetec is out of my budget ATM and I better stay away from any performance inspired car, given my impulsive behaviour.
The Zetec is more of an LX, but with bigger wheels, some more kit and a body kit. It actually has the same engines as the other models. The new WT LX is absolutely brimming with kit however.

Quote:
I really like the look of the new Fiesta, the new driver friendly dash board/controls and especially the 4.5 star safety rating.
The WS Zetec and WS ECOnetic have a 5 star safety rating, any WS CL and LX model with the optional safety pack also have the five star rating. The new WT LX and Zetec both have the five star rating, and actually have the addition of side curtain airbags over the WS model.

Quote:
I was under the impression that German build would create a sense of it being more reliable than Thai build.
I thought the same. After sitting inside a WT model for a while, then taking it for a good drive I can say that it's very well built. The only real difference is the loss of the soft touch dash, and some minor differences in plastic materials.

Quote:
I guess the next sensible step for me now is to book a test drive for both the WS and the WT model and see which one I like better.
Best idea. You're the one living with it, so it has to suit you. Good luck, I hope the Fiesta impresses you as much as it has impressed me! Hope I haven't confused you either