Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 07-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
XR6 STEVE
BA XR6 MKII

Default Ford Fiesta - Engine rattling/knocking - Please help!

hey guys,

my daily runabout i recently bought is a little 05 ford fiesta - with only 27 000kms.

The engine knocks (gets quicker as the revs rise). The mechanic around the corner says its not good at all and it shows excessive engine wear. I bought the car from a middle aged lady that used it to get to the shops and back. Its immaculate.

What could it be? tappets? etc I have just changed the oil to fully synethic 5w 30 (as in the manual) and it still does it

How much to fix something like this? $$$?

heres a youtube video of the sound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW1tTJEIOA4

Thoughts?

XR6 STEVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

Look at the ignition leads, spark plugs and drain the fuel and put 98 in it for a few tanks. Also check the fuel filter and air filter. More problems arise due to lack of use!!!
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
XR6 STEVE
BA XR6 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpiston
Look at the ignition leads, spark plugs and drain the fuel and put 98 in it for a few tanks. Also check the fuel filter and air filter. More problems arise due to lack of use!!!
thanks i will try all that - but from the sounds of the tapping and from what the mechanic has told me the damage is done???

what sort of price am i looking at to get this fixed?

and if i leave it will it still be fine for a long time?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Chances are she was running it on 91 & bumbled around at low revs. 91 can make these engines run a bit rough.
A couple of tanks of 98 & a thrash through the gears could do wonders.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
Chances are she was running it on 91 & bumbled around at low revs. 91 can make these engines run a bit rough.
A couple of tanks of 98 & a thrash through the gears could do wonders.
My thoughts exactly. Some BP Ultimate will help clean the engine out.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
XR6 STEVE
BA XR6 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
My thoughts exactly. Some BP Ultimate will help clean the engine out.
will give it a shot on the next fill guys - my concern though is if the damage has been done to the top end (tappets, springs etc) (they are very noisy) i dont see how some good fuel will fix them.

Will still try and report back
Old 08-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
burnz
VFII SS UTE

fist off it sound like too much play in the lifters... have them adjusted to spec.

stay away from ethanol blends..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
XR6 STEVE
BA XR6 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
fist off it sound like too much play in the lifters... have them adjusted to spec.

stay away from ethanol blends..
thanks for the advice. What is the rough cost on this? and how would they get in this way to start with, with only 27 000 kms.

thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 11:35 PM   #9
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven087
i dont see how some good fuel will fix them.
You'd think not, but it's amazing the difference with some quality fuel. A friend has a base model WS Fiesta, only ever ran it on E10 fuel, I swear it felt like a different car. After 20,000km the engine felt rough, unrefined, didn't like to rev and by god it liked a good drink. A month or so and a couple of tanks of 98RON later, the engine was reborn. 95RON in the minimum fuel quality in many Euro countries, where the Fiesta was designed, and I'm a big believer that using at least 95RON will see improvements in fuel consumption, engine feel and pickup, not to mention engine refinement.

But perhaps your car has been babied and saturated in E10 all its life? Hope it's nothing major fella.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
macou

i was getting a bit of pinging in my WS. I started using premium and the pinging has disappeared, she's a bit livelier and more efficient too. I'm no mechanic, so these are pure a lay person's observations.
macou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
Low006
Formerly "BOOFHEAD"

I have just listened to the vid and it sounded exactly like my FG did. When the Ford Techs looked into it they found that the 2nd exhaust lobe had a crack and the camshaft had to be replaced. I was lucky, I still have warranty. As for $ you don't know until they start pulling things apart. The biggest cost is your labour. I suggest you find outfor a start how much labour/hr is charged by your mechanic and see if you can get it down a bit.

"It's only a Pinhole!" XP resto(SOLD)
Low006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #12
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

You usually find engines on ebay cheap under 1000 dollars. cant be that hard to fit it. and i am a firm believer of the Premium Petrol it makes the world of difference i go for high octane E10 no pinging same power and no unusual engine noises, usually get it from United Petroleum
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The one time my Mrs put regular in her WQ Fez it ran like a dog. From then on only BP Ultimate and no dramas since.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
XR6 STEVE
BA XR6 MKII

well i have put BP ulitimate in it and it still makes the tapping sound - i was expecting this though as if there is damage to the lifters/ tappets changing the fuel wont fix this..

i guess i have to get it to a mechanic and get the engine open to have a look - although im just tempted to drive it till it dies
Old 15-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #15
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep in mind, it'll take several tanks of 98RON to make any major differences in terms of how the engine runs. Takes a few tanks to clean the engine out. By the sounds though it seems a lot more serious.
Old 26-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #16
80rs

I would say the main problem could be the oil that has been used. Zetecs in the uk are famous from dying at low kays due to either not changing the oil at regular intervals or using the incorrect grade oil. Id say its time for a new engine and it shouldnt take more than 4-5hours to replace it
80rs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post